•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Barreleye

Coco vs Mapito

I was thinking of doing the mapito flood/drain that seems popular here, but was wondering about coco too. Was gonna set up a 4x4 area for this.

So was just wondering what folks on here thought of the two different mediums. Any pros/cons I should consider before spending the bucks to get the kit? Why did you choose one over the other?

thanks!

• Like 2

hi barreleye i've grown weed in most things. soil, water, clay pebbles, coco and now mapito. hands down its mapito for me. flood and drain its easy. good results and short vegging times but you need to learn what the plants want and get your grow room dialed in and then its all good. o and good genetics.

I shop at Sannies, genetics aren't a problem! Just took a hit of that sugarpunch...oh yeah, i got some good genes.

My RDWC kit has become a hassle...grew for a long long time in DWC without issues and I finally hit a wall. The extra work and worry required to keep root issues at bay now is what I'm trying to eliminate from my life. Looked like ebb/flow mapito was hella easy. Might take a round of overfed/starved plants before getting feed dialed in but my room is set up nice.

Time for this deep water fish to evolve a bit.

Really would like the best end product, does mapito deliver the best flavor?

If you have coco dialed in, never leave it. That goes for any method...there is no better system than a dialed in one... coco, mapito, DWC, living soil....they all can produce genetically perfect flowers.

If you have several successful runs with one method, it seems counterproductive to have to go through the learning process over just to get the same results.

Peace,

RM

• Like 3

i can understand when people have only limited space and need to stick to one method only ...

i got the chance to grow at various spots so i have some dialed in & i have adventures in others.

i love to learn. so i keep trying out new ways, when i find them interesting.

evolution is never bad, imo ... come to an hold and you might get "rusty" ;)

• Like 2

i love mapito because its easy for me to use as i am disabled and i love the taste of my weed .but there are loads of different tips of mapito out there so if it ain't broke don't fix it! just try and do better with what you got in. always trying to get more because i always smoke it's never enough :D :D :D

i can understand when people have only limited space and need to stick to one method only ...

i got the chance to grow at various spots so i have some dialed in & i have adventures in others.

i love to learn. so i keep trying out new ways, when i find them interesting.

evolution is never bad, imo ... come to an hold and you might get "rusty" ;)

Changing things up because growing is a hobby is fine but anyone who RELIES on growing as medicine just don't fuck around and it's not a hobby nor is it really fun.

On the other hand, being consistent is tough, I understand why certain types would always want to chase methods.

Cheers,

RM

I heard coco contains often some kind of bugs and it's not too reusable (2-3 times) but mapito lasts forever plus holds maaany times more moisture than coco. I'm gonna set up mapito flood and drain system with 6,5L pots. Must be great to sog with high density mapito hydro

• Like 1

indeed ... chasing methods is a wonderful hobby.

seek out one & success in it & then up to the next.

:)

people thinking they know everything are ridicoluos

to anyone that knows: "learning never ever stops".

people relying on money from anything canna-related are

bound to stiffen up, tho ... i agree (but i feel sad for them).

we have different opinions (so what?) ... let's leave it at that ;)

@nightmara

you won't regret it, mate :) mapito is easy and very effiicient with very little to almost no work at all.

auto-pilot hydro with great yields and no difference in taste or smell in comparsion to organic grows,

if dialed in to the dot (which is achieved with any hyrdo, but with mapito i feel it is easier and faster

achieved).

• Like 2

hi

i have grown weed in soil, then in coco handwatering later ebb&flow, then i tried expanded clay on the ebb&flow and then rockwool flakes.

Now im back to coco handwatering with a hose when they need it, with no drain and just when they are dry.

I like the simplicity.

No cleaning of all the trays and pumps.

The work is the same just not once a week, so its all 2-4 days where i need about a half hour for the big box and i can adjust the nutrient mix every watering.

I reuse the coco till its just dust.

At the bottom i put a layer expanded clay balls and everytime i reuse just a hand full of new coco for every container.

The clay balls are easy to get off the bottom after each grow but you csn also mix them in when you not want put the coco in the garden/greenhouse like i do.

For me its coco for taste, yield and simplicity.

greets silas

edit: We use plagron coco and canna coco nutrients.

• Like 1

Yeah.. Mapito and coco both work well in very similar setups. Canna fertilizers for coco are bit on the expensive side but it's no big deal atleast if you don't run drain to waste.. I think you would be ok by adding some aminos, rhizo and calmag to some cheap hydro line such as hesi or GH. Or really can't say Hesi rocks since when I used it ph dropped a lot and I had roots that split from main roots and floated there and friend had a lot more those and we both didn't have that with GH nutes so. Taste was still better even I od'd a bit because I was so frustrated that my third and biggest plant purple storm hermed so I tried to pump some harvest from mad kush :)

I loved my NT tables rockwools always they hold so much moisture and never kill anythjing :) I think i've seen people just growing with huge rockwool blocks on big flood tables with great yields :P it really is versatile shit and the bigger the res then easier the progress..

btw I wantedd to ask for a friends benefit that how often you have to change 100L res if its summer and water temps might be like atleast 25 maybe 27 at worst? Using Liquid silicon but PH is dropping alot now when harvest is coming near.. any suggestions? or is just that water loses its buffering capacity in a week or so when its so damn hot?

Aeration of the nute reservoir causes my pH to steadily rise; I now have the air pumps on cycle timers.

As for coco vs. mapito, they both work for me in ebb-and-flow. I've only done one round of each method, though.

https://www.opengrow...-sage-led-grow/

Last summer I ran Blumats but the 75L nutrient res kept molding in the steady 30C (85F) temps; I was changing it every week. My flood reservoirs now use enzymes and airstones and I'm happy.

btw I wantedd to ask for a friends benefit that how often you have to change 100L res if its summer and water temps might be like atleast 25 maybe 27 at worst? Using Liquid silicon but PH is dropping alot now when harvest is coming near.. any suggestions? or is just that water loses its buffering capacity in a week or so when its so damn hot?

The key is to keep the nutrients dark and in motion. Airstones just raise the ph. Use a pump for circulation that adds enough o2 and when it runs back after flooding.

When using something for the roots and enzymes you did not need to change it out fully just dilute it with fresh water when harvest comes near...

i erased some negativity and trolling (petty fighting). my sincere apologies

for letting negativity of one hateful troll almost ruin your thread, barreleye.

• Like 2

Hi there barreleye

If you have the space and the time try different techniques

I unfortunately have a small space and I have the soil thing dialed in ( like the rev said ) so I keep it simple but I may get a small hydro setup always wanted to try that but it's hard to teach an old dog some new tricks

Also I loose power here a lot so I can keep them in the dark for a short time , but the hydro thing may not work for me ( need a generator )

Oh well rambling once again

Safe grow bro

Papalag

The way I see it is hydro is hydro. Mediums might affect things slightly (like needing extra calmag, grow a little slower/quicker), but the general principle is the same. Keep your environment in check, and keep your water right and you can pull out the best from your flowers. I already know which of my girls are heavy/light feeders, so should be a quick learning curve to switch over.

I wouldn't be switching if I didn't think it's worth it. I feel like I can't leave my kit unattended for more than a day or two. Mapito seems like it'll give me more freedom with my time. I don't mind putting in time every day, but it's nice to be able to take a week off and go do something fun without being worried about my plants. Plus I'll be able to pop more beans at a time to make pheno hunts quicker.

the friend whos ph drops is using airstone in 100l res and water is moving alot.. He is not using enzymes. Might it be the reason?

and reservoir and everything is lightproof

First of all: my apologies for reviving this old-ish thread. However the title "coco vc mapito" fits exactly what I am trying to find out so I decided not to open a new thread.

My question: I was talking to spanish growers and dutch growers. The dutch growers said the best large scale setup is to use mapito in 40L crates with ebb & flow in a large pond. The spanish laughed at the dutch and said they cannot grow and their weed all tastes the same because they use tulip fertilizer :D The spanish said they use coco in root pouches with automated dripping systems and monitor devices to control the nutrient solution.

I myself have seen a mapito setup in a 120x120 tent and the plants literally exploded. Can coco w/ drip compare? What are you guys opinion? What is the better system for somebody who wants to achieve a large output and fit many grows in one year? Esko says it takes him 8 weeks for a full grow starting with rooted cuttings. Same for coco w/ drip?

Best regards

RTS

Hmmmmmmmmm mapito coco soil they all work and they can all be fucked up if you dont put the work in that needs doing as for getting root prob just use canna zyem in the res at 1 mill per liter this works well .

if you go with mapito ill be about if you need help as i have grown 1 or 2 plants in it be for and no a trick or 2

space

• Like 2

I tried both mapito (rock-wool) and coco and the difference is very small. Feeding the plants on mapito and coco with the same nutriment for either coco or rock-wool works fine. Drippers however, can never top ebb and flow in my opinion because they have many disadvantages, like constipation and the medium is never wet enough. When you feed using ebb and flow you are sure that all the plants drink enough and the Dutch never use tulip fertilizers! ;)

Growing on coco works best when feeding from the top and mapito when from the bottom. My two cents.

• Like 7

Hamme Hydro, thanks for the quick response. Makes sense. I saw the bottom of the mapito crates and to describe it in one word: Spaghetti! Full and thick roots. Hard to beat for sure :)

• Like 3

Hi Guys, nice to see you space!

I use Growpito. So for me pito has the advantages over all other grow mediums

Here are a few of those advantages:

> Little to no veg time

> Faster growth

> Cleaner garden environment, no used medium going to the landfill

> Ec and PH stability

> Perpetually reusable

> Gets better with every use

> Little to no waste water

> Uses up to 30 times less water and nutrients than, Rockwool blocks with drip, or RDWC

> Can be easily automated

Karma Up

simplicity

• Like 4