•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Argo630

Am I the only 315W freak?

I have been running theese lights almost a year and a half and I am thrilled. Just wanted to share a write up by a local shop.

advertisement article to follow.........

LEC 315

In the world of HID lighting for horticulture, Double Ended (DE) fixtures have been getting all the attention lately, but there is another “new” HID fixture that some growers may have naturally overlooked. Ceramic Discharge Metal halide (CDM) also marketed as Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH) and Light Emitting Ceramic (LEC). All of these are in fact the same technology. Ceramic lamps tend to run at a lower, fixed wattage, and their potential to save energy is often their most touted feature, so they may not be as exciting as that fully adjustable DE fixture that you can crank all the way to 1175watts. To fully appreciate the difference and why they deserve your attention, It’s best to see plants growing under an LEC first hand. Here are some of the reasons why you should take a field trip to your local Way to Grow today to see the difference for yourself.

Quality over Quantity

Ceramic lighting tech has actually been available for some time. They were first marketed for use in retail and commercial fixtures as an alternative to unnatural looking yellow-orange HPS bulbs or traditional Metal Halides which dim and burn out more quickly. Similar to a standard HPS bulb except the filament runs at a higher temperature giving them a high Color Rendering Index (CRI), truer to natural sunlight. The upshot was a lamp with the long life of a HPS. As well as a spectrum that couldn’t be matched by the best metal halides, and also capable of putting out excellent PAR measurements.

Grower Tested, Industry Approved

Naturally, when growers first stumbled on the specs for these retail bulbs It seemed a little too good to be true. Once people actually started using them and showing off the difference it made in their plants, ceramic lamps gained a following and the industry began to notice. We can talk PAR, spectrum and PPFD all day. And yes LEC lamps do excel in those areas, but perhaps more compelling is the fact that this tech was discovered “in the field” by growers just like you. It has been researched and vetted not in labs but in garages, basements and warehouses. This is a product that pushed its way into the market and onto grow room shelves as a response to consumer demand.

The Other Bits and Pieces

We’ve been focused mainly on the lamp since most of the LEC fixtures on the market will use either one or two 315watt bulbs. Even considering the improved spectrum, it may not seem like a small wattage bulb could keep up with fixtures pulling nearly twice the power as many growers had been claiming. The ballasts that drive the new lamps are also much improved over the standard magnetic coil ballasts that are used with most metal halide lamps. Just like DE fixtures, the digital ballasts which drive the new LEC lamps use new “digital square wave technology” which basically means the ballast spends more of its time at maximum voltage/light output.

The lower wattage draw means less heat to dissipate even though the lamp element itself is at a higher temperature. This allows the new LEC fixtures to be run open without a lens, keeping the bulb at optimum temperature (and therefore spectrum) without a heavy glass lens, which can rob 10% or more of light output. So now we know it’s a combination of the wide spectrum lamp, efficient ballast and ideal reflector design that allows these fixtures to perform so well compared to lamps drawing much more power.

Applications Well Suited for LEC

While there are both bloom (3100k) and veg (4200k) spectrum LEC bulbs available, either bulb is really dual purpose. That doesn’t mean they’re the best lamp in all circumstances, though. Despite all of their advantages, the 315w LEC does have a smaller effective footprint compared to a 600w or 1000w HPS. For some gardens that may be just right, like when working with a small space, or limited power overhead.

I have found that the two that replaced my 600HPS on a mover work great and have exceeded all my expectations.

• Like 8

I love this lamp too Argo, unfortunately my fixture burnt the bulb, now I need to send it in for check, going with the digistar again kind of sucks - luxury problems haha

• Like 1

I haven't tried using cdm technology for this application, but it is one of the things on my to-do list.. (which is about a thousand years of full-time work long.. so a lot of projects will probably never happen...)

I do have a lot of CDM/cmh based electronics and lamps in store, wattages ranging from 70 up to 1000+, just have to find the time to build/convert a small scale testroom..

I was already thinking of adding some cmh lights to my led gear, to widen the spectrum of light without sacrificing too much efficiency.

• Like 2

Ifish the temps will go down and in my case humidity raised to a solid 40%, i have the Issue of low humidity now so it was a benefit for me beside the better Quality of bud :D

Sudden, I thought about to put a led-bar on the left and right side to widen The spectrum, but I need to figure out which and when I have the money for it...I plan to build a solid chamber with 140 x 110 x 210 cm and get rid of my tent.

Greetz

• Like 2

@argo Did you notice a difference in temp or humidity when you changed from a 600 hps to two 315w cdm ?

I run two 6" fans in flower one on a thermostat and one that i used to use to pull air from my air cooled lights. even in summer things never got over 85F so no change in temps and i have way better coverage with two points of light.

In my humble opinion a watt is a watt as far as math goes watts = work= heat=BTU's.

Hey Argo, Im about to put together a room and need to get the whole kit. Any chance you have a source for the ballast , bulb, and reflector?

I think I may go with the ceramic to start. It sounds great for a lot of reasons.

Thanks for the report!

@argo. Do you run the two cdm in an air cooled reflector also like the 600 hps ?

If so are your outtake fans running any harder or softer or is it just the same heat ( 315w +315w = 600 hps )

Hey, are you using a fixture with two sockets or two fixtures? I'm just starting to research this stuff and can use all of the advice I can get. Thx

• Like 2

I have two different units two are self enclosed ballasts and are quite heavy so some tent support might need to be added. The unit with the seperate ballest is a better unit in my opinion. i was looking at the duel bulb units but i wanted a little more separation of the light as my flower closet is a rectangle of three 2x2 trays. I also have one in my 5x5 tent with a 3x3 tray and i was thinking about putting another one in until i can afford to buy a illumetex The NeoSol DS LED- 520W but at 1500 i can buy 3 315's that i know I can rock. The unit carries less wasted heat in the form of a higher CRI that the plants are able to use more efficiently instead of trying to shed the radiated heat. I am also finding the finishing time dropping by a week or so.The buds might be a bit smaller but they are better tasting and a bit frostier.

I have the sun systems with a built in ballast and the Hydrofarm phantom with remote ballast. I like the remote ballast better but both have been rock solid. I am very happy! I picked them up for around 400-450 by watching the sales and applying internet price list to the clerks face.

• Like 3

Thanks. I was looking at the phantom. It has a pretty good price. Ill keep watching this thread. Interesting stuff.

Thats how it shakes out the 600 was on its own 6" fan in a low boy low profile hood to save headroom. but the light enegry doughnut/ ring was oriented in the wrong direction (wall to door not left to right in the direction of my tray foot print. So everything is much better now and the lights penetrate great and do stuff to the lowers that makes reveg a breeze.

gallery_16840_5710_35096.jpg

gallery_16840_5710_9561.jpg

gallery_16840_5710_33791.jpg

gallery_16840_5710_33172.jpg

gallery_16840_5710_3962.jpg

gallery_16840_5710_70237.png

My grow journal is in the indoor thread under argo's office.

• Like 4

Quality and yield wise if you can, this is ideal choice:

• LEC and HPS combined is one of the most efficient and effective lighting combinations at cost. Close to full spectrum with intensity.
  • I really like dimilux but this is also do to their monitoring and controls. The bulb quality and spectrum and ballast being competent is more important than name.

If I had had to choose one, I would go with LECMH on its own or a 400w HPS on its own. HPS will have more intensity and have the yield a bit better but LEC spectrum will give you quality. As I said, combined is best of both.

• Then select plants and management techniques that are optimized for your size of grow and height aspects. (few get this part)

You can achieve similar with full spectrum LED and Plasma and taper with HPS but pay more for the unit in comparison. Higher end LED can remove the HPS aspect more so but cost wise overall I would recommend typically a LECMH and HPS setup but each situation and environment can call for different setups so I say generically.

• Like 4

@hempy, are you talking running the two systems in tandem, in both veg and flower? How would that set up look? I'm in the planning and information stages of what Ill do. I'm still looking for a new place to live and still don't know the type of room I'll be using but hope to have enough knowledge to go when I'm ready.

rumors said the cdm lamp benefits are mainly for sativa plants while indicas are developing worse than under a hps. And buds should be slightly more leafy but frostier.

Can anyone confirm it or is it just bs?

edit: as much as I know a cdm gives more yield/watt than a hps. Ofc a hps with more wattage will produce more yield...

The thing with the leafs is bs what I can tell so far. What I noticed was a different structure on my chocolate cheese..the buds were denser and so so stinky, more than under my hps.

I need to do a full cycle with it and some of the strains I already grew some time then I can say more.

Looking forward to it hehe

Back in 2010 I had gotten a Philips MasterColor CMH for like ~$30usd. The bulb had a mogul base and it ran on a plain old switchable magnetic ballast. Awesome supplemental light for an HPS or two. Do you know any reasonably priced options for getting into CMH nowadays, and do they have mogul base options or are they all the two pin type?

rumors said the cdm lamp benefits are mainly for sativa plants while indicas are developing worse than under a hps. And buds should be slightly more leafy but frostier.

They do keep plants really short and stout like LEDs, but it's a stretch to say it isnt good for indica's.

The 400w mogul base ones are discontinued I think , just the two pin now

There's an adaptor to covert your old reflector base from mogul to the two pin type but I don't know how safe they are , resistance or something idk ?

I am just going to fit new bases to my ac reflector or cool tube ............ Hopefully lol

• Like 1

Philips in EU made the CDM and CDO series since longtime with standard E40 screw, in US under the CMH name existed with higher power like 400W... coupled with master greenpower or again grolux it's perfect. The only sad thing from CMH is it heats a few more. (but they are difficult to find now)

• Like 1