•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Toker

Let's talk T 5

Ola amigos, I'm new to T5.

I have yet to purchase my set up, but

It may be 2 ,8 foot 4 bulb

Fixture's if my source quoted me correct.

In any case, since space us an issue I have had to ditch my hid,be creative and carve out a spot that's 8 foot, 6 inches long, 4 foot wide and 38 inches tall.

That's the plan anyway.

Thoughts are welcome, I have several weeks before flower, time enough critique the plan.

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Toker

8FT lights may be a little tough on the flexibility if and when you start a new room. I would go with 4 4ft lights to help with options should your room situation change. Just my two cents. Good Luck.

Be Cool and Peace

Billman

• Like 4

6 X Philips master cdm elite 150w 930 , g12 fittings , 6 X Philips p vc 150w ballasts , all cheap on eBay : ) there just shop fittings , 942 for veg ( 100w / 70w )

The glass part of the bulb is the size of a regular clipper lighter : )))

• Like 3

I liked growing with T5's.

Had two sets of bulbs for veg and flower.

Started with a Hydrofarm 4' 4 bulb unit but got an 8 bulb unit later.

You can get a lot closer to the plants with fluorescent.

Only do sunlight now so got the 4 bulb unit in my workshop.

They have to be HO high output so each bulb is 54 watts.

I had one of these:

www.ebay.com/itm/161199448254?

• Like 3

It can be done. Yeah, yeah, yeah, HID is much better, your yields will suffer in comparison and so on. But no matter what, you get a much bigger yield by growing with a sub-optimal setup than by not growing because everything isn't perfect.

As with anything else, you want as much light as possible. Chances are, you either mean 2 foot bulbs or 4 foot bulbs. Those are the common sizes for growing. If you can get an 8 or 6 bulb fixture, it will beat a 2 or 4. Base it on the size of your area.

I'd go with a mix of tube types -- warm and cool. I'd also get a few UVB cfls or tubes from a pet supply store to supplement during flowering. It works.

You still need plenty of ventilation, because they give off heat, just less heat than HID. Have fun. I've grown chocolate cheese to maturity under T-5s with good results.

• Like 5

Wow, 8' lights are kind of overkill for a micro grow. Have you ever tried to change an 8' bulb... it can be a real pain in the ass for one person.

I normally use a 2' x 4', 4 bulb T5HO for veg, but a month ago, one of my T5 ballasts stopped working and I've been using T8 for veg with no problems whatsoever.

With ventilation, you should be able to get the lights within a few inches of the plant tops without harming them.

• Like 5

I keep wanting to upgrade my veg lighting to improve production, for something to do to tweak my gardening experience and to add some wattage but everytime I go about replacing my T-5 I can't because of how well it works in my garden. This light (2x4 *bulb HO fixture) is great for maintaining a healthy temperature as well as it works wonderfully for rooting clones, starting seeds, small flowers and even large flowers in 5 gallon bags as they are trained.

I am sure their is something a lot better out there, and I have led lights that I do not use in veg anymore, because I like how well this one works and its a clear daylight blue and not the pink/purple of the leds. Truth be told I got impatient learning to clones under leds', i know that sounds like bullshit but the plants don't lie and they hated rooting under that light, so right back to the T5 and voila cropping healthy flowers all the way through their life cycle running 6500k in all light fixtures in both rooms.

My last piece of advice is get shorter bulbs if you can because replacing them is a pain in the ass, disposing of them is a pain in the ass and when they do die out in the fixture at least if it won't cause as large of a shadow in the area where it is no longer casting light.

Have fun and good luck in the garden!

• Like 2

Thanks, reading over your posts and contemplating bulb arrangement it would be better to have 4 bulb 4 foot fixtures.

Because side by side that's 8 bulbs in approx 40 inches in width.

Micro may not fit me, my size is on the big end for sure.

Yes, I have done hid for years, I'm only growing for me, my personal and my happiness.

My guerilla plans are another matter.

So please, go on...tell me about temps, anything really is helpful.

I'm looking forward to it, I think with proper technique, scrogging I can do ok.

Thanks

• Like 2

Scrogging or any other method that will keep the buds at an even distance from the light is good. It's more important than with HID, for obvious reasons. Have a fan draw the air from above the light with vents below. It's quite simple.

• Like 2

Love my T5's never flowered with em however. This is my latest tray of starts powered by a mixed batch of t5 fixtures thrown together for the job.

The tray is 2.5x4 ,

gallery_16840_5710_31499.jpg

• Like 3

The 2 foot long T5HO spec really isn't very good--the 54W four footers are the way to go for flower. And don't get no-name lamps, either.

For vegging I've been happy with T8 four footers in high bay luminaires.

• Like 1

Check these out, they take T5's to a whole new level, due to their UVA/UVB spectrum. Given you're pretty height limited, consider just adding two Power Veg bulbs in a T5 fixture, and keep them 6-8 inches from plants, works awesome. I use them in my flower room to add UV for final flowering, works awesome.

Good luck!

http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/power-veg.aspx

• Like 3

I have several power veg tubes and they work awesome. I have been wanting to buy some high price color tubes as well.

I got into them from my LED grows, looking for ways to increase UV exposure. LED's DEFINITELY create danker buds, but the reason is, all the new ones have added UV light spectrums, which is proven to increase THC percent by 3-5%. My grow space is only 50 inches by 28 inches, by 8 ft ceilings, and I run a 600 HPS in the center, then daisy chain 2 24 inch power veg along the sides, and one 4 ft Power Veg lengthwise. Works great, and I think it speeds up flower time by a few days. I use the full spectrum ones. If just using them to increase resin, Hortilux states you only really need to use them the last few weeks of flowering. But they work awesome vegging, too.

Be sure and buy glasses!! The UV is hard on the eyes, quick, if you spend time with your plants like I do.

• Like 2

I'm completely sold on adding UVB. It's great not having to buy those lizard lights anymore.

• Like 3

I'm completely sold on adding UVB. It's great not having to buy those lizard lights anymore.

"Lizard lights", that's funny as heck after a spliff of Apollo 11, FYI. Lol.

• Like 2

For a long time, the only UVB bulbs widely available were sold in pet stores, because reptiles -- especially desert lizards -- need a lot of UVB in order to build bones.

When I get set up again, there will be some 4' UVB tubes in my flower room. I noticed a difference in all my clones when I cut out UVB one grow. It wasn't a proper scientific comparison, but it was enough to convince me.

• Like 2

T5's are underrated as long as you are restricting height, they do not penetrate well but there are an array of quality bulbs to give a good spectrum and they can be kept down on the canopy and used for side lighting. In small spaces they are still a great choice.

Oh shoot revived a dead thread, sorry!

• Like 1

I only recommend t5 for early veg possibly maintaining a mother plant and for micro grow situations.

as stated by copperland what they do is great depending on the bulbs and environment but the penetration is not much.

• Like 1

I personally think the T-5 is the most underused/under rated luminar available to us.

My 2'- 8 bulb is height fixed in my veg tent, so when I bring small cuts2clones down from the tent attic, and put them in 1 gallon pots, they go right beside the 2' and 3' plants that will be shuttled into the flower tent.

The real shocker for me, as a sprout grower, was when my blue and red tubes started to blink out, WAY WAY to fast for my liking also, I did turn to buying a economical tube and watched the cheap bulbs, kick the the red/blues tubes to the curb very hard like.

So much so I bought a case of each them, 2' and 4' .

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4948/FHO-24T5865F.html these are the 2' ones I use now, and they beat the stuffins out the red/blue tubes.

Once you see tray after tray of sun flower sprouts turning their heads away from the red/blue tubes to the Plusrite bulb that is farther away, that was all I needed.

Then after using them for 5-6 years now, for 1/3rd less money, they make the red/blues worthless in my gardens.

• Like 3

I still love mine

True i miss hid

But it was either

Quit what I love

Or adapt.

I have 10 inch plants

Freezing huge by my

Standards.

Big fat dense bud, strain is important.

But I really like them.

You can see my last