•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

sannie

New strains / Restocking seeds

Nice Sannie. I am glad to hear that you have some succes with seedmaking.

Keep up the good work:tu

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 5:38 AM, sannie said:

The Kolossus regular seeds failed so we have to start over again soon.

Thank you, will wait for the regs :)

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indicalicious said:

Thank you, will wait for the regs :)

Keep up the good work!

Same here

• Like 1

By the way, I was wondering whether the K.O. Kush is coming back? And if not, why?

• Like 3

sorry if.this is a repost, new phone and I'm a ludite. i just dug these seeds.up out of the freezer, but wouldn't expect better than a 20-30% germ rate. patiently waiting for sannie to get back up to speed

20180830_195809.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i just defrosted my downstairs freezer and found a bunch of jack and more sugar punch as well that i forgot.to.include. been doing business with sannie for.10 plus years and there's noboby i trust more in the industry. but i do need to rotate stock! so many seeds,.so.little time to grow them!

• Like 2

that's about half of what i have, seriously. hope you get yhe idea, i could be trying to grow those last 10 black widows (20% germ rate?), yellow pack ssh's or DJs F-13s (30%? germ), etc. but , no, using my california 6 for sannie's wares lol

• Like 1

Very nice collection. How long do you have the seeds before you put them in the freezer? If they've been frozen for ~10 years you still should be getting good germ rates. I've heard of people still getting success rates in the 90s using 25+ year old seeds that were properly stored away from light or oxygen. I vacuum seal my seeds with a moisture absorber pack inside and wrap it in black plastic that light can't get through. In a regular ziploc baggie or just in the breeder pack in the freezer I'd imagine could possibly do some damage.

Fingers crossed that you get all your nice babies to pop with a high germ rate. You got some gems in there!

• Like 2

Yeah, looks like you might be able to keep busy while waiting on Sannie... :lol: Nice collection. 

peace

mrG

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 12:53 AM, lumatekfan said:

By the way, I was wondering whether the K.O. Kush is coming back? And if not, why?

it will, however its not priority (im dying to run them again) :book:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cinderella99 said:

sorry if.this is a repost, new phone and I'm a ludite. i just dug these seeds.up out of the freezer, but wouldn't expect better than a 20-30% germ rate. patiently waiting for sannie to get back up to speed

20180830_195809.jpg

Nice collection!    

Not to tell you your business, but why do you keep seeds in the freezer?   I did a ton of reading on this some time ago, as folks always used to freeze both their pot, and their seeds.  In a nutshell, anything frozen is going to shrink, and expand, and will also develop condensation, drastically reducing germination rates.  I DO freeze pollen, in a film canister, inside a jar of oven dried rice, then vacuum packed, inside the very coldest part of the freezer, and keeps for months.  Seeds stored well should keep for years with minimal loss of germ rates.  

I keep all my seeds in a qt vacuum packed ball jar, in a bottom drawer, that stays in the 60-65 degree range, ideal would be in the 50's.  I usually get 80% germ rates, even on 7-8 year old seeds.  Got a few in there from 10 years ago.   

If you're only getting 20-30%, you might want to revisit this.  Not sure others will agree with me, as I've seen tons of people freezing seeds.  I've worked too hard making my own seeds to have them crap out on me.

Hope they all pop for you!!    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've always tended to agree with your type method DD and never froze any seeds in fear of just those issues you describe. I've always been surprised at popping old seeds, too. I'm not anal but keep them dry and in a stable place where temps don't have huge swings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

I've always tended to agree with your type method DD and never froze any seeds in fear of just those issues you describe. I've always been surprised at popping old seeds, too. I'm not anal but keep them dry and in a stable place where temps don't have huge swings.

They are just like cigars and tobacco curing.  It’s stability of temp and humidity that matters.  In theory, seeds could be kept almost indefinitely, but then were probably getting into cryogenics, lol.  

The expanding and contracting in humidors cracks the outer cigar wrappers, same with seeds.   And no one would ever think of freezing their Cohibas to keep them fresh!   

• Like 6

If stored properly away from light seeds will last decades frozen. They have to be protected from everything that makes them lose viability though. If stored in the freezer in clear bags with no oxygen absorber not vac sealed, the viability is going to go way down.  Here's a quote from the wiki page of the Svalbard seed vault on how they store and freeze all types of seeds:

"The seeds are stored in sealed three-ply foil packages, then placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are kept at −18 °C (−0.4 °F). The low temperature and limited access to oxygen will ensure low metabolic activity and delay seed aging. The permafrost surrounding the facility will help maintain the low temperature of the seeds if the electricity supply fails. "

I can almost guarantee they store hemp varieties there since it's such an important crop to humanity.

The problem with home freezers is the humidity fluctuates like crazy. When you open the door the air can go from very dry to really humid in seconds. If the seeds aren't properly protected then moisture can easily get inside and ruin your viability. While I do agree that most published sources do say to never freeze seeds, I personally am not of the view that freezing will kill your germination rates. I have  asked a few reputable sources and that was enough to change my opinion on the subject even though I'd read the opposite my whole life. Vac sealed mylar is your best bet (with oxygen absorber). The colder the temp the better. 

Older seeds tend to have a harder shell and can be a pain in the ass to crack and might need some more doctoring than some that are fresh. I've seen people germ 20+ year old frozen seeds with over 90% germ rate. It's moisture that ruins the viability if improperly frozen.

If I were a seed company out to make lots of money I wouldn't want anyone to know that they can hold onto their genes for much longer than they think. Cannabis did evolve through and survive the ice age. I really don't seen why it's seeds would be any different than the vast majority of the other crop genes stored at Svalbard.

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind words, all. Neo and DD: What you say about freezer storage methods is spot on. Historically, over the last 20-25 years, my usual routine is to make them as air tight, moisture free as possible and freeze them, avoiding any thaws like the demon. I'm ashamed to say that my freezer storage methods over the last 10 years have really been sloppy. For example, in early 2000 when I purchased various strains from Sensi, Heaven's Stairway, Marc Emory, etc., I was much more diligent about storing in glass vials, constant temperature etc. I had a deep freezer that used to maintain temperatures a lot more accurately than the current refrigerator freezer I use.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I now am using plastic, buckets, plastic bags  etc with the occasional desiccants  just because I've grown lazy and less diligent over time. In fact, I tried to pull out one of the two 2.5 gallon storage buckets I've been using last 10 years or so to take a Sannie inventory the other night and it cracked because it was frozen to the wall of the refrigerator freezer with actual snowpack. Shameful, I know. It was during the process of chiseling the ice and snowpack off the walls, that I took that picture. About 11 or 12 years ago, I was able to germ 10/10 C99 seeds because they had been frozen in a glass vile, stable temperature in my deepfreezer for several years. Now, sadly, I'd anticipate my germ rates to be far worse because of my inferior storage methods. Which begs the question: These damn things need to be grown out!

ya, i had a deepfreezer fail on me about 10 years ago. i got back from Martha's Vinyard after a 3 week vacation in the height of the socal summer heat to find most of.my stock, including thousands of C99 F2s swimming in marinated, fermented garbage. seeds were all in a plastic bucket, but i think the thaw and sitting in what had turned into a hotbox for a week or 2 may have killed much of.my previous stock like original haze circa 1998, BCSC NL#5, etc. I know my C99 F2s won't germ. it was tragic. life goes on. here's a pic of my last grow. i reached into a (plastic) sack of.tres star dog x mob boss F2s i made about 5 years ago and sprouted 7 seeds. all 4 females flowered under a 360 conversion. i'll use a 1k for my 6 sp's in about 4 weeks when I'm sure there'll be no more heat waves.

20180901_205531.jpg

• Like 1

Neo, DD, wish a couple of.you lived down the street from me so we could pool our resources and collectively take advantage of the new legal environment. With a limitation of 6 and limited time i have, it would take me 1000 years to grow.the seeds i have out and they won't be viable for that long. I did discover about 20 more SP seeds prolly from an earlier release, but this is one strain, among many that Sannie has, that are worth rotating and keeping freshest stock possible. so I'm hopefully and eagerly watching as he creates the new SP batch

My philosophy, after collecting the finest seeds i can over the last 25 years, is that as.long as you have a trustworthy, depndable fellow like Sannie breeding quality seeds at a very reasonable price, why not.rotate the stock every opportunity? take as few chances as you have to. imo, if i can be guaranteed the freshest product with maybe a 20% higher germ rate, it's worth the 40 bucks a pack just to be sure and support a good.cat like him lol

• Like 1

not to belabor the point here, but in my experience, storage techniques memtiomed are the best available, but over 20 years, my reality is, unless you live in a lab envirnoment, you're going to have deepfreezers that shit the bed, refrigerator freezers that need defrosting, power outagees, etc, so keeping current stock is always best. not to mention that certain vintages, or batches, are better than others sometimes. definitely good to preserve the seed as.long as possible, but good.to rotate stock as well while it's affordable imo

• Like 2