SEARCH FEATURE SO FRUSTRATING

9 replies to this topic

#1 Sacred Plant Warrior

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1594 posts
  • Interests:mary jane,fine mary jane's,mary jane's with brains, sweet mary jane's

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

i want to know how to use the search feature properly. been here a long time, and i still can't find shit i'm looking for. seems like the search here is quite atypical .

i wanted to know how to upload videos so the video would show instead of the link. search didn't give me anything until i just put the word video in by itself. of course that meant i have too many hits that were useless. the same phenom happens when searching for anything here most of the time.

Help please ? i looked at pinned topic, there wasn't one. only saw how to post pictures which is a pain in of itself. I never understood why our way to do it has to be so difficult in the 1st. place. smh grrr. lol

#2 Darth Budder

Huh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

dude, use google:

site:opengrow.com [YOUR QUERY]

Check this link to learn how to use boolean logic operators to make your searches more efficient
http://www.hbagency....oull-ever-need/

But to tell the truth, i tried to google that for you and did not find much. But these methods usually find me an answer to my grow questions :)

DB

#3 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts
  • Interests:Grokking

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

yeah, google here too, especially for those terms the boards search won't let you search, like oil, cbd, thc, iso, bho, etc.

Stay Safe

BalzOut
"Evil wears every possible mitten"

JUST SAY NO To Strain Name Acronyms

HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES, scroll down to post #12

The NutHouse (grow journal)

#4 Sacred Plant Warrior

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1594 posts
  • Interests:mary jane,fine mary jane's,mary jane's with brains, sweet mary jane's

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

thanks guys,
i consider myself a pretty good online/researcher/finder of 411. thanks for the boolean link Darth B. I'LL PERUSE IT TO SEE IF I CAN ADD more to my search skills . why the technical aspects of this site are more difficult than need me continues to puzzle me when i try to utilize them. que sera sera . thx. again. gents :wave:

#5 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

I think this should be fixed in the future to improve the site.
Using google is not a good alternative as some pages may not be indexed and those will be missed.

The main lacking part of OpenGrows search is the 3 character minimum restriction.

Look how many 3 character words we have around cannabis... THC, HPS, CBD, 600, 400, UVB, BUD, GAL, FEM, REG... it goes on and on.
2 characters restriction would be better and testing how it runs to see if it has any negative site performance - I doubt it will effect it in the slightest but will improve the site search alot.

#6 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

im with u sudden, the 3 character is search is somewhat less then perfect.
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#7 sannie

Breeder

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts
  • Interests:Strong creepy sativa dominant hybrids

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

I have changed the search characters to 3 symbols so it should work now

greetz sannie
Sannie seeds
Sannie Photogallery

Organic al the way

#8 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hey that's pretty cool sannie!

On another note: is it possible to change my name since I'm not THE karma from karma genetics. I wasn't aware of it back then somehow.

I wrote u an email some time ago about that but I guess u got like 5000 of it :D

would be cool if this would work out.

Have a nice Sunday!

Greetz
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#9 sannie

Breeder

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts
  • Interests:Strong creepy sativa dominant hybrids

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:39 AM

@Karma
I would not worry about your name, there is no seeds behind the name but..........
Just shoot me a pm with the change of name you want and I will see if I can change this

greetz sannie
Sannie seeds
Sannie Photogallery

Organic al the way

#10 DukeA#1

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

Remember to use your quotation marks. I almost gave up on the search function. Felt real silly when I saw the instructions to use it.