organic soil

24 replies to this topic

#21 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Ferts depends on genetics too, the Canna 4 is a nute hound, if I fed some of my others like I do her, would burn them. Experience teaches you a lot, some of these plants are so different then other genetics. I let the plants go naturally the first time I grow them out to see what they need as far as structure, feed them the same line as all, then adjust as needed for each plant.

Some folks I've seen spend more in ferts line ups then they ever produce in value of herb lol.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.

#22 redz

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Cannabis, music player, football and fishing

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostHempyfan, on 15 October 2016 - 09:38 PM, said:

In soil, use a good store or make one.

Making one is same as store except you know what is in it but takes a bit of time and when correct is superior to a store soil.

A very least, some coco and worm casting will grow a plant. Add in some calmag in mid to late veg and early flower, mid flower for mag but adding some calcium is ok too. A small bit (hey look, he said small bit) flowering nutrients, ok if heavy feeder at a bit more flower nutrients but maybe 1/4 to at most 1/2 bottle recommendation around week 5 & 7 and you got a good first run.

Also, just putting a handful of flower guano at transition is good plus another handful at week 5 and forget the flowering stuff above.

Now for new growers. Keep it simple. It is fine to read and want this and that but screw that for the minute.

First learn about the plant, how it biologically works, how it grows, what it eats, when and why. This is a lot of information so do not complicate the first grow. You will go nuts if not already. This is not rocket science or it can be all depending on the direction you take.

Just learn the basics and take it from their applying each lesson and then trying new aspect as you go grow by grow. If you do this you will be impressed with your work. If you constantly change and chase this idea and this product you will always want without understanding correctly much of what you do. Most fit the chase category.

This is great advice right here!
Redz

#23 benefit cuts

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

A lot of good advice here. Substrates and especially organic living soil are topics that you can find out new things about for an entire lifetime and still have more to learn, in my opinion.

Addressing the question of whether there's a good enough organic substrate you can use straight out of the bag for a complete successful run though, I think there is. I did well with Plagron Batmix and no added nutes on 8 week flowering plants a few years back and would recommend it for that purpose. If starting your seeds in it, then it will be necessary to mix it with something inert like perlite or coco coir, then pot on into the full strength mix when the plants are ready.

I would mention though, that just because something is organic, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's made up of sustainable ingredients or that there has been no ecological harm caused by its production. So if your main reason for wanting to use full organics, from start to finish, is ethical then you would probably need to research any product further.

An easy alternative would be to buy in some organic light mix along with Sannie's organic kit and follow his 4 step method. It's proven to give good results and simple enough for beginners to follow without a problem.
'il faut cultiver notre jardin'

#24 Gardener

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

View Postbenefit cuts, on 04 November 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Addressing the question of whether there's a good enough organic substrate you can use straight out of the bag for a complete successful run though, I think there is. I did well with Plagron Batmix and no added nutes on 8 week flowering plants a few years back and would recommend it for that purpose. If starting your seeds in it, then it will be necessary to mix it with something inert like perlite or coco coir, then pot on into the full strength mix when the plants are ready.

Duly noted. Plagron batmix.

#25 Mr Goodfellow

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Brewing craft beer, fishing, gardening, cooking, conquering the world, yada, yada, yada

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

Actually, you can buy something like Subcool's hand made supersoil online. Kind Soil has an interesting theory. They put the hot soil on the bottom third of the pot and a substrate above with the transplant. The idea is this creates a clean water space and the roots only go down to the hot section as the plant needs nutrition which never exposes roots to excess. He shows root ball through a grow. The roots slowly fill the bottom by the end of the grow but not before.

It's a water only mix. Check it out... not cheap but sounds interesting. http://www.kindsoil.com/
Don't panic, it's organic!.... and yep, that's my real birthday; 4/20... born to ride!

US VETERANS FOR LEGALIZATION OF CANNABIS