•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Gardener

A Continuous Evolutionary Grow

Have you ever looked into hydro, or something like I use, the Octopot? Those you can make yourself, it doubled my yields easily.

• Like 1

I looked into the Octopot.  You and Saxo, I believe, are the enthusiasts who introduced me to the concept.  I don't want to go that route until i figure out some things with soil growing.  Plus, i have bunch of worms.  Do worm castings work with the Octopot?

• Like 1

The way I see it, here is the order of importance for ultimately better yields, if growing organic soil:

Genetics

Light

Rootball size (goes hand in hand with veg-time, up until you fill your container)

Environment (temp, then airflow, then humidity)

Feeding/wateringschedule

I dunno, re-reading my list I feel like I’m just pulling it outta my ass. I am against too much training, unless you are limited by space in any direction. Training, pruning hard, the plant stalls a bit. If you have time you can let it recover. But if you’re vegging an extra month to get a shape, you couple probably yield more over the course of the year with one extra grow instead of one less, but longer grows. Low stress training can help yields, but I’m not sure if mainlining is that low stress... prune hard before flower, give a week for recovery, and then let ‘er rip.

Fan leaves are the factories that help the bud grow, but I know this is a contentious topic.

• Like 2

Here is some good info on it

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0244/7093/files/Octopot_Instruction_Page_New_Aug_2013.pdf

Worm castings, I would think so, it has a top part of soil, the base holds the water, wicking system. Taste and smell of soil, with growth of hydro. Seriously can't think of anything better then that :)

Now I am reading that, says cuts nutes in half, for some reason I don't. Others have complained of Tomato Food being too hot, most times when I recommend, I do hand in hand, so those might be using octopot with Texas tomato food and why they are finding that to be hot.

• Like 1

My hunch is you don't give them enough water. Perhaps you may try a hydro grow like Queen B advised. It makes watering that much easier and gives you lots of insight.I have had disappointing yields too so i know the feeling. Good luck!

• Like 1

Back on May 28th I clipped the tips of the branches on Blackjack, the last step in creating a manifold.  Starting today she stays in the flowering tent until harvest.  Each day i took photos as the growth buds turned into branches.

Day 1

day1.jpg

Second and third node, day 1

day1_branchtip.jpg

First node, day 1

day1_firstnode.jpg

Day 2

day2.jpg

Day3

day3.jpg

Day 4

day4.jpg

Day 5

day5.jpg

day5_branchtips.jpg

Day 6, needs water

day6.jpg

Day 7.  Some leaves on two branches got burned by touching flourescent bulbs

day7.jpg

Blackjack,.  A cannabis mohawk.

day7outside1.jpg

day7stem.jpg

day7stem2.jpg

day7stem3.jpg

day7sten.jpg

day7sten2.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 3:19 AM, Hamme Hydro said:

My hunch is you don't give them enough water. Perhaps you may try a hydro grow like Queen B advised. It makes watering that much easier and gives you lots of insight.I have had disappointing yields too so i know the feeling. Good luck!

I may eventually try a hydro grow.  I have enough coco coir to do a hydro grow on the cheap.  But that will wait for the time being.  While my recent yields have been low, some of it i am blaming plant training.  Some of it has to be due to all the different things i have been trying, in terms of feeding.  White Widow is at day 26 of flowering.  She'll be okay.  She will yield.  But i started getting smarter after harming White Widow.  But i am thrilled with the plants grown since then.

• Like 4

That happens to me, sometimes when trying new things, or new breeds, I get real low yields, You're probably on the right thinking there, just changing things up and you aren't doing your normal. You'll be back :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gardener said:

I may eventually try a hydro grow.  I have enough coco coir to do a hydro grow on the cheap.  But that will wait for the time being.  While my recent yields have been low, some of it i am blaming plant training.  Some of it has to be due to all the different things i have been trying, in terms of feeding.  White Widow is at day 26 of flowering.  She'll be okay.  She will yield.  But i started getting smarter after harming White Widow.  But i am thrilled with the plants grown since then.

Call me stubborn - i wouldn't blame ya - but i seriously doubt a lack of growth is due to messing up nutriment or bad training. When rock-wool is your medium of choice you will have a clear view on how much water the plants really need because when the medium is saturated the rest drips out. And the plants can handle way more water then i expected. I know now that i dried my plants out when growing on soil.

• Like 2

Yesterday i took down Cannatonic.  Not the best photos.  But i like some of the hues she took on near the end of flowering.  I'll have to wait at least a few days before i can give her a try.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18b6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18b5.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18b4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18b3.jpg

• Like 5

Cannatonic puts out a ghostly look :) 5b19bb0006e99_canna4falllooking.jpg.16445d5aa84bd9102d1385e1f1eea490.jpg

How she smelling>? This one of mine oh whoa, what a beautiful smell, but it makes me puke till dry! ha! funny, one of my favs, and she makes me puke lol

• Like 3

Damn girl, those are some serious buds there. I also see the ghosts...lol 

Gardener, those are some nice looking plants also. 

Both of you are bud growing fools...:dribble:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gardenartus said:

How she smelling>? This one of mine oh whoa, what a beautiful smell, but it makes me puke till dry! ha! funny, one of my favs, and she makes me puke lol

I just smelled the buds.  Still moist.  There is a complex herby smell.  Something like pine.

A few weeks ago i was trimming some fan leaves from the flowers and eating them.  They tasted like berries.  A few days later i tried one again, just to see if i was imagining it.  Nope.  The leaves tasted like berries.  I'm sorry yours makes you puke.  :)

• Like 2

LOL Me too, she is such a nice plant isn't she, that is cool it taste like berry! I would eat it and try if it didnt' make me puke lol I love the colors you picked up on yours.

• Like 1

Hey Gardener, I would say with the serious type of training you have been doing is just adding on to the veg time, which is no big deal if you plan for that. Some plants seem to never miss a beat after some sort of LST or topping but others can take as much as a week to recover, ime. So, Every time you do a new serious addition, it could be adding another week to get caught back up. I think if you allowed for that and had a large enough pot and light, your training would really create a beast. The technique is fine, but it'll slow your calendar down,  imo. 

I'd love to see one of your creations done in a slower methodical vegging stage to really allow the plant to adjust and be ready to produce beasty buds. Problem for most is, the cost of electricity goes up.That wasn't an issue so much back in the 70's and 80's..... I think..????

Cannatonic looks awesome. My CBD Kush came out similar in color and bud shape.

peace

mrG

• Like 2

Forgetting everything else, props to you for the well trained plants. They look pretty and organized, like a well landscaped yard :) I second what Mr GF says

• Like 1

Damar, Mr. G, 

It could be that.  I have been suspecting the plant training simply because the methods i was using before -- topping and growing out six branches -- limits the plant's size, and therefore yield.  When i spread those six branches out, there is a lot of light being wasted.  I don't get a full canopy.  I have a couple of plants both started a little over three weeks ago, Strawberry Kush and AK 47.  I am thinking of just growing these out without any cutting.  Tie them down if they become unruly.  I have grown them before.  The shouldn't.  They both tend to mind their height pretty well.  But, the strawberry kush this time looks like a different pheno from last time.  The leaves are a bit different.  This plant seems to be taller.

I am also feeding more water.  I think Hamme Hydro is right about that.  Last year i was feeding more water.  It would sometimes leak from the bottom of the container.  I have been feeding less, because i didn't want to wash the soil out of the pot.  I switched to grow bags, or smart pots, with trays to catch liquid that would run off.  I don't want too much water sitting at the bottom.  But some is probably better for the plant.  The smart pots are easier to handle, over all.  Shorter and wider.

Along with changes to feeding, I think things will turn around after White Widow finishes.  She is the last plant that I trained the old way, before switching to the manifold.  The manifolded plants look awesome.  Thick, lush, green, and big.  Blackberry is at day 9 of flowering.  So, about 46 more days.  Check back around July 24th for harvest.  Wait a week or two for a report on the dry yield.  (I have also switched to drying bud on the branch.  I stopped trimming too much.  Dispensaries push well-trimmed bud.  But i don't need the extra work.  They are fine with sugar leaves.)

• Like 3

On 5/30/2018 at 9:45 PM, Gardener said:

... But i would be surprised if there were more than 12 grams or 14 grams on these branches....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1887.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1898.jpg

A minor surprise.  I got 17 grams from Mad Berry.  

• Like 3

Nice. I had one plant that may not have brought that... I think mine was the bulb, for sure. I'll know soon since I bought a couple but it's so hot and I need an electricity vacation, heh. 

Let us know what you think of the Madberry. I hear nothing but good stuff. I'd really like to own all of Sannies strains, or at least half. They all seem to be classic type strains with continued interest which is a great testament to the quality. 

Enjoy!

peace

mrG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gardener said:

A minor surprise.  I got 17 grams from Mad Berry.  

Gardener beats on harvest earnings Q1 2018, Madberry share price soars

• Like 4