•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Growboy

Converting a wardrobe into a stealth grow room

Hi forum,

Start of a room for a friend it needs to be hidden & quiet/silent!

zmdNzxD.jpg

zuBbiNw.jpg

lc6DY2F.jpg

• Like 5

should put your fan in front of your filter or unfiltered air can be pulled in if there's a leak between the filter and the fan.

Thanks for the tip BalzOut!

Had a think about the possibility of leaks using a cool tube and blowing out some unfiltered air. I believe this could be minimal and if it does it will not matter as the outlet is directly outside (open air).

Because of space limitations and I want to box in the Blauberg Iso Mix 125 Inline Air Extractor on it's own to get it super silent even using a silencer directly onto the output and use Acoustic Insulated Flexible Ducting.

I have chosen for a bit of over kill as we lose some power with bends, filter & use of a silencer the wardrobe has a volume of 1.1 cubic meter. Need to see if I can use 125mm ducting and the air inlet 5 times the outlet size should do the trick, hopefully the Inline Air Extractor can run at a 60% capacity!

Iso-mix_1.219x219.jpg?a1c65b4ccb55f990104b1db63ec36e16

Sound pressure level at 3 m distance, [dBA] (min) 23

Sound pressure level at 3 m distance, [dBA] (max) 28

Maximum air capacity, [m³/h] (min) 235

Maximum air capacity, [m³/h] (max) 347

Btw. will go for a HPS 250W + Electronic Ballasts

I'm betting the main noise would come from rushing air at the intake, and for that I would just experiment after it was put together. Make sure you can get to all those baffles and such after it's done, just in case you have to change the shape or add soft material, or whatever.

• Like 2

Heres another idea for your air intake/light baffles, I adapted this form an old cab design I saw years ago. works great, and allows access to everything if you need. The floor sits on the baffles which are 1 1/2" or so tall, and air space around the floor panel edge is about 1 ". There is no noise at the intake if you have enough vents cut in the floor, also a screen is hot glued over the bottom from the outside so no creepy crawlers get in. This design needs to be raised up off the floor, but moves the intake underneath the cab so no vent is in sight, I went with 3/4" spacers on this small cab , and doubled them up on my large cabs. Also can lift out the floor panel between runs and vac that baby out.

Just an idea, this was a small germ/clone cab I made years ago, with a 2' 4 bulb T5 fixture mounted in the top and 4" fan port for cooling.

gallery_8227_5122_1116210.jpg

gallery_8227_5122_114345.jpg

gallery_8227_5122_1543727.jpg

• Like 3

@growboy , phonic trap ducting is very good , expensive but good : )

12v computer fans running on 12v adaptor so that can be dimmed ( 3v , 6 v , 9 v , etc ) are also very stealthy

If there was space I would go an air cooled reflector instead of the cool tube like a black orchid one

The phonic ducting if you buy 6 inch then the outside diameter will be like 8 because of the extra insulation in it , just so you know if space is an issue ....... Still worth it

Also what balza said : )

Theirs more cooling effect pushing the air past the bulb than pulling past it I think

I would just lower the light , not filter and light

if you are using a prefabricated cabinet for this project you could put two of them back to back to have more grow space.

i'd hang a 4 or 6 hundred watt bare bulb with a 8" or 10" in-line fan exhausting air. the bigger fans are more efficient and make less noise. the more air you can pull through the better. important to have an active in-take, at least a couple pc fans. a speed controller on the exhaust fan makes it easy to dial in temps.

or if budget allows it you could go with led's. the colorado growers group that a friend of mine is a member of recently switched to all callifornia lightworks solar flare led's. 110 watts a piece they run 12 in a large tent that's about 8 x 12. guys told me their gpw's went up close to 20%. that's really impressive knowing their yields before were fucking amazing. a low yielding strain like cherry pie they would average over a gpw. with most higher yielding strains they have will more than double that.

@misterdirt, when did you move to tanga, did you get sick of michigan already? and don't wet your self dude, take a piss already.

• Like 2

I would consider quality led lighting for the heating aspect alone. Build to environment first.

Look forward to more of this.

Also what balza said : )

Theirs more cooling effect pushing the air past the bulb than pulling past it I think

when you pull air you create a low pressure area around the light so that the air is thinner and can't pick up as much heat to carry it away.

when you push air you create a high pressure area around the bulb, denser air picks up more heat, no Idea how much difference it makes in practice though.

the fan noise isn't actually coming from the fan, it's caused by air turbulence, keeping your ducting as straight as you can helps quite a bit, stepping up to a bigger diameter pipe between the fan and he outlet also helps reduce turbulence.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 3

Even if the difference was small a lot of small improvements can make a big difference

Kaizen lol

Dam , I should have kept that for the word game haha

When the bedroom is totally quite you will always hear something that will draw someone too it , the only way to completely stelthy is with the distraction of noise from a fish tank or a radio station on low lol ......... (what about escaping light )

When it's sunny and my neibours are sitting near the grow I play my washing machine and tumble dryer tape : )

Funny, I'm cutting up and remaking a grow for nice elderly lady from a cheapo craft closet she had and is not using.

I always put the filter/fan outside the grow, up in the attic when possible.

I wish it was easier to get my photos from the cam to the computer.

I'd go with a dimmable 400HPS rather than a 250w, only cost a few bucks more, mine runs at 200/300/400 watts so I can run it at 300 in the winter and 200 in the summer when it's warmer in the house.

you might want to build a bigger cabinet someday and need the bigger light.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

Update,

Have a look and see the progress:

• Like 1