•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Elro

BHO shatters and oils am I the only one who is paranoid about this?

You now there is some awfully tasty looking BHO shatters and oils out there and I've never tried any of them am I the only one?????

My problem is I just can't get past the fact that it's made with butane!!!!!

The opportunity has presented itself on more than one occasion and pretty much the responses have been "seriously you gotta try it you just don't know what you're missing out on" I'm tempted but again I just have trouble with the butane portion of the process.

Some of my friends think I'm just being paranoid, I've tried to find some information on the long and short term health effects of using Butane in shatters and oils.

Any thoughts on this or perhaps a push in the right direction as far as researching this goes.

Am I the only one that's paranoid about this?????

• Like 1

I'd go from the gut feeling, If u have problems with butane then try another style like rosin or aho. Personally I'd prefer the 2 I mentioned. But to try a hit from the 'local' would not kill u ;)

• Like 4

Butane-Tane soup, gross as all get out, and not enough quality BHO makers with integrity out here. Try some rosin, clean, you wont' hack up a lung. I hate that we have products with Butane, I don't feel it is clean enough.

You are not being paranoid, you have brains to think this out lol I've seen some pretty bad practices of how this is made.

• Like 4

get that rosin up in you brother, or old school bubble hash is awesome. Dabs are cool, and sometimes debilitating, but they dont seem to be the same quality complexity to it like pure bud or hash. they just get me very #@##$%%$#@@ up. lol

• Like 2

If it is purged well (vacuum purge) than likely not so bad an issue but I am with you, a dispensary I would expect this quality. If through other "traditional means" I would be more wary.

Rosin is same type of concentrate but made with just heat and pressure. I still do not care for it as it zombies you and makes us look like junkies when doing dabs but to each their own. I am sure younger Hempyfan would of been a Dabbingfan back in the day.

Today, I am not so fast lane guy in life of wild compared to days past.

• Like 4

@MiNdLesS

AHO is that alcohol honey oil??

I'm guessing that's the one made with Everclear or Global 95, I'm familiar with the process haven't had the opportunity to try it or make it for that matter.

Been looking into and researching it, pretty interesting especially if you decide to make your own 95 proof, more on that later!!!!!

Rosin is that where you nope forget it gotta refresh my memory on that process!!

Thanks!!!!

• Like 1

@gardenartus

LOL thanks it's been awhile since someone's complimented me on using my head for something other than opening coconuts!!!!!

BUT I am a coir guy so that explains a few things but not everything!!!!

@StankyDank30

Did the bubble hash thing with a friend several years back worked great.

He baught some coloured 7 or 10 bag system wasn't cheap we got pretty hammered making it, talked him last year and said we should get together and make some more.

He told me he got 4 or 5 more runs out of it and then the bags all started to fall apart.

Too bad that was a happy day!!!!!!

@Hempyfan

Right that's the one where you are just using the Keif? I think?????

Have to do a little more research!!!!!

LOL Zombies, Yea I am not a big fan, smoking it gives me an odd head high I do not care for, it is different to me then cannabis high from just the herb or a medible or the oil. I've used it a few times when extreme pain, and it was a true blessing, but on a normal basis it is not something I would choose. I don't like the high off smoking the oil I made either.

• Like 4

Cartridge of Dymethetyl ether is cleaner than butane

Look for "Dexso" extraction

• Like 1

@gardenartus

Now that's interesting to hear!!!

@RAS-T

I think that's the same stuff my buddy uses to help start some of his heavy Deisel machinery in the cold winter months when nesassary.

Am I wrong about that?????

I'll check it out.

Rosin ok extreme pressure and heat in order for the extraction to occur, got it looks very interesting.

@RAS-T

Yeah just finished a little reading, interesting product it's not for me though.

Its different than start pilot

But if you got a good vaccum purge

Im not a big fan too but from time to time

But when i want to calm down my mental and physical Hyperactivity its a good product for that

And for many other medical application

• Like 1

The reason why you cant compare BHO to the likes of AHO and other methods is because of the polarity of the substance, trichomes and the plant material. I really like Rosen which uses only heat and pressure!

• Like 1

@RAS-T

Thanks for the input!!!!!

@Sanji

The Rosin is a process I'd be interested in, was checking out the Rosin press as well going to do some more reading on this.

AHO now I've been knocking this idea around for about a year now.

I'm really liking the idea of making my own 90+ % alcohol now that would require a still and also have a duel purpose for me.

AHO seems to be the method I'm most interested in.

Now getting Global 95 here where I am requires a trip to Quebec going through Ottawa would be the shortest route about 4.5/5 hrs.

At $65.00 for a 750ml bottle plus over a $100.00 in fuel there and back the math starts to get ugly!!

I'm sure you could get it online but I'm gonna guess it's going to be at least a $100.00 + for a 750ml bottle by the time it gets to my door.

Everclear would require a border trip to the USA and I believe a 24 or 48hr stay if I'm not mistaken??

I believe there's also an online option as well but that will get expensive too.

Now I've been knocking the still idea around for awhile and have been looking at these guys based in the US, the 8 gallon or 13 gallon seem be about the right size.

http://moonshine-still.co/

Anyone know of any Canadian folks who build these???

I'm not interested any of the cheap Chinese offshore shit!!!!!

Going to have to seriously look into the Rosin as well!!

• Like 1

I eat that, do not smoke it, the AHO :) One thing if you do make it for smoking, you don't want the chlorophyll in there. You would want to use the freezer method or another method to get the green out. Freezer method you keep from puling it, I use activated charcoal, it takes the green out. Also winterizing it, pulls out the waxes, makes a much smoother and tastier smoke. Plus if you reclaim your alcohol it partially decarbs it. Alcohol evaps at such a low temp, you could have the heat low enough not to decarb but it takes forever to reclaim the alcohol. I use so much it really pays to have an alcohol reclaim machine. It pays for itself in a matter of a few runs.

I think rosin is a better all around alternative, no chemicals, just pure THC.

This is the oil/alcohol before and after winterizing and using activated carbon.

gallery_14187_5117_2422.jpg

• Like 4

AHO seems to be the method I'm most interested in.

Now getting Global 95 here where I am requires a trip to Quebec going through Ottawa would be the shortest route about 4.5/5 hrs.

At $65.00 for a 750ml bottle plus over a $100.00 in fuel there and back the math starts to get ugly!!

I'm sure you could get it online but I'm gonna guess it's going to be at least a $100.00 + for a 750ml bottle by the time it gets to my door.

Everclear would require a border trip to the USA and I believe a 24 or 48hr stay if I'm not mistaken??

I believe there's also an online option as well but that will get expensive too.

Now I've been knocking the still idea around for awhile and have been looking at these guys based in the US, the 8 gallon or 13 gallon seem be about the right size.

http://moonshine-still.co/

Anyone know of any Canadian folks who build these???

I'm not interested any of the cheap Chinese offshore shit!!!!!

Going to have to seriously look into the Rosin as well!!

If you wanna make extracts using alcohol, then I recommend QWISO. Though it can be really tricky to purge sometimes...

@gardenartus

Ok now you are starting to scare me I'm actually starting to think that you are in my head, I just want to make it clear that there's not enough room for the two of us in here!!!!! LOL

Yes I'm leaning more towards edibles and medicated pain creams (more on this later) that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to expirament with smokables but the emphasis would be more towards the pain creams.

I've been looking at recovering and recycling the alcohol as a sustainable set up it just makes sense to do so!!!!!

I've been looking at these folks for that type of set up again based in the USA.

http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html

Again not interested in cheap Chinese crap.

Plus the set up is expandable to do exactly what we're talking about.

@Sanji

Ok QWISO going to have to research this a bit never heard of it.

@MiNdLesS

Well you certainly seem to have much easier access to high proof alcohol then we do!!!!!

hehehe Medibles and topicals are the bomb, smoking can not compare for pain relief. It also allows us to experience what THC 11 feels like :)

Balms can be made from fan leaves, medibles from infused butter or coconut oil. I rarely have made mine with oil. I like it better when made with an infusion instead of using an extracted resin. When you are ready to make a balm, if you don't know how, just hit me up, really easy to do. I add a lot of essential oils to mine geared toward pain and anti inflammation.

• Like 2