•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

steve

Germination - your best method ? (Need help)

have done seed to soil and 1 out of 3 germinated ! Pissssssssssed !!!!! don't know about 24 hr soak or paper towel method ? Please - know this has bee asked before - some use domes ? Pleas help !!!! your BEST infor - if anyone should know OPENGROW would know - kown in hydro"cubes' work well - t but this is for soil Worst % rate ever - something has to change - it's me not the seeds Thanks !!!

@Steve....There is lots to do to prepare your seeds. 1st of all...dunk them in PH 6.0 water. Stores sell this as DISTILLED water...It usually tests out to be a PH of 6.0.

This forum has instructional stories at the very beginning of the forum page. READ ALL OF IT! People use a lot of different ways to prepare & Geminate seed.

Best of Luck!

• Like 1

No offense to you snook, but I can't allow basic chemistry misinformation to be spread and stand idly by...

Distilled Water is pH 7, neutral. It is water that has been boiled, the steam is then run through a condensation tube where it changes back from a gas to a liquid. Distillation is a method of achieving water that has had many of its impurities removed.

I loved fractional distillation in chemistry lab... very interesting stuff!

As to preparing seeds... we have most recently been discussing this topic in a thread called Tell Us How You Crack Them Beans. Click the link and read-up, you should get some good ideas!

hope this helps :)

• Like 5

@Damar.......All I can say is I'm constantly checking my store-bought Distilled water and it's consistently 6.0 PH. If you have a PH test kit, check it out

After searching the Web, it does concur that "most" Distilled water is at 7.0 PH. However, I've used this type of water for years with no problems

• Like 1

I've never used anything but my crappy ass well water.

If me seeds sat around a few moths, waiting for a starting time, I'll drop a few drops of H2O2 in my shot glass with water for an over night soak, into wet paper towels, 76F on the heat mat, if in colder months.

I have always prefered to crack them open first then add to a fresh medium, for me ProMix, no food til 4 points are poking out.

• Like 3

@ Snookster - If it works for you, great! I think that's what this thread is really all about :) But to be clear up any misinformation, I would say that either the water you are buying isn't actually Distilled Water, or your pH test kit is off. There is no question of "most." Luckily, I've "indefinitely borrowed" a pH meter from work:

gallery_9590_4320_28683.jpg

gallery_9590_4320_385208.jpg

• Like 2

After cruising thru the web, I found out that YES, Distilled water is actually 7.0 PH. My mistake....I've always been under the impression that it was 6.0 PH.

Thanks for clearing that up!

• Like 2

Thats a great question, Snookster! I think that this discussion actually brings up some good points, because perhaps others also use reagent drops to test their pH.

So first, I would always look at the vial with a piece of computer paper behind it get get a good white background. Edit: and also in a very well lit place, trying to go for a neutral white light source.

Next, with a result like this, I would wonder whether or not something is contaminating my vial. Did you rinse it with the distilled water a few times, shaking vigorously, and pouring out the rinses? Maybe you had some leftover contaminants from checking your nutrient solutions?

After that I would question if the reagents in the dropper solution are still viable. Heat, direct light, age... Maybe if they weren't stored correctly the reagents degrade or change concentration relative to each other. How long have you had it?

Finally, if all else failed I would question the water. And throw my hands up in the air in despair wondering what else we the public trust to be a given but are perhaps being misled on. :-P

• Like 2

Damn Damar, I believe u are a scientist..lol

u got your shit together..i was thinking the same thing as I have run into that from my own experience.

it has to b stored correctly in order to get the correct readings when calibrating.

good advice Damar.

@snookster, hey bro..i done the same thing..i ruined quite a lot of the ph down and up and the ppm and ph calibration packets..

stay safe and love life..

• Like 1

Perhaps that's what it is...incorrect storage. Damar, whatever the case is, you've proved your point to me and I hope I've done the same. Will follow your posts more Damar...I love somebody with a brain! Have a Blessed day..

Snook

• Like 1

Glad I can help, Snookster! I read somewhere last week that if you want people to respond to you (I think I read this on facebook), it is better to post something blatantly false than true. People love to be smartasses and correct others, especially over the internet. :comp:

I hate to see myself as that, but sometimes I feel like it's part of my nature. I fight myself not to be pretentious. :argue

I love OpenGrow because I feel like our community is on average a little older, a little wiser, and more tolerant than the other big cannabis forums. :hug:

Anyways... nerd power! :nerd: I'm glad we all can learn from each other! :blush:

• Like 2

my clones are rooted with a 6.0 ph water from the tap..it comes out of my well at a 7. I have to use ph down...this is the resultsgallery_10751_5630_661835.jpg

• Like 2

What's worked for me for nearly 2 decades is the water soak method. Drop the seeds in store bought spring water for 18-24 hours. I make sure the water is @room temp, not cold to the touch. Heated by placing filled glass bottom in basin of warm water for a minute if necessary. Wrap the glass in aluminum foil to block light and place in a warmish/dark area, for me that's on top of my tv receiver. Spoon each seed out one by one into the medium, soil for me, I toothpick a hole and push the seed in with toothpick. If seeds are old, might light sand pointed tip with sand paper, before soak.

Sorry bout your beens not poppin

i used the paper towel method for years until i stumbled across a post from clackamus cootz . he says that a seed has all the enzymes and nutrients to ensure the plant gets everything it needs for a healthy start. by popping it in the paper towel then removing it you are leaving some of those vital enzymes and nutes behind in the paper towel.he said to simply use sphagnum peat moss and some castings for the seed mix. sounded feasible to me so that is what i have been doing and have had great success. 10 of 10 of my heavyweight fruit punch are happy & healthy. as well as any other beans that ive popped.

• Like 2

What's worked for me for nearly 2 decades is the water soak method. Drop the seeds in store bought spring water for 18-24 hours. I make sure the water is @room temp, not cold to the touch. Heated by placing filled glass bottom in basin of warm water for a minute if necessary. Wrap the glass in aluminum foil to block light and place in a warmish/dark area, for me that's on top of my tv receiver. Spoon each seed out one by one into the medium, soil for me, I toothpick a hole and push the seed in with toothpick. If seeds are old, might light sand pointed tip with sand paper, before soak.

This is exactly what I do, right down to putting the seeds on top my tv receiver! Always works.
  • Like 1

Tried out esko's or maybe it was whazzups method, can't remember which. But put 1tsp of 3% h2O2 in 1 cup of water, temp stayed around 75degrees and all beans popped easily. Most healthy looking tap roots I've seen to date. That h2O2 really helps oxygenate the water And keep bad fungi/bacteria at bay.

No offense to you snook, but I can't allow basic chemistry misinformation to be spread and stand idly by...

Distilled Water is pH 7, neutral. It is water that has been boiled, the steam is then run through a condensation tube where it changes back from a gas to a liquid. Distillation is a method of achieving water that has had many of its impurities removed.

I loved fractional distillation in chemistry lab... very interesting stuff!

As to preparing seeds... we have most recently been discussing this topic in a thread called Tell Us How You Crack Them Beans. Click the link and read-up, you should get some good ideas!

hope this helps :)

If you leave distilled water exposed to the atmosphere, its pH will gradually drop as it absorbs CO2.

Haha, Misterdirt... I appreciate your humor. I also understand that CO2 dissolves into water, that's how we get stalactite and stalagmite formations in caves, where this slightly acidic water percolates through cracks, accumulating calcium carbonate and other minerals, and then depositing them as they come out of solution.

But for all intents and purposes, the rate of CO2 dissolution into distilled water is very slow. Earth's atmosphere is on average 0.04% CO2.

I've read that the Ph of distilled water drops rapidly once it's unsealed, don't recall where I saw that or why it happens though.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think a pinned "How to pop seeds" thread would be a well used resource?

Stay Safe

BalzOut