•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
saxo

watering from below

....as long as you don´t say it 3 times while looking into a burning candle,everything is good 180px-devil_flanders.gif lol

• Like 1

I'd say one for sure, you won't have gnats lol :) I would say they are doing great, their looks are awesome, would not think that bit of dry on top is going to matter.

• Like 3

Had last 3 or 4 months off with no grows. Time to run another. Thinking of getting a 6 pack of octopots and using my organic soil mix in this system using only plain water again, like my last soil grow.

I think it GardenArtus talking to me bout them last year, but cannot remember. Cant find the thread where the octopots are being talked about .

Anyone got any info for me as im a few days away from ordering them, Not sure whether to order the 3 or 6 gallon version, appears both use same top bag and guts, just res size difference. Not sure i need 6 gsllons under each, thinking light space wouod be more valuable than rez size.

• Like 2

looks like smart pot meets hempy bucket with light wicking soil/media.

http://www.octopot.com/products/

You could make your own. I played with versions of this in the past, hempyfan name comes from hempy buckets. You can buy those big net cups like they use from most grow shops and just cut in container of choice, you rig up similar watering aspect if you wanted as well. Ensure not to dry out.

I favor this type of root growth. Roots are stronger when they go deeper for water compared to staying shallower due to top watering. In outdoors, deeper roots = stronger plant and better drought/stress resistance.

By the way, this also can done with regular smart pots or fabric containers and flood table. flood only bottom few inches and adjust future watering levels and timings as the plants tell you.

• Like 1

Price is mad and you could easily build something cheaper..

I am pretty sure that mapito is the best and most likely easiest flood & drain medium when dialed in.

Plants tell us what they need and yours look GREAT! Keep it up.

I have watered from top and bottom, I have noticed watering from top tends to get more roots out the bottom as they dry and search source of water, but like in hydro, if they are fed well, the plants can concentrate more on top growth. It would be difficult to put a number on it for me as I rotate strains too much for the diff to matter all that much. For a comm'l grower I bet they may have the plants dialed in a bit tighter and could discern those nuance differences in yield.

I also agree with gardenartus, that it helps minimize the gnats and others as that dry soil aint all that attractive for their breeding. Just gotta monitor the levels deep.

Great werk

• Like 2

Imma do half an half next grow starts 1st september, ill monitor closely and report.

Might even dig out a shatty old laptop an try to post some comparrison pics. V. ;)

• Like 1

I pulled the trigger on a 6 gallon 6 pack of octopots. At this point the $$$ is NOt an issue, did not want to jack with it myself,

I paid for the convenience of being delivered to my door ready to setup n run. It was 350 bucks free shipping...............YES could have probably built them out of what I have here now...............but I have more fun things to do than jack with all that, his system looks fine to me.

Im dropping seeds end of next week. Will let em run like I always do in Dixie cups under HO T5's till they outgrow the cups. Then they are going into the octo's and being

watered once from top, then just let it run. Will run 6 in the octo's under a Gavita 600/750 down tight, 6 in my regular air pots under the same light.

Veg till 14 inches, then let them go. Will be interesting to see the difference in mediums! Ill post up when they get to the octopots.

Peace,

Jet

• Like 2

I am planning grow for a friend and he has 2,4x1,2x2m tent so I was wondering well yeah 3 600watts will do the job and maybe later adding one more BY THE WAY do you think I should have aircooled lights? as in cooltubes? My main concern is about the growing medium should I choose coco (which someone here so much hates and told there's gnats in there alrdy from the shop etc..) or should I go with rockwool? Plan is to stick 2 1x1 flood tables on there and and fill them with esko style flood and drain pots (low) but should I go with rockwool or should I order rf-1 or what it's called mapito? Is there a way to just stick 15x15x14cm rockwool cubes next to each other and use without pots? Please fill me on this one and I'm planning to use Canna Aqua as fertilizer do you think it's good? Hesi hydro I didn't find any good.. Lots and lots of dead roots in NFT on me and my friend both when tried it.. If I go with just rockwool sitting there style how do I know how much to flood etc? I need this run to be CHEAP so please help me.. I'm going with cheapest reflectors too and magnetic ballasts because I will need to get everything from scratch and I'm poor fella.

suggestions please! I kinda like the idea of big 15x15cm rockwool cubes standing there next to eachother without pots and growing from SOG there :) could fit 36 cubes per 1m tray and 72 cubes to tent but around here there are plant limits so I would like to grow more like 20-50 plants so come on suggest me way to get the cheapest run going on.. Plus is the 3x600w optimum or should I just straight go to 4x600w?

Every damn detail you think is welcome here so please gimme your advice my fellow guru's ! :) Can't even get proper cuttings around here so I will prolly have to use my own regular seed collection so 50 rockwool cubes sitting next to eachother wouldn't be that bad as I'd prolly have 30 'bitches' then and because I like to grow sativa genes it would fill the tent without veg for sure. Also I heard about SpeeCee's technique by adding 12-12 light schedule from the very beginning (rooting phase) to encourage maturity faster.. Do you think I'm missing something here and welcome to help me with everything and building this shit cheap as possible!

Nightmara

Ok, I have not a lot of time at the moment and might be a day or two before I get back but read these first and I will help after that. Your answers and then some are largely in those compilations.

Lighting and is much information from easy to understand and to the too much math for those who want that. - http://culturalhealingandlife.com.www413.your-server.de/index.php?/forum/16-lighting/

The Indoor Gardening Environment - http://culturalhealingandlife.com.www413.your-server.de/index.php?/topic/4-the-indoor-garden-environment/

I am still working on many other sections so it is basically still under construction for many sections but is good to go for the links I posted. This is not a forum for talking so much on things at this time but I use for explaining and illustrating different aspects of cultural healing and life stuff. Gardening is only a % but is still in early build mode.

• Like 4

Even though i grow on both rock-wool and coco, i would choose the first over the latter. The plants seem to like rock-wool better and you can bottom feed it more properly in my opinion. But sometimes coco is more convenient like when you want to feed from the top it is the better choice far as i am concerned.

The following is not an argument for or against rockwool and coco, but some perspectives.

Rockwool cubes grown right is hard to beat due to its high air to root ratio but also how it is made that directs the roots down and is easy for the plant to side root. coco does not optimize the down rooting direction the same as rock wool.

However, I love em both but for most coco is likely the better choice in terms of easier to manage your left over materials after growing but a bit of rockwool in starting a plant is not really a problem but when potting up to larger blocks than this is a potential problem for some.

Also, be sure not to squeeze your rockwool cubes as you can crush rockwool and create a blockage that will hinder water drainage. If they sit to wet and no idea why, it is likely that reason.

Coco is easily mixed into compost and such and thus is a better reusable media in that direction but this is tomato, tamato kind of thing.

The concept of best is not simply wrapped around the single act of being a media but how you use that media all the way around the operation of growing. Growing in rock wool cubes may on the books seem like a great idea and for many it is but think out your whole process and decide. Consider not just propagation but how and when you will process and/or remove old media.

• You will find, growing is largely a thing of compromise on best practice.

When people have problems growing with coco, I often find it is a result of them not understanding the media and use it more like a soil. I personally liked it as a soil/compost ingredient and would use similarly and often with peat moss.

In soil I liked to use two different types, the birds nest for more wicking and fine for more soil body. I have grown in only coco and used a combination of bird nest and fine coco but I would up my calmag use.

From a growing perspective. I agree with hamme, rock wool is more best practice but they both work great! I have somewhat recently seen some outstanding plants grown in rockwool cubes. When done competently, it is extremely impressive and frankly I like it more than mapito from just an growing perspective but like I said, take in all aspects of your garden from a to z before deciding.

Hempyfan

• Like 2