Rookie seeks advice

20 replies to this topic

#1 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

I will be writing this topic for my friend that has decided to start his first grow after lurking around on the forums.
She is planning to run an organic grow for her first time so all advice from Entz(organic reference ) are greatly appreciated;)
The setup: 80cmx80x180 , 360 max output LED, 3 sannies Kf fem and 2xMad scientist fem with Sannies starter pack in 5x10 liter .
Now the things she is not sure is about the soil -gold label special mix- if it's fits with Sannies starter pack and there won't be any nutrition fighting"? sorry for bad English and everything goes smooth? As its first grow , want to make it as easy as possible. Another question if you think 1 LED with 360W is not enough to for 5 plants , than could some kind uncle recommend an extra alternative?
All advice and help are great appritiated. Thank you!

#2 benefit cuts

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi Jokerlol, the Gold Label Special Mix is already enriched with organic nutrients that they say should last almost an entire cycle without the need for any extra feed, so it is not ideal to use with Sannie's starter pack. Sannie recommends using soil with little or no added nutrients (light mix) as your substrate for best results using his method. Also your friend should not plant seeds directly into the Special mix as it will be too hot (too nutrient rich) for seedlings and immature plants. I would start them off in either starter cubes or a soil mix specifically for seedlings, then pot on if using the hSpecial Mix soil for that then you will not need to add the buffer tabs as well.

As for the Led, I think 360 watts over 5 plants in the space you have will be enough for them.
'il faut cultiver notre jardin'

#3 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3801 posts
  • Interests:Grokking

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Welcome to OG M8 :wave:

I grew pretty nice bud with 2 plants under 120 watts of LED's.

Unless your friend ;) has at least a couple years of gardening experience, I strongly recommend against organic soil, in organic soil you need to be able to spot problems very early to correct them before they damage the plants, not easy for a new grower.

instead get a bag of soiless mix and bottles of a good organic fertilizer and follow the instructions on the bottle , that way you're not likely to over fertilize and if you do you can flush them to wash out the extra nutrients and in soiless mix witch drains well they won't get water logged.

Leave Them Alone, new growers tend to kill their plants with kindness, over watering, over fertilizing, and trying all kinds of stuff they read about on the internet. Give them light, water, and fertilizer, that's all they really need, if you MUST fuss, then fuss over one plant only.

There are several things an experienced grower can do to increase yield, try some of them on the second run.

You should check the Ph of your water supply, litmus strips from the fish section of the pet store or a 3 drop kit from a garden center or a grow shop. If Ph is between 6 and 7.5 I wouldn't worry about it, higher or lower your friend will have to adjust it, vinegar or lemon juice to lower Ph or baking powder to raise it, you can buy Ph up/down at any grow shop.

take what grow shop guys say with several grains of salt, they're in business to make money and most will be quite happy to sell you all kinds of things you don't need.

Remember the Golden Rules:

Don't tell,

Don't sell,

Don't smell.

Best of luck to your friend.

Stay Safe

BalzOut
"Evil wears every possible mitten"

JUST SAY NO To Strain Name Acronyms

HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES, scroll down to post #12

The NutHouse (grow journal)

#4 Hemp

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

Hey
keep in mind the killing fields will propably stretch quite a bit more than the mad scientists

greetings hemp

#5 jp139

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostHemp, on 06 September 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Hey
keep in mind the killing fields will propably stretch quite a bit more than the mad scientists

greetings hemp

I don't know about KF but Mad S grows slowwwwwww and is a short squat plant - at least the ones i grew.

#6 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4179 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

welcome..yeh, I use to grow for my x's..lol

#7 Hemp

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:42 AM

View Postjp139, on 07 September 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

I don't know about KF but Mad S grows slowwwwwww and is a short squat plant - at least the ones i grew.

Haha i have never grown any of them but i had sugar punch and silverfields, which are more or less related, and they both stretch
more than the typical indica hybrid, and the estimated 11-12 weeks for the KF would indicate (hehe INDICAte lol) shes a good stretcher

#8 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:16 AM

View Postbenefit cuts, on 05 September 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

Hi Jokerlol, the Gold Label Special Mix is already enriched with organic nutrients that they say should last almost an entire cycle without the need for any extra feed, so it is not ideal to use with Sannie's starter pack. Sannie recommends using soil with little or no added nutrients (light mix) as your substrate for best results using his method. Also your friend should not plant seeds directly into the Special mix as it will be too hot (too nutrient rich) for seedlings and immature plants. I would start them off in either starter cubes or a soil mix specifically for seedlings, then pot on if using the hSpecial Mix soil for that then you will not need to add the buffer tabs as well.

As for the Led, I think 360 watts over 5 plants in the space you have will be enough for them.

Sorry for the late answer, as I was send away for working trip, so I couldn't reply ,but thoughtfully read your kind comments .I will do exatly as you suggested with little light mix or no mix as Im not even sure how to make a light mix =) Thank you!

#9 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:26 AM

View PostBalzaSteel, on 05 September 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Welcome to OG M8 :wave: I grew pretty nice bud with 2 plants under 120 watts of LED's. Unless your friend ;) has at least a couple years of gardening experience, I strongly recommend against organic soil, in organic soil you need to be able to spot problems very early to correct them before they damage the plants, not easy for a new grower. instead get a bag of soiless mix and bottles of a good organic fertilizer and follow the instructions on the bottle , that way you're not likely to over fertilize and if you do you can flush them to wash out the extra nutrients and in soiless mix witch drains well they won't get water logged. Leave Them Alone, new growers tend to kill their plants with kindness, over watering, over fertilizing, and trying all kinds of stuff they read about on the internet. Give them light, water, and fertilizer, that's all they really need, if you MUST fuss, then fuss over one plant only. There are several things an experienced grower can do to increase yield, try some of them on the second run. You should check the Ph of your water supply, litmus strips from the fish section of the pet store or a 3 drop kit from a garden center or a grow shop. If Ph is between 6 and 7.5 I wouldn't worry about it, higher or lower your friend will have to adjust it, vinegar or lemon juice to lower Ph or baking powder to raise it, you can buy Ph up/down at any grow shop. take what grow shop guys say with several grains of salt, they're in business to make money and most will be quite happy to sell you all kinds of things you don't need. Remember the Golden Rules: Don't tell, Don't sell, Don't smell. Best of luck to your friend. Stay Safe BalzOut

Thank you for your advice dear friend! Me and my friend feel deeply welcome already! :spell:I took in all the wisdom and will advice my friend further, but sadly all the funds has been spend on Sannies starter pack. Shall proceed with caution and hope to make it as easy as possible=)

View PostHemp, on 06 September 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Hey keep in mind the killing fields will propably stretch quite a bit more than the mad scientists greetings hemp

Do you think it will be a problem under grow with light distance difference?

View Postbigun, on 07 September 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

welcome..yeh, I use to grow for my x's..lol

Thank you ! Looking forward to your guidance :wave:

#10 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1548 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:19 AM

sannies starter kit is the right way to go, just follow the instructions. u can buy light mix - soil anywhere (its usually called starter soil) put the ingredients in and plant ur plants in it and then let the magic happen :)
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#11 Smilesformiles

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Camping, fishing, gaming, animal rescue, reef tanks

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

Welcome and good luck with your friends first grow!

#12 DesertGrown

All around plant guy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3127 posts
  • Interests:Everything cannabis.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

Welcome to OpenGrow Jokerlol.

Looks as though you have everything you need to grow some good smoke for yourselves. As for using the organic method on a first grow, you are definitely going to have your work cut out for you... creating a iiving soil as a new grower is going be a tough task to accomplish, but it's not totally impossible. Starting out with a good quality soilless medium would probably help you learn the basics better and with less hassles along the way... it's just a thought though.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing your friends grow, if they're willing to show it to us. Good luck to you both... and if you have any questions, ask them, you'll get answers from the growers around here.

Keep it green!
DesertGrown
CANNABIS will get you through times of NO MONEY better than MONEY will get you through times of NO CANNABIS

#13 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostKaRmA, on 26 September 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

sannies starter kit is the right way to go, just follow the instructions. u can buy light mix - soil anywhere (its usually called starter soil) put the ingredients in and plant ur plants in it and then let the magic happen :)

Yes, I will do my best!=)

View PostSmilesformiles, on 26 September 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

Welcome and good luck with your friends first grow!

Thank you very much!

View PostDesertGrown, on 26 September 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

Welcome to OpenGrow Jokerlol.

Looks as though you have everything you need to grow some good smoke for yourselves. As for using the organic method on a first grow, you are definitely going to have your work cut out for you... creating a iiving soil as a new grower is going be a tough task to accomplish, but it's not totally impossible. Starting out with a good quality soilless medium would probably help you learn the basics better and with less hassles along the way... it's just a thought though.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing your friends grow, if they're willing to show it to us. Good luck to you both... and if you have any questions, ask them, you'll get answers from the growers around here.

Keep it green!
DesertGrown

Thank you very much! We are very willing to show! I'm gathering all information and doing my best! Looking forward to your guidance!

#14 Papalag

Old school hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hi there jokerlol
Good luck and welcome kf and ms are two of my fav
They both are great weed and kf is worth the waiting
I to started straight in to living soil had some bumps on the way but they all work out
Remember less is more
There's some great advice here
Welcome to OG
Papalag

#15 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostPapalag, on 02 October 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Hi there jokerlol
Good luck and welcome kf and ms are two of my fav
They both are great weed and kf is worth the waiting
I to started straight in to living soil had some bumps on the way but they all work out
Remember less is more
There's some great advice here
Welcome to OG
Papalag

Thank you very much! I shall do my best! People have been very supportive and friendly , so Im very happy and exited to be here today! :wave:

#16 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Dear friends!

I have currently run into some problems at start.
A very nice friend at forums to help me out ,but even he think Im hopeless and advice me to ask kind uncles here^_^

Im trying to follow the dear Sannies starting way with propagator and starting cubes,but have failed so far. My Hydro meters shows stable humidity at 30 even through I try to spray the propagator from up to down all the time and buy perlite to hold the moisture better. No matter what I do the moisture doesn't go up that much .
My room is hot because of the battery for winter and my tent stand next to it, so maybe its too hot? temprature is stable 24-26 Celsius,but sometimes I feel the air is a little dry so I just open window.

Posted Image

2 days after I sprayed ,still looks moist inside. I have 4 seeds that I have tried from start and now some time has passed. Im afraid to waste all before it works. I have read many ways to "pop" seeds here at the forum and some books and it seems easy, but for some reason I cant do it;( Please help.
Posted Image

I have watched Sannies video 10x times and follow the steps exactly ...

#17 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:27 AM

Looks like your humidity sensor is broke and you have been spraying too much

The propagator looks like high humidity 90, not 30

#18 DesertGrown

All around plant guy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3127 posts
  • Interests:Everything cannabis.

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

Temps of 24°-26°C (75°-78°F) are good for germinating seeds and growing in general. However, an RH value of 30% is far too low to germinate seeds. You'll want your RH values up between 70%-80% for proper germination. Consider heating the propagator from the bottom by setting it on a horticultural heating pad, this will warm the seed to the proper temperature to aid in germination.

You may also want to consider other methods of germinating seeds. For some new growers, taking time to practice germinating seeds may be helpful. Presoaking seeds for 24-72 hours or until the seed hull cracks open a bit may increase your chances of success too. The paper towel method works well for many growers... and for those really hard seeds, scarification of the seedcoat(with a file or sandpaper) to remove natural germinating inhibitors may be necessary before attempting any germination method.

Just as with most things you've learned to do, germinating seeds takes practice, growing plants takes practice and curing your harvest takes practice, but you'll get there... all you have to do is practice.
CANNABIS will get you through times of NO MONEY better than MONEY will get you through times of NO CANNABIS

#19 Jokerlol

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

View Postifish, on 20 December 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Looks like your humidity sensor is broke and you have been spraying too much The propagator looks like high humidity 90, not 30

View PostDesertGrown, on 20 December 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

Temps of 24°-26°C (75°-78°F) are good for germinating seeds and growing in general. However, an RH value of 30% is far too low to germinate seeds. You'll want your RH values up between 70%-80% for proper germination. Consider heating the propagator from the bottom by setting it on a horticultural heating pad, this will warm the seed to the proper temperature to aid in germination. You may also want to consider other methods of germinating seeds. For some new growers, taking time to practice germinating seeds may be helpful. Presoaking seeds for 24-72 hours or until the seed hull cracks open a bit may increase your chances of success too. The paper towel method works well for many growers... and for those really hard seeds, scarification of the seedcoat(with a file or sandpaper) to remove natural germinating inhibitors may be necessary before attempting any germination method. Just as with most things you've learned to do, germinating seeds takes practice, growing plants takes practice and curing your harvest takes practice, but you'll get there... all you have to do is practice.

Thank you very much gentleman. I shall continue to do some work and keep you update. Never though its going to be so hard to get a start :wave:

#20 Misterdirt

Quiet Desperado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8472 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR Heart Racing

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:10 AM

If you've got some bagseed (seeds from a bag of weed, not purchased from Sannie's Shop or another vendor), practice germinating with them, as Dessert Grown says.

The way I always do it:

1. place seeds in a glass of water overnight or up to 24 hours.
2. place soaked seeds in moist paper towels, directly into moist soil or Sannie's sponge pots.

If you put them in wet paper towels, check them daily. When a root pops out, put them in soil or a sponge pot. Once the root pops out, the young plant will want MUCH LESS WATER. Young Cannabis plants need plenty of oxygen in the soil. Don't let them dry out, but if the soil has so much water in it that there is no air in it, the seedlings will die.
Place no head above your own.
-- Gotama The Buddha