•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

PistilPete

Seduced by Sannies Seeds' -Variety & Value.

Greetings to all OpenGrowers!

I have been a stalker on the forum for some time. Usually I find the info I need from archived threads so I never bothered to sign up. . . . The reason I finally signed up here at OG is my recent interest in Sannies Seeds (plus the other affiliated breeders on here). I have not come across another breeder that interacts with the community in the same was as Sannie & OpenGrow. Being able to communicate direct with the Breeder is a rare thing!

A little about me.... I have been growing for about six years indoors (some half ass outdoor bag seed as a teenager got me interested in growing first). I started in a 1.2m sq tent with peat/soil and 'organic' bottles of nutrients. I had patchy Internet access and had to learn the old fashioned way- by making lots of mistakes!! The usual suspects- over feeding, overwatering, high temps etc etc. it took a while before I got any decent yield but gradually I got my shit together and became a bit of a 'nerd' by reading the grow forums and horticultural literature.

I found my way to Hydro by accident. A friend had failed with his DWC and gifted me a few buckets & airstones with a small air pump. Even without a separate res and wild swings in EC and pH my DWC plants out yielded the soil plants by nearly double. .. . . I was converted to hydro from then on.

I ran a large (by my standards!) room 4mX5m with 56 RDWC buckets and a scrog net over the top, the yield was good and the growth was very vigorous. The big problem was acces to the back of the room, I would crawl under the net to train and trim the plants and had backaches and headaches from the awkward positions and sometimes accidentally kick or kneel on a rdwc drain hose and flood the room (getting very wet myself!).... We thought about using several smaller nets or leavin a gap round the edges of the room but the plants just grew out into any free space so access was always a bitch!!

After an issue with law enforcement I learned that any cannabis plant (seedlings included) are valued at €800 regardless of size! I also learned that any drugs exceeding €13,000 meant a mandatory sentence of 10 years! (30% reduction for early guilty plea!)..... This information changed the game for me!! Instead of focusing on yield per light or per sq metre I had to start thinking in terms of yield per plant.

So anything over 16 plants means 10 years in jail!!

The owner of the 4mX5m room wanted less plants in the next cycle, he set a limit of 24 plants and commissioned me to work some magic! ..... This is how I got into vertical bulbs and vertical canopy.

First round hit nearly the same yield as with 56 plants! The veg time was about 3 weeks extra but most of this was done in veg room so overall the cycle took an extra 10 days or so.

I was running an indica Dom hybrid that I had selected for scrog, it has minimal stretch and the vertical nets had some empty space towards the top (loss of potential canopy).

The guy was happy with the strain and reluctant to run any sativas due to previous fails. I knew I could get more yield with a taller strain and tried to explain my logic but anything over 8weeks was not considered acceptable.

Eventually we parted way (still friends) and he runs 24 plants vertical net style and gets less yield than when I was there but puts in less effort into the training/pruning and also he gets more popcorn buds etc he doesn't smoke cannabis at all so doesn't have the same enthusiasm for quality as me.

I have had a short break from growing but an opportunity has come up and I will have access to a big room again. I want to run vertical bulbs with large plants / trees. The VSCROG net is optional (labour intensive) or I might just let em grow big...

I got some NL5xHaze from Sensi to get me started and from 15 fem I expect to find a keeper or 2. I ran it before in a tent and had height issues so didn't keep a mother. Now that I have lots of head room I want to 'work with the stretch' and use that extra height to get more canopy. The price was ridiculous for the Sensi Nl5xHazes but I know they are reliable.

I am here on OG because I intend to run some of Sannies / Esko strains. In Ireland weed is very generic, nearly always called "ammo" or amnesia even when it is clearly indica. Boutique or "top shelf" weed commands high prices and is hard to come by. I want to be growing something that stands out from the "ammo" and "cheese". . . . Something with a good portion of sativa to give height but eleven weeks bloom would be about as long as I would go for a keeper.

I am ready to try a few strains side by side and hunt for that special mother. Sannies Jack and Killing Fields caught my eye (kolossus maybe too short/ indica like?) the Sensi seeds pack was over €200 so I am thinking that I should spend the same at Sannies and get many many more seeds and some variety....

Any growers with good yieldin tall strains from Sannie & co please chime in. The Jack & Killing Fields are already on the list... What else should I be trying??

Sorry for long post!!

P.

• Like 2

Nice intro PP :wave:

What Gregster said; there are a lot of gems to find here in the shop.

A lot of Sativa hybrids to choose from.

I think the Jack and KF are great to start with.

• Like 2

If you were on a desert island forever, and could only have one strain for the rest of your life, Sannies Jack would be it.

In the states, they inflate everything to ridiculous " street" values because the cops get federal money for the value of pot they bust. More busts, more money. That's why 3 plants in a closet are valued at $15000, on the street!

Welcome! Silver fields is a real killer, too, and huge yields.

• Like 2

Yea welcome to og budy. Can't go wrong here . Can't go back to street bought after growing from here. Doesn't touch the sides in comparrison

• Like 1

Silverfields - YES

Hammerhead!!!

Sannie's Jack - will blow you away with buckets of DANK

The list goes on and on and on...you can hardly make a bad choice when ordering from Sannie's Shop

(Chucky on the freebie list???)

Damn

• Like 2

Nice intro, Pete. Bunch of good decent stretch Sativas at the shop. (Yeah Mad you saw it on the freebies too :) ). Imagine 8' Silverfields trees. I just had the thought, "wish I had vaulted ceilings." And I wouldn't mind a forest of Sannie's Jack. Cheeseberry Haze (not as much Sativa maybe) would be a top pick of mine.

• Like 1

check out esko's gear for allover winners that make other

seedmakers blush in shame ... you wont be disapointed B)

... and check on NAWgear for medicinal effects ;)

• Like 2

I've never grown the Shack - but everyone raves about it fo sho

NAW is top shelf imho

Sinister freebies...

Chocolate rain and the mexiconnection...( I agree with San on this one - Esko gives the goodies)

For the price, this shop has the best variety of proven stock around. I've said it before but add that to Sannie's level of customer service/satisfaction and it is the gold standard for seed vendors

• Like 4

it's a trap! they suck you in with excellent quality genetics at incredibly fair prices and get you to order again and again with their super polite, friendly and helpful customer service. you should avoid dealing with someone like sannie because he has real honest business ethics, something that is extremely rare, because it can become very habit forming. to the point of being addictive.

• Like 4

Thanks for the welcoming replies and suggestions.... I am now thinking that I will have to do a coco run to Pheno hunt. If I run RDWC then I will have to run my EC at the level that suits the lightest feeders and risk under feeding the hungrier plants- if I run coco to waste then I will be able to tailor my recipe to each individual if needed. Also I will be able to move the plants around which is not possible with a plumbed rdwc system. Once I have my keeper(s) i will set up the dwc and go for gold! Been running same mother for a few years so haven't had to deal with multi strain grows.

I am thinking that regular seeds would be more hassle short term but the stability of regular females (instead of fems) will be better in the long term... I am looking for keepers so I am prepared to cull a few males and second best females to get something special. Are regs preferable to fems as mothers? Would an older fem be prone to hermaphroditism more than a reg? Or am i just making work for myself sifting out the males in the regular seeds? .....It's like being a kid in a sweet shop and i just found out the sweets are much cheaper than the other sweet shops! It just makes me wanna try them all!! I will spend at least the same as I spent on the NL5haze and getso much more!

I spent hours looking at forum grows and Sannies descriptions but I still can't make the final decision!

Thanks agin for the feedback! See you's all soon! Next post will be my final choices!

P.

• Like 1

Due to the ridiculously low prices from Sannies, I've oft wondered if it's not a Communist conspiracy to subvert our minds with the "heathen devil weed, marijuana". ( Howard Hessman, Billy Jack, 1971)

Just saying, no one gives away seeds this great, for this little, to so many, unless they're just pretty cool folks.

Hi Pete

Welcome

first sannie jack is the one that gets me also killing fields

Sugar punch is a hell of a hybrid also

The prices are reasonable and quick delivery and service is awesome

( I agree with by brother OG's it's a plot to trap us lol)

Great intro also

Don't for get when you order mention your a open grow member ,tell sannie you OG name and you may get some extras I got islayharts silverfields x budacia cross

Sage grow have fun

Papalag

• Like 1

Good questions PistilPete.

"Are regs preferable to fems as mothers? Would an older fem be prone to hermaphroditism more than a reg? Or am i just making work for myself sifting out the males in the regular seeds?"

Some of this is a hot debate and many people have different points-of-view. I haven't grown reversed seed stock enough that I've had any old mothers (more than 6 months) and been able to form a more objective opinion from my notes. Properly created F1 reversed stock I have grown seem impressively stable so far. But I have previously had negative results from some multiply inbred feminized stock too. Not enough data for me to say yes or no... I prefer "regs" but I also like French Roast Coffee, Border Collies and beautiful ladies. :) The type of seed run where you look for moms and sift through males and garbage is part of what I do in getting to read/learn a strain and helps some to get me dialed in faster off the clones.

From the production angle you may be coming from you also seem to be looking for something which roots fast and liked to bulk up and gain size quickly. My inside trees have all been 5' tall or less in the last 2 yrs. But you may wanna take a peek at Kronicaine.

• Like 3

Hi Pete

Welcome

first sannie jack is the one that gets me also killing fields

Sugar punch is a hell of a hybrid also

The prices are reasonable and quick delivery and service is awesome

( I agree with by brother OG's it's a plot to trap us lol)

Great intro also

Don't for get when you order mention your a open grow member ,tell sannie you OG name and you may get some extras I got islayharts silverfields x budacia cross

Sage grow have fun

Papalag

Good tip on freebies, thank you! I will mention that I'm a member on my order sheet.

Good questions PistilPete.

"Are regs preferable to fems as mothers? Would an older fem be prone to hermaphroditism more than a reg? Or am i just making work for myself sifting out the males in the regular seeds?"

Some of this is a hot debate and many people have different points-of-view. I haven't grown reversed seed stock enough that I've had any old mothers (more than 6 months) and been able to form a more objective opinion from my notes. Properly created F1 reversed stock I have grown seem impressively stable so far. But I have previously had negative results from some multiply inbred feminized stock too. Not enough data for me to say yes or no... I prefer "regs" but I also like French Roast Coffee, Border Collies and beautiful ladies. :) The type of seed run where you look for moms and sift through males and garbage is part of what I do in getting to read/learn a strain and helps some to get me dialed in faster off the clones.

From the production angle you may be coming from you also seem to be looking for something which roots fast and liked to bulk up and gain size quickly. My inside trees have all been 5' tall or less in the last 2 yrs. But you may wanna take a peek at Kronicaine.

Thank you for your angle on my reg vs fem quandary! It is good to know that I'm not the only person in the world that thinks about details like that!

I am grateful to everyone who replied to my thread. It is a good feeling to login and see that folks took time & made the effort to answer my questions.

Welcome to the forums, PistilPete! I grew Sannie's Jack and Killing Fields in my one grow report (thus far). Although the Sannie's Jack is a great yielding potent smoke, I found that as a casual smoker I preferred the sativa leaning varieties that Killing Fields can offer. They are milder, but more euphoric. You can smoke more without knocking yourself out, and of course, the general populace drools over purple weed. I think it's a no-brainer.

Silverfields is a strain that interests me, related to KF obviously... everyone has their preferences, and honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any strain that is recommended from the wonderful growers and breeders that grace these forums.

• Like 1