•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Gardener

Greetings friends and mentors!

Greetings,

I am a life-long gardener, but completely new to cannabis culture. Fortunately, I live in a state with medical cannabis. For the past four years i have been treating muscular-dystrophy-pain with weed. Purchased from a dispensary. However, in a couple months i will be moving to a state without any such allowances. And for this i am excited, because it gives me a reason to begin growing.

Look for my first grow beginning sometime this December. I might need some help. My goals are modest. I need to be able to produce ~30 ounces, or 840 grams, per year.

My action plan is to begin with soil and organic amendments. I want to keep things simple. I will fill in more as i get closer to that first grow. In the mean time, I will be following threads and learning from others.

I really need to nail that first grow. (If i don't, i will be in a world of hurt when i run out of medicine.) At the same time, i don't want to over design anything. I would hate to set up a system capable of producing pounds, when i only need ounces. I aspire to maximize yields and quality, while keeping things simple and pleasurable.

Nice to meet everyone here.

Gardener

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. 2 pounds a year is doable on a somewhat small footprint. Good luck and have fun growing. :)

-Passion

Welcome to the forum. 2 pounds a year is doable on a somewhat small footprint. Good luck and have fun growing. :)

-Passion

Maybe a good time to ask my first questions.

I am planning on something like a square meter of grow space. it will be in either a closet or a tent. I am almost certainly going to buy my lights from Platinum LED. I have been doing a lot of research on lights. From what I have been reading, LEDs are as good as the HID lamps, with less danger, less heat, and less energy consumption. Would two P300s be sufficient for something like this? The P300 is rated at about 180 watts at full strength. Two of them would give me roughly 360 watts of LED lighting. Would such a setup be capable of producing more than 30 ounces/year? Is this enough?

I'm not yet an LED convert. So I'm not much help there...

LED watts um- if you look at power draw and PAR this may tell you a more realistic truth about how many units you need and more. Some LED guys here could give more info likely.

I'd just throw a 400 watt MH or a dialed down mix spectrum 600 watt in a 1M sq tent...

I'm not yet an LED convert. So I'm not much help there...

LED watts um- if you look at power draw and PAR this may tell you a more realistic truth about how many units you need and more. Some LED guys here could give more info likely.

I'd just throw a 400 watt MH or a dialed down mix spectrum 600 watt in a 1M sq tent...

Thanks, AGreenPassion.

When i first calculated my lighting needs, i assumed HID and realized i would probably need between 400 and 600 watts. It is possible to reach my goals with 400 watts, but 600 would make for a nice cushion in case things do not work ideally.

I look at watts (energy consumed) as one way to approximately convert from one lighting technology to another. Par is more accurate. But par/watt measures efficiency, and energy efficiency is important to me.

Your feedback confirms my initial calculations. Thanks for that. :-)

What i have noticed in studying grows online is that good lights with good technique can yield ~ 1g/watt. Assuming an optimal grow, 360 watts should provide ~ 360 grams. And ball-parking a suboptimal grow, 360 watts should still provide half that amount, or 180 grams. I can live with a first grow that yields between 180 and 360 grams.

• Like 1

Hi, Gardener!

I do not recommend Platinum nor similar brands.

I love the safety aspect of LED but 600W HPS and 315W CMH are good designs. I build my own COB luminaires but I like the designs at tastyled.com.

A gram per watt is nice but doesn't mean much without the time parameter. Growing fast blooming indicas and having a veg room for growing clones for 30 days will make a productive budding room.

And x number of watts introduced into a closed room is still x watts, whether it is a bunch of IR (like HPS) or a bunch of photons (COB LED).

Hi, Gardener!

I do not recommend Platinum nor similar brands.

I love the safety aspect of LED but 600W HPS and 315W CMH are good designs. I build my own COB luminaires but I like the designs at tastyled.com.

A gram per watt is nice but doesn't mean much without the time parameter. Growing fast blooming indicas and having a veg room for growing clones for 30 days will make a productive budding room.

And x number of watts introduced into a closed room is still x watts, whether it is a bunch of IR (like HPS) or a bunch of photons (COB LED).

Ledfoot,

I am interested to know why you do not recommend Platinum and similar brands. For me, a simple LED from a reputable brand is way easier than building things. I used to be all about building my own. But now that MD is affecting me pretty badly, ease of implementation is more important.

You have a point about time parameters. I have three varieties of seeds. One is high CBD. But I also have an indica and a sativa. All three are short plants, < 1M. All three supposedly flower in eight weeks. I can't wait to begin the grow. But first i have to move to my new digs. This Christmas will be extra special. I will be re-united with family. And my plants should be vegging by then.

• Like 1

cheap led's are not good and good led are not cheap. or something like that. Illumitex neo sol ds is expensive but i have seen it hold it's own with a 1K hps but it's a boat load of cash. I know several people totally rocking it out with those! I still want one but it was not in my budget this go around. It really should not be a detractor though as the light pays for itself usually by crop 2 or 3 in a small space. I am a big fan of the new 315's but a hps works fine. Led's are getting better all the time but buyer beware comes to mind.

Welcome, I just got here last week and are liking the new digs.