•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sudden

Planted 22 Suger Punch, only 16 came through... Help

Hey Guys

So I put 22 Sugar Punch into a cup of water, Along with 11 Aztec Rain in another cup.

All 11 Aztec Rain seeds showed a root around 2mm in length, and when put into soil came out the husk and lifted fine.

However with the Sugar punch 6 have problems, 3 of the seeds never showed a root in the water(and still have fully closed husk 10 days later), and the other 3 after being planted have problems - 2 are in the same state I put them(little root out of husk), and 1 has grown up but the husk is fully covering the top(I have learnt from the past if the husk is still quite attached not to force it off, because often you rip the undeveloped baby leaves off)

Is it perhaps my germination method?

I leave in a cup of water in a dark place at room temp, until a root of about 2-4mm shows from the husk?

I have seen some let the root develop to around 1cm in paper towels and then plant - perhaps I should try this...

• Like 1

I would only leave them in the cup till tap root shows if there's h2o2 in water

If just plain tap , I only soak for 12 ish hours, then into towels

• Like 4

I have sausage fingers and I only broke one or two at the start till I learnt my tecknik , the husk is easy , it's the skin that's left behind is hard to remove if dried on to seedling , so spray before hand to moisten it . I use a needle or pin : )

• Like 4

The technique recommended by ifish is sound. The only change I make is using a pair of round toothpicks. They are less likely to damage the delicate leaves than a single needle or pin. ;)

• Like 4

Paper towels, man, paper towels!! Seeds die because they are too wet, or too dry, everything else is fluff, IMO. Seeds only need moisture and warmth to germinate.

I've been around the world on germination, and the ONLY method I've never had an issue with is what we did in 1970, put a paper towel on a plate, wet it, put your seeds on top, fold it over, and wet it again, put a bowl on top of it so it's dark, and set the plate on top of your cable box, or stereo receiver. Spray with water ONCE a day till they sprout. I like Rapid Rooter plugs, too, but even those aren't as dependable as the paper towel method. I like dipping my sprouts in Great White before putting in Solo cups, too, seems to work well.

Being said, 16 out of 22 is 72% germination rate, not terrible, but not great, and it does happen from time to time. Sannie's Jack seeds seem very slow to germ, and I've had them take up to 7 days, but most WILL germ eventually. If you're just putting them in water and leaving them, they are drowning, which is the biggest reason seeds fail. Water holds oxygen, and when it just sits, the oxygen gets depleted, which is why fish die without an air stone in their tank. I see lots of folks soaking seeds overnight before planting in their medium. On a warm cable box, the paper towel is usually almost dry in 24 hours, but spraying fresh TAP water (anything else is a waste of time, the chlorine in tap water keeps any fungus or bad bacteria at bay) adds fresh oxygenated water to the paper towels.

Good luck to you, if you've got 16 Sugar Punch, that's still a lot of great weed on deck!! Actually, I run Silver Fields instead of Sugar Punch, because it's not feminized, and I can make my own seeds. I believe in always having enough seeds you don't give a rip if a few don't pop.

Peace.

• Like 7

Fully agree with dd381

I've tried many ways but this method works

Peace

• Like 2

Paper towel method works best. I just soak a length of paper towel, fold a few times put the seed(s) in the center and fold again. I then put this in a large ziplock bag and then put the whole thing on a heat mat. I have found it doesn't have to be dark.

This method cracks seeds quick. So quick, I check the seeds after 10-12 hours because I don't want the taproot getting too big before I can get it into soil. You can still have issues with the seeds outer shell getting stuck/fused like you had though. Still I find with a quick and healthy germination that is less likely to be an issue.

I also found that sugar punch is susceptible to burn and rot when it first germinates. I only used coco coir and perlite for the for couples of weeks.

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sadly an additional 2 of those 16 sugar punch which sprouted are not looking good - they are looking deformed(very crinkled leafs and very elongated), so I don't know if they will last either...

its a problem as I needed 20 sugar punch... So this teaches a lesson that always germinate 5-10 more in future, because now I am going to be stuck with around 15 or so 2 weeks ahead of the other 5 I must now germinate(going to have to resort to more Aztec Rain as I ran out fully of Sugar Punch)

I think I am going to try what you guys suggested, Paper towels from now onwards.

• Like 1

You can always take clones of the Sp they'll take 2 weeks to root then the will be some what closer to the age of the seedlings

Good luck

Paps

• Like 3

Bummer about the other two. Keep treating them right maybe they can pull through? I've cloned the first branch a seedling made with success. So Pap's idea is maybe useful to you.

Still with that many sugar punch seeds you probably see all she has to offer(which is a lot). :yummy:

• Like 1

I thought to give an update here as I dont want to give bad credit to the seeds...

Good news, in the end all the Sugar Punch pulled through and now they are looking much better, sadly though 3 of the Aztec Rain look very poor... They have leaves which look like root rot below, I have tried letting them dry out twice, and then watering only a little, but they still suffering...

Dont know what to do about those Aztec Rains...

• Like 2

too much watery love maybe? wat size pots are they in?

if they in small pots, pot them up to a slightly larger pot but dont water in right away, the new soil should absorb some of the dampness away from the rootball, maybe ;)

wot soil they in?

ifish, the leafs look like this - (not my image, but plants look exactly like this

yellow-leaves-root-problems-from-heat-sm.jpg

root-problems-coco-coir-sm.jpg

.:V:. They are in 1Liter pots, I will try your idea V and put into 5 L pots w/o watering for a few days. maybe they will correct themselves.

The soil they was in was John Innes Seed Sowing - when the problem started, then I moved them into my 30/30/30 EWC, pelite, Peat mix.

But the problem didnt correct itself.

The John Innes seed compost is terrible imo, water cant penetrate it very well... Im surprised I didnt end up with more like it.

Hi bro

Looks like over watering pic #1

Pic #2 looks like either your soil is too hot or you have a heavy hand with the fertilizer

I would transplant up to 5 L ( fully agree with above post

Use different soil ( light mix and perallite in the soil ( looks like what happened to me when I transplanted seedlings into supper soil )

Good luck

• Like 1

Ok, I just noticed this thread and I have some input. This is written from the perspective of a vegetative stage and not straight to flower. I do not easily recommend flowering straight.

The water in the cup is good. It is what I recommend for older seeds. A we bit of H202 helps too but is not necessary. However, you did some things I do not recommend.

1. Do not keep in water too long, you risk rot. After 24 hours to 2 days I would remove and plant, even if not sprouting.
  2. Older seeds - change water after 2 days if not sprouted and go another 2 days then plant even if not sprouting.
  3. Don't worry if some seeds fall to bottom, while they may not sprout in cup they can sprout once planted.
  4. Ensure that water is room temperature before putting in seeds.
  5. Some seeds just seem to like water and others seem to like it drier.

Paper towel method is very similar. However, I dislike the paper towel method as it can be easier to harm the young roots but I shake (kinda rare now) a bit sometimes so maybe more me than for others on that.

Now regarding your description of the seeds that come up looking twisted. This is too hot a soil. Nitrogen specifically.

• With sprouts, think baby, like a human baby.
  • They only need food once their first little leaves yellow.
  • Then like babies they do not need much food.
  • Initially use a light mix with little to no fertilizer (a sprinkle of worm castings in seedling hole is sufficient for biology and to help the plant start). If going organic once seedlings use up their first leaves you can add some more worm castings mixed. (I could give more advanced advice but this might not be helpful for you at this time so I advise safely.) Later learn about the reasons why you would want more P and K initially but also learn that this can cause flowering if not altered by the time it enters vegetative growth and leaves the rooting stage. Some here may not know or appreciate that.
  • Once they root and ready to transplant you would transplant into media friendly with vegetative period higher N, than P and K.
  • Later a week before flip I recommend transplanting into a flowering soil or giving flowering inputs but always go weak and slowly build up.

People tend to say less is more. I prefer to say more is death! When learning, I recommend you keep to the hungry side of input as it is easier to work with hungry plants than damaged and hurt ones.

Keep records and use those records later to better tune what you do.

I wholly agree with papalag as well.

Best of luck and I do not have much hope for your plants. Repot immediately (dont flush to try to fix). If you have other seeds, I would start and then use what is looking best from both workings. The time for them to come back will be similar to starting new again and due to such stress at young age it will have a greater affect than if they were stressed when older. With that said, I have seen similar, get healthy and be very good plants.

Jah Bless!

~Hempyfan

• Like 3

Hi sudden

It would be easier to start over like hempy said

2 things I always did wrong was over water and over feed

Just my 2 cents

But if you were to start over

Fight the urge to play with your plants

Let them tell you when to water , when to feed ect ....

I should talk I killed a few plants in my day

Peace

Papalag

i always use either small rockwool cubes of Coir pellets, rockwool i soak in water for 24 hours then put the seeds in and scrape the rockwool over the top, i never squeeze the cubes to let out any water as i find these dry to quick if the seeds take longer than 5 days to germ, with the pellets i soak for about 10 mins in warm water this helps them absorb the water quicker i will squeeze them a little so there not water logged pop in the seeds and scrape the coir over the hole, then they go stright into a propagator with a 13w CFL directly on top of the lid on 24hrs once the cotyledon open out i put them into there veg, i know people say seeds dont need to be placed into a propagator but i have had more succsess around 99% since using this method so thats what i always do,

• Like 1

i always use either small rockwool cubes of Coir pellets, rockwool i soak in water for 24 hours then put the seeds in and scrape the rockwool over the top, i never squeeze the cubes to let out any water as i find these dry to quick if the seeds take longer than 5 days to germ, with the pellets i soak for about 10 mins in warm water this helps them absorb the water quicker i will squeeze them a little so there not water logged pop in the seeds and scrape the coir over the hole, then they go stright into a propagator with a 13w CFL directly on top of the lid on 24hrs once the cotyledon open out i put them into there veg, i know people say seeds dont need to be placed into a propagator but i have had more succsess around 99% since using this method so thats what i always do,

You are right not to squeeze the rockwool as it can crush it and cause water logging problems.

• Like 1

I too use rock-wool cubes and prefer it over most of the methods i tried. How i go to work is as follows: first i plant the seeds in the dry cubes and than i poor some lukewarm tap water in the tray until i see the cubes getting wet from head to toe. I never soak the cubes completely to prevent algae growth on the top layer.

• Like 1

You are right not to squeeze the rockwool as it can crush it and cause water logging problems.

Thanks Hempyfan

• Like 1