•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

In my opinion, Growpito works best in Sea Of Green type grows where the root system doesn't become extensive. I want fewer plants so I'm willing to process the mapito for the next cycle. If you're growing bushes the root mat takes many days to break down.

I didn't document my work reclaiming it but this is the biggest drawback for me; it was a bunch of work compared to throwing away a coir root ball. I'll use hydrogen peroxide more freely in the future and maybe build a bench so I'm not bending over, working in the heavy duty totes (20-27Gal) filled with H2O2 water (or dilute nute solution with enzymes). I'll also add an aquarium heater to hasten breakdown.

The new bags read 1.5 cu ft (42.5L) so 11.2 US gallons per bag.

Thanks ledfoot for the response ,3 bags should be plenty for a 30 gal tub so 1 box which contains 3 bags should do the trick !

My experiance with the root mat after a 8 wk grow and a 3 week veg in a 4 gal pot was about 3-1/2 inches I broke it up and distributed it throughout the growpito I don't really see it being too much root that a person has to worry about although (I did remove the large root ball) I didn't replant immediately and left the material in the pot sitting on my deck,just checked it today and the roots that are present shouldn't be a issue ! Remember every use the product improves so having roots in the material is a added bonus is what I've been told !

I'll check to confirm what I've posted to make sure the information is correct ! Shiska

I dug these out of the garbage to illustrate the difference. The plant on the left required several days of thrashing the root mat with a mop handle in the rinsing tote. I also had an airstone for agitation. There was no way I could ignore the amount of dying organic matter before starting a new run and Growpito is too expensive to throw away.

gallery_6205_5419_73850.jpg

• Like 1

Growpito update:

With the help of a couple friends I was able to get my pito tables sorted out...got them all ready for the totes and then soaked the growpito with 5.5 ph water as directed.

Just could not get this stuff to stabilize...

NOVICE grower here (only been growing weed since 1987!), so my opinion is just that...an opinion - nevertheless I decided not to set up a whole table with a medium I am unfamiliar with. Returns kept coming out at 7.5 - 7.8, which IMHO is too high for cannabis.

I did manage to get this stuff to drain without squeezing it dry, which I felt changed the texture too much. By soaking the pito and then standing the totes up on edge, I found that the stuff drains rather well with the help of gravity.

Kept enough of the drained pito for a 3 gallon pot and dropped a clone in there just to see...the rest of the clones will be going into grodan hugo blocks (6"x6") and placed on top of a slab. This is the way I learned how to grow hydro with rockwool...

I will probably start a new thread to document this for my og crew.

So sad to say that I will not be running a room full of this growpito, as I was really psyched about this new medium. But it is what it is and at the end of the day I have to do what I feel comfortable doing. If I'm not having fun growing weed then I shouldn't be doing it.

:innocent:

Many thanks to Uncle Buck for taking the time out of his busy schedule to come down and help a fellow out! Also to the Dude for everything - All of that work was not in vain, my friend. I am getting ready to put the pedal to the floor here in a minute...

• Like 5

i'd do at least one pot too just to see...to ruin a whole run if something is not right just sucks big time. but don't give up too early on it somewhere the hype has to come from :D

greetz

• Like 1

Grodan blocks on slabs used to be my thing. :) You gonna run spaghetti lines for drip MM420?

• Like 1

I would not easily recommend mapito to someone who is not familiar to a comfortable level in hydro growing. It is a precision and unforgiving media but the rewards are impressive when all is well. It is not also not as flexible as other medias to easily accommodate changes in basic instruction for significant reasons.

Something is very odd that the PH would come back so high. Not a normal aspect.

The roots in the mapito are fine but if you added some enzymes towards the end it would be better. Be careful with enzymes in veg. It can take away nitrogen so be prepared to foliar a bit if a bit yellow while things settle out but typically should not be an issue.

The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence as they say and if your system is not broke, dont fix it is my best advice. Mapito is not really good for new to growers of various levels.

I would say this with all style but certainly more true I think with hydroponic growing. You should have an understanding of appreciation of

• Environment impact on plant per life cycle.
  • Nutritional needs per life cycle of plant and environmental conditions.
  • Plant management techniques to match genetics and environment for best quality and yield.

Until you have a firm knowledge of that I would not easily recommend attempting a mapito grow as it will be in part a gamble for you.

Their are pluses and minuses to every growing technique. Mapito has fast growth and you see the plants reaction very fast to what you do. However, she requires attention and no matter how these guys say hardly nothing this is only partially part correct.

To me, mapito/growpito are like sports car media. For some, its the greatest thing but others it holds no excitement for. Both sides are correct in their merit but only in line with their perspective (point of view).

I caution people to understand a media or any product before jumping in with both feet. For those who are ready for it, they will likely find it a great media but for those who are merely "wanting" to the point they think they are ready for it I worry for.

Mapito is kind of like having a kid. You cant really be lazy with it or put it off for a day or so like you can with other medias. Also, I can truly say I am not sure what I would say is more impressive. A truly quality dirt grow or a truly quality mapito grow. I see beauty in both but I think it depends on personal preference for the type of growing you are doing.

For me, growpito/mapito is about precision and it does have lower water use but I am not so sure what those numbers would actually come to be in savings as I have not seen side by sides with water monitored. This over time even better.

Just some thoughts. I am sorry you had issues with the mapito. Something was off to keep giving you back those high PH values. It can take a short minute or so for things to stabilize but you have illustrated something that seems more and I am not aware of returns remotely that high.

Glad you only tested a bit and not all in. Unless like 25% increase I would not easily switch grow methods unless to learn or other justified reasons all things going well.

• Like 2

Grodan blocks on slabs used to be my thing. :) You gonna run spaghetti lines for drip MM420?

Hand feeding for now, my Verdant friend...but I'm looking into the floraflex caps that were suggested to me by a good friend.

One of the great things about grodan is that it's user friendly...The pito seemed like it would be perfect for me. In reality though, I would much rather be an apprentice to a master pito grower before ever doing a full run of it by myself. I'm pretty game, but when I called Uncle Buck and told him about the ph issue he was stumped as well. So I just picked up. No sense wasting a good dog on a bad day

It's not just the fact of the ph, either. I found this stuff to be a bit messy (I have a witness) and not so easy to drain without destroying the structural integrity of the medium. It's recommended in Esko's thread to squish it and then fluff it, but I found that compresses it too much and breaks up all of the little fluffy fibers into dust.

:thumbsdown:

I had great results with the original batch that I recieved and I'm almost positive that this new batch was much lighter in color? Almost white with more of those little black cubes in it. I just don't know. I think this new mix may need some fine tuning on the manufacturing side of the house. We shall see...There is one Duchess in a 3gallon pot with the growpito under t5

gallery_9799_5725_47067.jpg

gallery_9799_5725_79908.jpg

I managed to get the stuff to drain without squishing it by setting the tote up on end - almost vertically until the point where the pito would fall out. Gravity drained most of the water, leaving the top half of the crate quite dry but still moist. Light and fluffy so I scooped enough for a tester in spite of the fact that my pen (just calibrated and brand spanking new) continued to read 7.8!

:huh:

Anyway, I put the rest of the duchess that were already in 4" blocks on top of the 6" blocks, and then put those on top of the slabs.

So basically, in the time it took to soak the pito I was able to soak, drain, and set up an entire table of cubes/slabs

gallery_9799_5725_66907.jpg

gallery_9799_5725_26200.jpg

gallery_9799_5725_64072.jpg

GO with what you KNOW

• Like 4

Wow, the floraflex has multibenefits with even watering as well as being easily adjusted and doubling as an algae cap. :) cool tech I had not seen one before. Thanx

Keep it up Mad

• Like 2

Is Growpito the third US mapito company to go out of business? The website still links to Amazon but neither Growpito nor their beneficials is available for sale.

I just started my second Growpito grow but I can only give a lukewarm recommendation at this point.

• Like 2

Have you simply tried communicating with them by their preferred method (likely email or phone)? I might start there if ya haven't. Or maybe pm Shishka...

• Like 1

Hempyfan post#35 hit the nail on the head.

I also would not recommend anyone switch over their entire grow to a new method/medium/nutrient line, etc..without first doing a test run.

Luckily I had access to some rockwool cubes that weren't going to be used so I just dumped the babies into the grodan and now it's off to the races...To nail a hydro run timing is usually a major factor. If you can time your transplants and feedings correctly the whole process is way easier imho

Good thing I know enough about hydroponics that I was able to prevent a major setback, but with that being said I have to admit that I wasn't too impressed with the batch of growpito I had to work with. The only good thing about it was the price (free!) otherwise I would probably have made some noise. Like I mentioned previously, this stuff was totally different than the first growpito I used last year (also a free sample...) so the jury is still out on performance. Last year I didn't have the same issue with the returns being so high in ph

Now that I ran it I have to agree with dieseldog though, waaaaaay too expensive.

• Like 2

Have you simply tried communicating with them by their preferred method (likely email or phone)? I might start there if ya haven't. Or maybe pm Shishka...

This is The Grapevine section so it seems like a good place to start rumors.

:)

I haven't communicated with them because I don't really care. This stuff takes way too much work and I'm not saving any water. I can't pour the soaking solution down the floor drain for fear of the glass fibers never breaking down. I've been hauling buckets outside to dump and my back is worn out.

• Like 3

Growpito is not in a healthy place at the moment and may not be a thing much longer, I am not connected so I have no insight.

Price point is insane, it was not set at the original price as I think they raised their cost in the end or something odd but I would never consider buying at that price point.

I would just make mapito the traditional way if wanted but seriously, if what you are not doing is not broke dont fix it. But I also understand learning different methods but rarely is the grass true greener on the other side of the fence as they say.

• Like 5

Making your own pito is a great idea!

Just remember "gigo" (garbage in garbage out) and start with some quality stuff to better your chances of success. I was enraptured the first time I read Esko's thread on flooding mapito and have not lost the urge to try it since. I will throw up some pics today for the hounds...

• Like 1

This is a weird twilight zone for business in the US right now. Missouri is a very "red" state, the last I heard (thinking of Maverick, RIP). Cannabis is very much Schedule One across the land (in theory). I have some advice for any future US mapito companies but it doesn't really matter.

Cannabis does like to grow in Growpito. I just plant seeds 5/8" deep in small clods of the fiber and they grow. This is only the second time I've done this; Sugar Punch is 7 out of 8 but only half the Boudica germinated (although I did receive 18 seeds for the price of 10). Edit: all seeds germinated; I'm still pinching the damp clods closed too tightly.

Two bags of the new white Growpito were mixed into my last batch. Green surface algae is from misting with dilute nute solution while the seeds sprouted. I might try spraying 3% H2O2 later on, just for cosmetic reasons.

gallery_6205_5419_98277.jpg

My new Cree COB setup.

Edited by ledfoot
  • Like 4

put some plastic or any over over top of mapito or just put some dry on top and algae will stop.

Fungas gnats love that stuff and unless its slimy and rotting (reduces nitrogen) it wont bother much but try to reduce.

Your lights remind of band lights. Love it. What instruments they play!

• Like 1

I was thinking of buying another bag to top dress dry but I did not want yet another big box coming to my door with a graphic Growpito sticker on it.