•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

SantaBuds

Mapito contamination / root bugs

Hey guys,

any of u ever had problems with bugs on roots using mapito?? I think there are eggs on the mapito... A bunch of our friends got the same mapito and we got the same problem...some sort of black bugs crawling on roots.. Initially we thought it got contaminated in the stock room of the store we bought.. i contacted them and they said they would get new mapito.. i went there to check when i got there, the mapito looked the same and had eggs in it too.

Problem there is only one person who imports it and distribute it to our country...

i'm thinking if there is somethings i could do like flush the mapito with boiling water or with h202... any clues?

other options i have is to buy the rock wool slabs and cut it myself.. but it will cost me more + the job of cutting them...

this sucks!! a few growers lots time and effort with this mapito!

• Like 1

eggs tend to be pretty hardy, might want something that targets eggs specifically like horticultural oils (not neem oil) most of which are considered "Organic".

they suffocate the adults bugs by encapsulating them in a bubble/film and penetrate the eggs to kill them as well.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 1

My heart sank when reading this. Was it mapito or growpito? Name on package.

I do not have a quick answer specifically. If it possible to identify it them it will help. any pics or see if you can find example on internet will help much.

We will likely need to address the whole life cycle of the bugs. How serious is infection right now? Do they fly or just crawl or just in a stage or you do not know? What is condition of plants? Pics will probably tell me more than words but it is ok if you cannot, describe best you can. I assume young plants and not flowering plants or early flower? This matters.

This is a site I really like for pest and other plant problems, see if they can show what it might be and I have not seen a recommendation for a fix I did not like them. http://www.growweede...mptoms-pictures

I generically recommend Harkers (could not find the link to the one I am thinking, I will look more if wanted) but I do not know what one and I do not know if it will kill the eggs.

I will be back specifically later for this. We will work it.

Hempyfan,

my understanding is that mapito is a neutral base, which includes lots of rock wool, foams, etc, I don't see how boiling water could hurt the substrate, just don't do that with a plant in there.

Hey Starinhazy, I just quoted on you on this thread as a jink I think made two post for him. I have no input on boiling and did not want that question to get lost in other post. I apologize if I crossed a line as I did this and have no input.

Hempyfan,

i currently don't have anything on mapito... but my friends have the same mapito that i bought and they have flies and bugs crawling into their plants... and they are flowering already... i can see the eggs in the unused mapito also but very difficult do take decent pic of them. i don't have a macro camera... could see them also on the new box of mapito in the store..

i dunno about the brand, cause they fractioned it at store... it's not growpito... they came from euroupe inside big paper boxes... when i got to the store the boxes were all beaten up and had some opened places.. sketchy..

i flushed mine twice with boiling water.. 1st i flushed it with warm tap water.... let it soak up and than i flushed it with boiling water... let the boiling water cook them there... hope it works at all...

i will plant clone to that and we will see in few days... what pisses me off is that the only mapito there is here to buy is all contaminated.. maybe i'm gonna have to buy those wool slabs and cut them in pieces...

let's see how this goes..

Ok, so flies, Here is what I would do.

Get some kind of mosquito killer, BTI, a bacteria toxic to mosquitoes. I like this similar is good too. https://www.microbel...squito-control/

A few drops in a res is enough and use everytime for a long time. You need to kill the cycle and this will prevent them from getting to the adult stage to reproduce but will eventually get rid of issue.

Mosquito dunks works too but will take a bit longer to take hold. The fliers are passed hurting the plants, it is when the hatch when they eat roots. Mosquito dunks have BTI.

I believe Harkers works well and I know people use it for pest situations in mapito but I have no direct experience.

When you put dry mapito on top after planting, you can put some diamotous earth on top. I have not done this with mapito but should be fine but will only be viable dry. You can put this on the plants too. It is not harmful to us but maybe not so much in flower. It is a very fine powder that is tiny sharp and will dehydrate and kill some types of pest. It is nothing to us and you can eat. Get food grade, it is important only food grade is used.

When you first see no fliers, they will be back if the cycle is not broken. Will take about a month or two be confident its over wholly.

A Neem drench of all the roots, so above and below watering with it with a bit of, a drop or two of oil but I am unsure with mapito but I am unsure of this in the media for mapito. I would get more advice on that as my inexperience with it in mapito gives me pause but I do not believe it would be an problem off hand.

Not all mapito is made equally and much of it can come from waste materials. This is why I like Growpito, they have it made and not a recycled and uncleaned product. Not a sales pitch, just a reason in part why I like them. This is why most people will make their own mapito, control of quality over materials used.

I agree mapito is not as simple as it may appear but it has an appeal that is hard to deny. I believe for most, a good organic soil recipe is ideal but once you get your grow legs and want to learn the next level. Mapito or any hydro or system that allows for advanced plant control. I will say this

Growpito/mapito has taught me an appreciation for aspects about plant nutrition. It is for this that it holds a special place for me. I hope your workings are as enriching.

Eggs can be hard to kill. I do not believe peroxide, H202 at 3% will kill the eggs but it will kill the larva and is a good start. (Generally only use H202 with no other ingredients when applying.) Some people will do this every time they see fliers to immediately take out the larva eating the roots. See a flier, many larva having a meal on your plants.

Tip to find larva, put an inch or a few centimeter long potato, the larva will be attracted to and come to it an about a 4-6 hours, if they are their, they will be all over it.

After treated, increase air flow, add fans to container level increasing air turbulence for the fliers. Make sure no dead leaves and such on media. This is a dinner bell for pests.

As a preventative measure, I recommend always using a BTI mosquito killer on top of soils and/or microlyft BTI product in water in. With regular use the problem will not typically be known.

Be sure to always treat new media for pest before using. This is more of an issue with dirt but your problem goes to show to not take anything for granted.

• Like 1

Ow have herd this before some years back ...hempy sharky had this same problem think his was gnats drove him crazy.best bet and safest is to steam the mapito ,,most of the mapito in Europe is a recycled product sharky went back they told him the same thing but the new bags had bugs all so .........The growpito is made from virgin wool :showoff:= no bugs .What ever you decide research!!!!!! Some of that bug wack is like agent orange .

• Like 3

hempy, thanks for the reply bro... i appreciate your attention...

it's not that easy finding those products here.. i found BTI in one online shop but its out of stock and i can't seem to find it anywhere else... i need to get it.. its good to have it at home... diatomaceous earth is something i also tried to buy before with no luck... i'm here trying on google..

about the h202, i'm not so sure... i was gonna ask in another post if anyone uses beneficial tea on mapito... i do brew this tea with lots of roots beneficials bacterias and fungus.. and feed them to plants on veg and on 1st week of flower.. .make them roots explode... don't think it would be good with h202.. dunno...

about the mapito.. one year ago if u wanted to buy mapito in brazil you couldn't.. there is only this guy who imports it from euroupe, along with some grow cubes and other products.... unfortunately the only way i can get growpito here is if i import it... i will check how much it will cost me but i'm sure with the big dimensions shipping won't be cheap... and still have to pay 60% taxes on every import... sucks a lot...

drip, i steamed them twice with boiling water... i thought that would hurt the eggs somehow but they remain intact... maybe they've been boiled.. dunno... i'm gonna try it with a clone and see it it attracts anything...

i wanted to try the clones with mapito for quick veg before i change everything.. but now i'm concerned...