Moms I'd Like to not Flower

8 replies to this topic

#1 Barreleye

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

So I have a few cuts I wouldn't mind running with for awhile. The problem is that they seem to get forced into flower when they get root bound, so keeping a mom isn't easy. Not a big fan of taking clones from semi flowering plants, takes a bit to revert to true veg and increases chance of mold in the cloning kit.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening besides keeping a series of clones active?

Should I run through some more seeds and look for stable mothers that don't do this?

Currently I run 24 hr a day light, no break at night. Would switching to a 18/6 schedule help?

Any magic supplements that would keep those flowering hormones away?

Thanks y'all!

#2 Sanji

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

once a motherplant gets too big, take a clone, and once rooted, discard, or flower the older motherplant. Other option is learning how to correctly prune roots or to learn bonzai motherplant techniques. third option is to place motherplant in a airpot or smartpot. it might now fully stop the process, but Cannabis planted in smart pots or air pots can't really become root-bound, which is when roots wrap around the edges of the container and "choke" the plant. In a smart pot or air pot, it's very difficult for the plant to get rootbound since it's always receiving air from the sides which air prunes away any roots trying to wrap around the edges.
"there ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on, till we get to the end of the line."

#3 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4218 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

I think you have a sensitive mother or are in very small containers. What is the genetics? I want to rule out any auto stuff going on if autos were used in the line.

I will follow Sanji and also recommend the fabric containers or air pots. containers that air prune roots are good for moms over time.

You can also unpot your mom, trim the roots and repot her but I would likely find another mom. The flowering from stress is not such a trait you want.

Is it hermie prone?
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#4 Barreleye

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

I'm using 5x5 inch pots right now...once the plants get to about one foot tall they'll start pushing pistils and flowering. I'm just kind of assuming that once the roots hit the pot it triggers the reaction. I'll bonzai them for now and see how they look in a month. Will pick up some of those felt pots to replace the plastic ones.

The strains I'm wanting to keep are a sugar black rose cut I got from a friend, love the stone and want to keep her for awhile. The other is huckleberry spacequeen 50/50 pheno. Frostiest plant I've grown, great buzz profile and tastes like buttered berry muffins :icecream: . Looks like the Ms Universe cut I got also wants to flower...haven't smoked it yet so don't know if I wanna keep her.

Neither is hermie prone that I can tell. Space huck got some abuse one round and made it through like a champ.

I'll experiment a bit. Try to report back with results when there is something to say.

The SBR mom I put into my clackamos coot soil experiment looks like it'll be ready in about 40 days! Just kind of skipped the preflower stretch though. Space huck didn't stretch either and finishing a week or two earlier than my hydro run. Maybe there's a silver lining with such quick flowering times happening.

#5 Sanji

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:19 AM

If I may I recommend you to taker several cuttings and make at least 4-5 bonzai motherplants. In that way, it will be OK if you accidentally kill a few of them. Bonzai mothers can be tricky, so I recommend precaution
"there ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on, till we get to the end of the line."

#6 Barreleye

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Air pots were the solution, thanks y'all!

#7 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4820 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

we ought to rename Hempy to Professor..

all jokes aside...he does know his shit..lol

#8 hidronesia

gold digger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

Barelleye... never ever keep mums under 24/24 light:)
that is a big stress for them...
thats why u have seen pistils
under 24 or 18 light per day any good genetics should not flower..without ruderalis in the gene-pool.
size of the pot doesnt matter in my opinion.. but small pots need knowledge... and airpots are the best as Hempy wrote..

#9 polygonum

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

I had the same problem with my semi auto amnesia x guerilla gold mom, had some succes trimming back the roots but it made them unhealthy.

Ended up with 3 fingered leaves after a couple of months...

Also keeping you temps very low and just giving 4 hours of darkness helped, but low temps slow everything down so that is only helpfull if you want to keep an outdoor plant alive for taking cuts the next outdoor season.

And those cuts sometimes shoot straight into flower when you put them outside...

I guess with a semi auto you can only delay the flowering but in the end she will start to flower and your cuts will start with revegging and all the problems that come with it, I wouldn't reccomend going through the trouble to try and keep a semi auto mom unless you are bussy breeding outdoor seeds.
Making seeds with chucky's bride https://www.opengrow...ide-as-a-daddy/
Boudica looking for a motherplant https://www.opengrow...-a-motherplant/
Guerilla and breeding 2017 https://www.opengrow...-breeding-2017/
Guerilla and breeding 2016 https://www.opengrow...-breeding-2016/
Guerilla and breeding 2014 https://www.opengrow...eeding-2014-nl/
Guerilla 2013 https://www.opengrow...eeding-2014-nl/
Shackzilla Scrog 2013 https://www.opengrow...att-gavita-pro/