•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sudden

LED Binning - Worthwhile caring about? (CREE, Vero, Citizen)

I seen regularly people talking about how CREE offers binning whereas Citizen and Vero do not.

Does getting a better bin really produce any worthy significant improvement to worry about?

Especially seeing as Cree are already more expensive than Vero's, hunting for a better bin makes the LED even more expensive...

• Like 1

hi

take CREE cxb 3070 or better 3590 (in better used 180lm/w)

Price between CREE , VERO and Citizen is not big enought ...

you can find very low and good "chinese" products if you find good, and make a really cheap and good led rail (led chip = 120ml/w)

if you need infos, ask it

ciao

• Like 1

Price between CREE , VERO and Citizen is not big enought ...

Vero price is 50% cheaper than CREE, that's a big difference, Also with Vero you do not need the COB holder which costs another $4 or so...After more research, I think the BIN does matter... However this bin stuff just makes choosing an LED more time consuming... Factoring everything in requires alot of variables to consider
  • Like 1

Hi Sudden,

Cree luminous flux binning is hugely important. I'm no longer in design mode (and haven't kept up with the tech) but the cool kids seem to be using the latest Vero and Citizen COBs. [i'd direct you to RIU but it is a dead site.]

If your heart is set on Cree I can explain the data sheets and there is a Cree spreadsheet for comparing their different versions.

• Like 2

Hi Sudden,

Cree luminous flux binning is hugely important.  I'm no longer in design mode (and haven't kept up with the tech) but the cool kids seem to be using the latest Vero and Citizen COBs.  [i'd direct you to RIU but it is a dead site.]

If your heart is set on Cree I can explain the data sheets and there is a Cree spreadsheet for comparing their different versions.

Hey ledfoot, yes I think your right, the increase in lumen from the higher bins does seem to be quite significant.I also seen quite alot of builds with vero and citizen like you said...The whole thing is becoming more and more complex, Plus the fact that alot of builds feature older generation COBS, and comments stating that "now that brand x has a new gen COB, its better than this".That cree spreadsheet you mentioned sounds interesting, do you have alink? I should have my design drawn up in about 1 hour, Would be great to get your opinion.

So I done some measuring.

I have a Room size of 2.5M x 4M

I was thinking not to use the whole room, but 5ft x 10ft.

If I was to run each COB at around 50w(as seen in many DIY setups), and one cob per square foot, I would need 50 Cobs.

CREE 50 @ $50 = $2500 Model : CXB3590 CRI 90

VERO 50 @ $25 = $1250 Model : Vero 29 gen7

CITI 50 @ $14.25 = $712.50 Model : CItizen CLU048-1212 CRI 90

Also I have the option to run the COBS at higher Wattage and therefore lower the COB total, perhaps 1 cob per 1.5ft squared. From what I remember Vero's begin to catch up and beat CREEs in efficiency when driven at higher currents. Perhaps its an option

Get a pair of these and start growing (I've never used pin heatsinks but lots of people are going passive with them):

http://timbergrowlig...-5x5-framework/

We start with (3) of our 300 Watt (3) COB Bridgelux Vero29 V7 Kits. Then we connect them all together and add an aluminum angle frame. Then we mount everything to the frame with the appropriate spacing matched to the size of your growing area. All you do is hang it up and plug it in. This fixture is designed to cover a 4.5' x 4.5' to a 5' x 5' flowering/full cycle coverage area.

Using selected components considered by many to be the best combination of efficiency and light quality, we offer a 900 watt Vero29 V7 COB Frame Grow Light with (9) Bridgelux Vero29 V7 LEDs pre-assembled and mounted on highly efficient SST-X black anodized aluminum Splayed Pin heatsinks using Arctic 5 Thermal paste - wired up to Meanwell HLG-320H-C2100B power supplies with waterproof quick connectors and a pre-wired potentiometer for dimming. Fused 10A power cord and 18GA wire keep things safe.

This light comes completely assembled as shown. Get up and growing fast and safely. Our frame is designed to spread the light output evenly over your grow area to give even coverage at operating heights of 12-18" above the canopy.

Featuring:

Bridgelux Vero29 V7 Type C COB LEDs

Ledil ANGELINA 90 Degree Reflectors (removable)

SST-X Black Anodized Aluminum Passive Splayed Pin Heatsinks

Dimmable from 100 % to 10% Power Output

Meanwell HLG-320H-C2100B power supplies with waterproof interconnects - connected to a fused 10A power cord for safe operation

42" x 42" Aluminum Angle Frame with COBs spaced for even coverage

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

Total Wattage Consumption (@ wall): 900

PAR watts: 450

PPFD @ 54" x 54" = 1200

PPFD @ 60" x 60" = 900

EDIT: My 2.5 x 10 foot space (equal area as 60in x 60in) used almost 500 PAR watts with Cree CXB3590 during my last grow. It was enough power and the overlap would be better with a five foot grow space width.

• Like 1

You don't need 50 cob

Cree cxb 3590 with holder and Lens 100mm and 120° cost 40$

Only vero is 20/22$

Citizen 17$

Then price with holder + lens are not enought différent cause you must calculated the Best way of Use and the Best ratio lm/w and with that you can calculated heatsink needed. .. passif or ot ...

In one box of 1.2 x 3m we put 900w x 2 of créé Light rail

• Like 1

@Running Water - Do you know much much lumens per watt that 26 CREE 3590 setup you listed gives?

I saw a user from 420magazine claiming to get 207 Lumens per watt from his 3590s...