•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
gardenartus

New on the block MCT tincture for the win

I don't have pics to do a proper tut on this but just have to share, been having such great success with pain relief and energy for patients.

MCT oil is coconut oil that has I believe lauric acid being removed, this keeps the oil in a liquid state making it perfect for a tincture. Unlike glycerin which can eat up a cap, this can also be capped up.

Ingredients

Bud and about 10% trim to the ratio of bud for whole plant therapy - I use 4 grams per O of oil

MCT oil, I use the type made from coconut oil and is not derived from palm

Turmeric

lecithin

ground black pepper

Equipment

Measuring spoons and cups

double boiler

spatula

scale for weighing herb

oven or someway to decarb

pan and foil to decarb

bottles to store

droppers for dosing

cheesecloth and receptacle to drain into

press if needed

Depending on the type being made, THC decarbed in the oven at 220 for one hour, CBD requires two hours. I decarb in a pan that is foil wrapped.

I use as much as I can in an ounce of oil. 4 ground grams of bud is the most I can fit in.

Decarb the bud, measure the MCT oil, place it in a double boiler.

Remove the pan from the oven, but do not uncover until it reaches room temp.

Measure your herb, it losses weight with decarb so if an O is needed for the tincture, add about 5 grams more to make up for loss before decarbing to be safe, you can store extra in freezer for future use.

You can finger "grind" it once decarbed it falls apart easily. Place the desired amount into the measured MCT oil in the double boiler. You can wrap your herb in cheesecloth or simply add it to the oil and strain. You can alternately use a ball jar and water bath instead of a double boiler, just make sure to place a jar ring or something under the mason jar so there is no direct heat to crack the glass.

For each Ounce of tincture being made, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of lecithin, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or peppercorns.

I "cook" this over low heat for 24 hours, I let it rest over night turning off the heat, then turn the heat back on the next morning. Stirring, or if in jar shaking, every hour or so. I do not know the science behind this, but letting it rest and cool, then reheating seems to make a better tincture.

Once done, simply strain through cheesecloth or another type strainer. You can add flavoring to this, it does not taste very good to me but others don't seem to mind the taste. One that seems to really cover up the taste is Watermelon, and another is Butter rum, that taste like a straight up shot of booze lol.

I have an old sausage press I use to press out the oil from the herb. Cannabis holds onto a boat load, you loss a lot if you don't press it. Also it is much easier if it is warmed when pressed. If you don't have a press, simply squeeze it out by twisting the cheesecloth as much as you can.

Place in tincture bottles. If you need to have a specific dose or strength, just ask, I can help you with the math :) Store in a cool, dark place, this will stay good for up to two years depending on the age of the MCT oil.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

What is the purpose of the lecithin? Are the turmeric and pepper just for flavor? If it tastes bad anyway, would it be better just to leave those off? Thanks for sharing. I'm way into green dragon/grain alcohol tincture, and I love to experiment with this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

Lecithin occupies the liver while more cannabinoids are being delivered to our cannabinoid system, this could be left out with this being in coconut oil. Lecithin, not soy but sunflower is very beneficial to us.

Lecithin is a type of phospholipid found in pure sunflower seeds and is a natural source of phosphatidylcholine, a natural constituent found in your brain and nervous system. In fact, your brain is approximately 30% lecithin.

The turmeric is a very good anti inflammatory, half our battle with pain is inflammation. Adding black pepper to it, along with the coconut oil, bumps up the bio availability by 2000%.

There is some believe that using turmeric while processing CBD, it makes the CBD more bio available as well.

Just an over all beneficial tincture for health and pain. ;)

I made one with oregano for an anti bacteria, I am looking to other things as well such as ginger, lemon balm. Some of these synergize too, making everything better.

• Like 3

Hey garden, 

I know i am resurrecting an ancient thread here, but I have questions on this. 

1. First and foremost, for this this will be recreational.  My wife wants to cut way back on "smoking", but doesnt want to give up here high :) We like energetic, creative "up" type highs (like to stay away from anything sleepy or dumbing) and so I will be using jackberry for this.  Does the process change at all?

2. When you are saying 5g/oz of MCT, are we talking liquid mesure?  so 40g/cup of mct?

3. You talk about strength in terms of mg/dosing.  What would we be looking at recreationally. 

4. Would a bit of Vanilla extract work to kill the MCT flavor?

DB

• Like 2

One guy I make it for was a bartender, so mixes odd flavors, he had me make it with vanilla and wintergreen lol sounds odd but that did cover a lot. Fruit flavors taste bad in it.

CBD with Sativa is very energizing. Nope sure not, you do it the same, but you probably don't need as much herb. The CBD I have is so low that I have to use that much to get a 20mg dose. If you use THC you will need less since most is about twice the strength of CBD.

If you want a good high from it, keep the recipe the same, because your THC is gonna make it quite strong with that much in there :) She should like that. You can not make the infusion not much more then 40mg per ml, but that is pretty toasty and if you really want to bump it up, add cannabis oil to it. If you do that, put it in a sonic cleaner for 30 minutes to help it emulsify and not separate over time.

Yep would be 40 grams to cup. Can you tell me what your strain test out at? I can then give you fairly close to proper dose.

IF she really wants a buzz, make cannabis oil :) You probably know how to make it, if not just hollar :) I could always send you some to try, of either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gardenartus said:

Yep would be 40 grams to cup. Can you tell me what your strain test out at? I can then give you fairly close to proper dose.

I will be using jackberry fems (in 4-5 weeks, plus a week to dry, 2 weeks cure... oh shit, 2 months! well I guess i am ahead of the game a bit ;) ) , but I do not test my weed (dont know how, i assume you would need some kind of treated lithmus paper?) so I am not sure exactly what the percentage is.  Sannie used to list it at up to 20% but i am sure that is highly dependent on grow conditions etc. 

DB

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Darth Budder said:

I will be using jackberry fems (in 4-5 weeks, plus a week to dry, 2 weeks cure... oh shit, 2 months! well I guess i am ahead of the game a bit ;) ) , but I do not test my weed (dont know how, i assume you would need some kind of treated lithmus paper?) so I am not sure exactly what the percentage is.  Sannie used to list it at up to 20% but i am sure that is highly dependent on grow conditions etc. 

DB

I just checked their stats on the net, if someone I know doesn't have them tested, that one says 20% :) If you put in 5 grams per O or 40 grams per cup you end up with 7200mg in that cup. Giving you about 30mg dosing. Try putting in 48 grams per cup, we negate a few numbers off the potency to get our multiplier in mg. If it is 20, negate a few numbers off, to say 18 add a zero, that is your mg multiplier. So if you added 48 to a cup, 48 x 180 = 8640 / by 236 (that is how many ml in a cup) = 36 to 37mg per ml.

Adding in lecithin, turmeric, black pepper, creates a bit more liquid. If you have a flat potato masher, that really helps, and don't add more liquid for about an hour, takes about that long for everything to turn to liquid and it barely covers the herb. You will have to mash it off and on with that flat potato masher.

• Like 2

Ahhhhh, math... FORMULAS!!! if i weren't already married to the geek of my dreams! ;)

Thanks again miss.  This is perfect, I will most likely start with 1/2 a cup of MCT.  Don't think i could sacrifice close two ounces on my first run/experiment. I can see where you run into issues using a double boiler and liquid covering the herb.  I have a smallish 1-2 cup pan i could use, suspend that over boiling water, but then i would never get the ricer in there... hmmm... 

DB

• Like 2

I can't get mine to eat anything! All these goodies I make and he will not partake He says he needs to be outdoors, OK take one then go outside then ha ha ha He used to hike, he will not even try one little thing, I have to force him to taste test lol then he spits it out!

The Dude is nuts lol love em, but nuts ;)

I have put a pan on top of a pan before and fake a double boiler lol You can do it on the heat, just keep it low, in a regular pan, and need to stir it more often. Keep your temp low.

• Like 1