•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Last grow, I used the drops to check PH. But if doing hydro I would definitely go with a meter. Drops I don't think is accurate enough.

Hamme, do you flood to waste, or do you keep using the nutes water mixture.

• Like 1

These pH and Ec meters can be obtained for 5-6 dollars each through E-bay including batteries. Some i have used for over a year and they still work.

Last grow, I used the drops to check PH. But if doing hydro I would definitely go with a meter. Drops I don't think is accurate enough.

Hamme, do you flood to waste, or do you keep using the nutes water mixture.

I do both and they work the same. When i grow drain to waste i have to prepare the nutriment every time i water the plants, but i do not have to wait for a noisy plunger-pump. And when i grow eb and flow i only have to adjust the remaining water, but every now and then the tank has to be refilled, which causes me to wait too. Naturally nutriment has to be added and the Ec and pH have to be measured. In the end drain to waste is more work and eb and flow needs more patience. If you are a beginner i would advise drain to waste and start of by watering once from the top. But, it is no problem if watering from the top is not done at all. Just tossing it in the bin to cover one or two centimeter of all pots with water is fine too. And when you get the hang of it try ebb and flow.

Guess I'm going to have to try it. Time to start brainstorming. Don't want to go buy a bunch of stuff yet (other than meters), so let's see what I've got to recycle. If I'm able to pull off some decent plants, then I'll spend the $$ to set it up all proper and shite. Besides, I want it somewhat mobile, just in case I gotta do a quick tear down of the room.

• Like 1

For nutriment you can go for Canna Flores A + B, which is dirt cheap and does the job well. If you can spend some more i would suggest Floranova (grow and bloom). Plus the meters i mentioned. And a drip tray in which the plants stand. That can be anything, long as it is watertight and high enough to raise the water level 2-3 cm. I hammered some bars against the walls from one side of the room to the other and made a tray from it about 30 cm high in which i laid pond foil. That is my drip tray which can be moved in a few minutes if needed. Black and white foil is my tent, so it is very low budget but very efficient.

• Like 1

There is no endless Ec and pH measuring, you do that once and good and than you pour the water in the bin and let the plants drink it...

This is why i like to grow the same strains from the same cuttings lots of times. It has many advantages over seed, from all perspectives.

When it comes to taste i prefer hydro overall over soil but other times they are equal. In my opinion nutriment is of more importance than medium. You toss shit in soil and who likes the taste of that?

Good to read there´s no endless measuring!

I think I will try it your way later this year, but first I have to read more of your posts. ;)

I like your way of growing and statment about clones, till 3 years I work with "my NL-Haze" clone.

Yes, I think the same about taste and nutrients.

The meters are cheap to obtain, i use this one for measuring the pH.

This meter can be calibrated!

I buy them from ebay and i suggest you buy a couple so you can double check and always have a spare.

Realy, that shitty-cheap-China ph-meter? Great I use the same! ;)

Had the chance to check it vs. a Bluelab combo-meter and I have to say the China PH meter is okay.

No real difference in measuring, Example: Bluelab 5,81 vs. China 5,9.

These pH and Ec meters can be obtained for 5-6 dollars each through E-bay including batteries. Some i have used for over a year and they still work.

If you treat it right, calibration etc. it works like you wrote.

btw.

I´am out of likes, sorry bros!

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest Weederstand, i am out of likes too, so i guess we're both likable! :mobile:

Tonight i had to water the plants, which is only the third time since i have planted them. The Amnesia Haze on coco were still heavy and could have waited a couple of days, so apparently coco retains the water longer. Some Super Skunk plants are on mapito and the rest on rfx-1 and the latter dries the quickest i have noticed.

However, i thought maybe the reader would find it interesting to take a look at how i go to work. So i took a couple of pictures of the process. First i fill up the barrel with lukewarm water. I use a barrel that is for dog food and which can carry 75 liters. Somehow it was much cheaper than a raining barrel. While the water is running i add Floranova grow and first adjust the Ec.

gallery_19153_5931_146701.jpg

gallery_19153_5931_58027.jpg

When i am adjusting the Ec i try to stay about one point lower than ideal, because afterward when adjusting the pH that will raise the Ec some more. Naturally the water is stirred efficiently otherwise the values are not trustworthy. I adjusted the Ec to 1.5 and the pH to 5.3. When i was done i measured the Ec once more.

gallery_19153_5931_198004.jpg

Almost Ec 1.6, i like it!

When that is done i put the meters away and start scooping water out of the barrel with a bucket and pour that into the drip tray.

gallery_19153_5931_75364.jpg

In case anybody wondered, it looks like this!

And i keep pouring water into the tray until the level is high enough for it to run through the holes i drilled in the sides of the crates.

gallery_19153_5931_74539.jpg

The water level is about 2 cm high and that is fine.

I use the same water for my mothers and clones too, so i only have to make it once. And that's it! Now i leave the plants alone for the next couple of days. It is so simple, even a child could do it. :showoff:

• Like 3

Interesting, so cocoa might save on watering. Like, like, like, I am out again

Find it interesting as well you find hydro more liking to your smoking pleasure, I find the opposite, seems lighter smell and taste in hydro compared to soil.

• Like 1

I've smoked pounds of both hydro and soil and overall i like hydro better, but often times equal. I don't believe medium has that much impact on taste, because like i mentioned earlier: you add poop to soil so than the weed would taste like that. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Hamme, that really is simple. How long do you keep it flooded before you drain? What size pots are you using?

I ordered a case of round 2gallon pots, I think they actually hold 1.6 gallons/6L, are those large enough?

I've read where people are flooding 2-4 times a day...you essentially water as often as we do with soil.

Now I just need to get my but to work and see if I can't get something set up. Maybe use your technique to pheno hunt the Kinky Blaze x Silver Fields I crossed. That way if I screw it up, I don't lose seeds from proven strains. And I've got plenty of KBxSF to experiment with...lol.

• Like 2

You are welcome bro and i don't drain at all at this location, i leave the water in there. The size of the pots don't matter much, long as you make sure they don't completely dry out (just lift them up). And screw up? What do you mean, if you can screw this up i might have to kick your behind! :D

• Like 2

i thought maybe the reader would find it interesting to take a look at how i go to work.

It is so simple, even a child could do it. :showoff:

Absolute, thanks for sharing your experience and pictures!

Yesterday and today i read your topics/postings about hydro.

Some questions i had were answered! :tu

Even a child? Thanks now the pressure is on me. ;)

• Like 2

Oh, trust me...I can always screw stuff up..lol

My last grow (my 1st) went so well, I am just expecting this upcoming grow to really put me through the ringer. Im hoping that I can keep it running smooth, but Murphy and his laws always seem to sneak up me.

I have one of those blue kiddie pools, that should work for a tray. I think it's like 4' diameter and 10 inches deep.

• Like 2

I like how you think Justcozz, because that is how the mind of a true hydro grower works! A kiddie pool is perfect for the job, even better than swimming in it! :)

Absolute, thanks for sharing your experience and pictures!

Yesterday and today i read your topics/postings about hydro.

Some questions i had were answered! :tu

Even a child? Thanks now the pressure is on me. ;)

You are welcome bro! And naturally it is a figure of speech that a child can do it, but this style of growing is so easy that there should be no pressure - at least not much - on the grower!

• Like 1

A friend of mine and I grew, well actually there were a few of us, comparing hydro to soil. We grew the same, then compared, we could tell a lighter taste. But course I think probably you would have to grow both yourself, because even if same breeds each grower can come out different. The smoke was good, same type high, but could tell it was a bit lighter in taste and smell. LOL I would hate to think it would taste like poo. lol Love reading your thread.

• Like 1

A friend of mine and I grew, well actually there were a few of us, comparing hydro to soil. We grew the same, then compared, we could tell a lighter taste. But course I think probably you would have to grow both yourself, because even if same breeds each grower can come out different. The smoke was good, same type high, but could tell it was a bit lighter in taste and smell. LOL I would hate to think it would taste like poo. lol Love reading your thread.

Hahaha, Doo Doo haze....man, this tastes worse than cat piss

• Like 1

Glad to read you love my thread Gardenartus, some feel quite the contrary because i have pissed off quite a few people with my visions of hydro vs soil. :D

An often heard presumption is that hydro weed tastes like shit, but if the medium is the reason for a certain taste, than it's clearly the one that involves shit, before the medium that only contains water. Another often heard argument against hydro growing is that it isn't natural, but in nature plants grow on water too and you can smell them from miles away.

There are so much prejudices about hydro growing, it is almost like a religion or race. Too much to address, but if you look passed them hydro growing has some advantages over growing on soil.

Hahaha, Doo Doo haze....man, this tastes worse than cat piss

LOL! :D

• Like 1

I"ve never really heard that, more along the lines it is easier to lose your crop, the down side of hydro. I've never really heard anyone down hydro for a nasty taste to it, just lighter. I really love the octopots, I always wanted to do hydro, but wanted the taste and smell of soil of which I prefer. When the octopot came out, for me, that was the answer, a wonderful combo of both.

• Like 4

I don't post much, but always enjoy your thread Hamme! It's the main reason I'm trying mapito and coco (again).

I think my favorite part is how well you do with 1-2 bottle(s) of nutrients and just flooding...it's a good show for folks that over complicate this hobby.

Keep it up!

• Like 4

Only a real jerk would grow killer nug hydro!!!

Just kidding. Life is over in a blink of an eye and nothing actually matters. I love this thread and how well you grow.

And for the record I grow acres of organic veggies in soil. So basically I'm the king of soil, and I will allow your hydro games...for now.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys and gal(s) i appreciate it!

As quick as twenty-four hours after the watering, the floor was already bone dry.

gallery_19153_5931_15497.jpg

gallery_19153_5931_76638.jpg

gallery_19153_5931_32706.jpg

Some plants look green under hps light, but if you use flash light when they sleep, it shows their true colors. ;)

• Like 4

On my other location i have about fifty Super Skunk clones that i previously grew too. The cuttings were totally fucked up when i started out, so i waited with pictures until they recovered a bit.

They are going into the second week of flowering.

gallery_19153_5931_88691.jpg

gallery_19153_5931_210799.jpg

gallery_19153_5931_80393.jpg

gallery_19153_5931_120018.jpg

They are sleeping.

Perhaps two or three won't make it, but that isn't much of an issue. For nutriment i use GHE grow only and pH minus to adjust the pH. Just like on my other location, except here ebb and flow instead of drain to waste. I lift up a few crates and if they are light i water again and no sooner.

• Like 3

Damn, just when we thought you were getting started, you throw another grow at us...sweet Hamme

• Like 1

On the last picture you can see four cuttings that have not recovered. Two weeks ago they all looked like that and far worse.

I was hesitant to share before knowing they'd make it, brova, because we never show our dirty laundry in public! :D

• Like 3

They looking nice and lush :). Full colour. The skunks will be monsters with so many arms/branches

• Like 1

Nothing wrong will showing a few ooops now and then. Let's people like me know it's normal.

• Like 1