Off the shelf house leds

42 replies to this topic

#1 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Ok a fellow grower who is still cabbing it for stealth reasons has stumbled upon a thread in another fourm of guys growing with off the shelf bulbs in micro grows that has me rethinking some of my current beliefs. I had alwas thought it in the back of my mind it could be done but never tried it. I guess i was right I am sorry i never read over here much as I am no longer cab growing but what happens in micro grows can improve efficiency at a larger scale. the thread is 100 plus pages.

I was thinking of dipping my toe in the water. I figured a couple of 4 foot strips and some plug adapters for my tent and away i go. A pic of some in action by a guy named scrog frog shows me what i want to see.
Posted Image

Posted Image
From scrog frog over at EYE see mag

Posted Image

Anybody doing this here?
"Seeds are a great thing"

#2 baggybahn

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Interests:Change for the better

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Ive experimented with le.d. floods before. For veg. Never tried flowering with them. Id like to see where this goes.
Wakka wakka.

#3 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Here are two more pics of flowering under them the first by scrog frog again and the second by Ganjic. I am sorry for cross posting images from the net but this gets me excited.

scrogfrog
Posted Image

Ganjic
Posted Image

#4 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

If spectrum is good then is a question of penetration. Keep in mind environment too.

Spectrum King makes a closet keeper that may be of interest. I have not seen it work but I like what I saw from some of their other lights.
https://www.spectrum...led-grow-light/
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#5 baggybahn

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:18 AM

@hempy. Ive been saving up for a spec. King. Funny you mentioned that. Lol. Yeah. That is head on. Its about spectrum. Lumen. And output. After that. A focus of are coverages. Most are a m2. For obvious reasons. Ive used mid range high out put floods i found at lowes. 75 bucks per light. But it worked great. Only downfall was it ot extremely hot. I recommend using a ballast or pot made for this or that can cool it. Bc the ones i had pushe 120 Fahrenheit
Wakka wakka.

#6 neogitus

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

During my time looking into LED's ( in the market for one but still haven't been able to pull the trigger yet) Spectrum king was once on my list but then I discovered they have a LOT of bad reviews, and horrible customer service, I'd personally steer clear of them, as they are in the high end price range If you're looking to spend good money for a good light have heard good things about black dog led. They are extremely expensive though, so there are definitely other options out there. Another option although new is a company called starlite led. They're pretty new but have some pretty cool patented tech which they are using for cannabis growing. Pretty sure they even had a government contract.

Mars II lights also might be of interest, they are much cheaper compared to the above lights. I currently own a viparspectra led but it is only used to veg, as the spectrum is very geared towards the blue end. Lots of leds coming out now days that are full spectrum will have a near infrared and a UV spectrum that is supposed to have additional benefits. just be careful when buying a light, as a large portion of LED's advertised as 300W or 600W will actually only draw around 150 and 300w at the wall. If you want a LED to perform like a HID I'd recommend matching the wattage with the power draw at the wall , not the advertised wattage.

There's currently debate going on about what is the best spectrum for cannabis plants, as some companies say white led full spectrum is ideal , while others say mostly blue and red. One company suggested white to me as I was emailing them asking questions, but the majority on the market are still blue/red. There's still a lot to learn as I have seen Ceramic metal Halide lights grow some extremely potent stuff , when they apparently don't have the most ideal spectrum for growing cannabis.

https://www.blackdogled.com/
https://www.amazon.c...s=spectrum+king
http://www.starlite-led.com/
http://www.viparspec...tegory.php?id=1
https://www.mars-hydro.com/

#7 baggybahn

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

Thanks neo. Yeah after you said this i looked. There are bad reviews. A lot of them in fact. It just lools so well built. I feel i could make this myself however. May go that route. Well see. Amd Blackdog is a great one. Also on my list. Ive not met anyone running mars long enough to say yes or no. So i couldnt say. As for spectrum. I take what everyone says at half truth. Bc lots are just pushing their brand to get out of the debt accrued from building their companies. Anyway. Yeah spectrum. I usually just listen to the plants. See how the react to each thing and go from there. I take what anyone says typically with a grain of salt. But with respect. Bc we all have our 2 cents worth of experiences. And i value them all. But at the same damned time. I know we can mispeak. Misread. And misunderstand anything. Context is hard tto come by in internetland. Ppl get offended or misunderstand things and go on rants for no true reason. And take shit far too personal. Lol. Anyhoo. I think youre right. Spectrum king is in fact over priced and illreviewed as ive seen now. Thank you for looking out for fellow growers. Thats the kind of behavior that needs to be seen more now a days. Bless and love.
Wakka wakka.

#8 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

I almost bought that same fixture until i read some bad stuff about them. I think you purist are missing the point. It works... so if you need a budget cab and dont want to throw down 200-500 or more on a good proven T5 or one of the many led panels on the market.

This on the other hand is readily available and easy to throw together if you are just getting started or need a quick veg area or flower isolation booth for breeding I wasn't saying this is the best way to grow but you cant argue with the after photos. Some of these guys are pulling off more than a GPW with out the need to build COB panels. We as a community should not always assume our way is the best and keep an open mind.

We want to expand our numbers not make it so complicated we scare away new people interested in putting some positive vibration in there life.

Bedsides if beginners pick up this method, led grow lights of higher quality would have to come down in price because two boxes of cheap lightbulbs a power strip and some adapters for 100 bucks from homedepot works to give me 6 z every three months then your light had better do what it says it does...

I have been growing over 20 years and this gets me pretty excited that is all.

#9 GanjaShaman

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

View Postneogitus, on 22 January 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

During my time looking into LED's ( in the market for one but still haven't been able to pull the trigger yet) Spectrum king was once on my list but then I discovered they have a LOT of bad reviews, and horrible customer service, I'd personally steer clear of them, as they are in the high end price range If you're looking to spend good money for a good light have heard good things about black dog led. They are extremely expensive though, so there are definitely other options out there. Another option although new is a company called starlite led. They're pretty new but have some pretty cool patented tech which they are using for cannabis growing. Pretty sure they even had a government contract.

Mars II lights also might be of interest, they are much cheaper compared to the above lights. I currently own a viparspectra led but it is only used to veg, as the spectrum is very geared towards the blue end. Lots of leds coming out now days that are full spectrum will have a near infrared and a UV spectrum that is supposed to have additional benefits. just be careful when buying a light, as a large portion of LED's advertised as 300W or 600W will actually only draw around 150 and 300w at the wall. If you want a LED to perform like a HID I'd recommend matching the wattage with the power draw at the wall , not the advertised wattage.

There's currently debate going on about what is the best spectrum for cannabis plants, as some companies say white led full spectrum is ideal , while others say mostly blue and red. One company suggested white to me as I was emailing them asking questions, but the majority on the market are still blue/red. There's still a lot to learn as I have seen Ceramic metal Halide lights grow some extremely potent stuff , when they apparently don't have the most ideal spectrum for growing cannabis.

https://www.blackdogled.com/
https://www.amazon.c...s=spectrum+king
http://www.starlite-led.com/
http://www.viparspec...tegory.php?id=1
https://www.mars-hydro.com/

I'm a big fan of the Fluence BioEngineering Spydr Xplus. It outperforms my gavitas. I have 2 and will be adding 2 more shortly. High up front costs ($1500USD each), but you will get your ROI quickly! Less heat than my gavitas too.

#10 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

I have seen some awsome grows with the bigger neosol from illumitex but at 1500 bucks ehh im not in at that price point yet but I have seen what they can do!

#11 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I cannot say I disapprove of the quality of spectrumking LED (not talking price) nor can I say anything bad on their customer service.

Below is generic purchase info

Looking at reviews for light companies in reviews is like looking for reviews of politicians. How much of that is real and fake?

If you cannot determine a quality made product outside of reviews I suggest the following:
  • Learn about the equipment quality and determine if they use good or shit.
  • Learn about spectrum and penetration and determine how that rates to your needs and competition at equal levels.
  • Review grow reports, grow logs that have more than one grow with them.
  • Take reviews on the company site with grain of salt. Look at videos and look at inner and lower growth. Decide for yourself how they look.
  • When evaluating a light never give to much a shit at the canopy level compared to the quality at the lower levels of the bud range. If you can, look at middle of crop and at the edges, bottom bud quality is what you evaluate. This will tell you much more if you do that.
Make an educated decision, your plants deserve it, you deserve it and if your not educated on how to purchase, than learn how to buy for real and not by advertisements. No matter who it be it who they from.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#12 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2144 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

View Postelwin_ransom, on 22 January 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

Thanks neo. Yeah after you said this i looked. There are bad reviews. A lot of them in fact. It just lools so well built. I feel i could make this myself however. May go that route. Well see. Amd Blackdog is a great one. Also on my list. Ive not met anyone running mars long enough to say yes or no. So i couldnt say. As for spectrum. I take what everyone says at half truth. Bc lots are just pushing their brand to get out of the debt accrued from building their companies. Anyway. Yeah spectrum. I usually just listen to the plants. See how the react to each thing and go from there. I take what anyone says typically with a grain of salt. But with respect. Bc we all have our 2 cents worth of experiences. And i value them all. But at the same damned time. I know we can mispeak. Misread. And misunderstand anything. Context is hard tto come by in internetland. Ppl get offended or misunderstand things and go on rants for no true reason. And take shit far too personal. Lol. Anyhoo. I think youre right. Spectrum king is in fact over priced and illreviewed as ive seen now. Thank you for looking out for fellow growers. Thats the kind of behavior that needs to be seen more now a days. Bless and love.

Hey Elwin! I can tell you that mars leds work. A friend of mine was running 4 grows and has 2 old model 300watts about 140,- for 2 at ebay) and he got always 0,5 per watt in an 80x80cm cab.( true consumption is about 130 watts) I think a littlle bit more is manageable especially a hydro setup would interest me. He bought a Hans panel the new model and is disappointed with it he prefers the Mars LEDs. Another friend is disappointed too but it was his first grow so take this with a grain of salt.

I may take the hans panel for veg and experiments.

For this low money u can try the mars IMO.

Greetz
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#13 Papalag

Old school hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Hi Argo
I use mars hydro reflector series Iif I remember it's the 96 chip one they have a switch for veg and flower mode I run two of them side by side
They have been running for aprox 1&1/2 years with no issues
And at the price if they brake well its some what inexpensive to replace 270 vs 1500
I feel they are just right for me
Just my 2 cents
Papalag

#14 baggybahn

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Thanks fof the input on mars. Was curious. Good to know someone here has experience with it. Im still debating on things as far as led. Ive used hps and mh for so long. Experimenting with led here and there is as far as its gone so far. Yet to find a keeper. I see so many though who have maxed some killer grows with led . thanks arg. For running this thread. I may bust out te floods and run another tent for it noa. Just to see what happens.
Wakka wakka.

#15 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

I was trying to keep this thread about the topic of growing with off the shelf led' bulbs from the store not this or that panel. I'm just saying this is about cracking open some bulbs and proving that plants will grow without 100% perfect spectrum acceptably with out shelling out 200-1500 bucks.

#16 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2144 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hey Argo I was thinking about building a unit with the clear led bulbs from the homeworkers store but couldn't make the first step back then...I think I didn't want to a waste time if this would have been a fail. Nowadays is different...

Greetz
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#17 baggybahn

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Want to make sure to stay on topic here. So to be clear. Not the led floods off shelf. But just the regular all purpose home type bulb?
Wakka wakka.

#18 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

yes sir a box of 70W replacement house hold in warm and natural i don't think based on the reading it even matters that much 15bucks remove the plastic globe plug in light bar or cobbled up socket of your choice and go. put 2-5" over the tops from the reading if you have a good spread they are good to around 10 -16" closer the better inverse square law and all that i believe floodlights are fine but about 12x the cost of a led sale bulb as they are just more of the same in a smaller area using more wattage but i was going to do some 70W/10 W actual bulbs to start.

#19 baggybahn

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

I gotcha. Thx. Seems like it would work well to me.
Wakka wakka.

#20 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

ahhh, i misunderstand you off the shelf remark. I have been watching to many build LED's haha.

On that note: Check out russian forums. They do excellent micro grows and mirrors America back in the day in that respect a bit.
https://olkpeace.org/

It is in Russian and you will need to register perhaps. Use a translator if necessary. It is possible what you seek is there.