•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Sudden

Twisted, Curled, Wrinkly Leaves on my seedlings

Hey guys.

Around 6 of my seedlings are now showing deformed leaves(Twisted, Curled, Wrinkly, poor symmetry)

What can be the cause of this?

Some are also curling upwards on themselves...

The color of the leaves is a nice consistent dark green, the room temp is normal.

I am using John Innes Seed Sowing Compost

150015A.jpg

yep soz i did mean nutes....dark green, curling...could be too much N? maybe :o

• Like 1

I'm gonna roll the dice and go for , slight over watering which is compounded with the compacting of the soil , think that soil is maybe heavey and sandy , I tried something similar a while back and didn't like it . Now I mix it with good stuff to bring the ec down at the start

Canna seed mix is better , but more expensive

• Like 3

Westland John Innes Seed Sowing Compost 10 litre is perfect for bringing seeds to life. Ideal for fast, healthy seed germination, this compost has a fine texture for seed sowing, and helps retain moisture around the seed. quote from net.

Dense and wet. ;)

• Like 1

Half of my seedlings had that as well. They sprouted well in root riot cubes with nothing, but when i put them in my organic mix in plastic cups some had gnarled leaves. They all grew out of it. I would say some are more nute sensitive than others at this stage.

• Like 2

Thought to update this thread.

The issue I think was what ifish said... Drainage issues or parts of the soil not getting wet or overwet and compacted.

Along with them being to close to the lights.

• Like 1

@sudden , try the canna seed mix , expensive but you will see a big difference in quality ( Amazon )

@sudden , try the canna seed mix , expensive but you will see a big difference in quality ( Amazon )

Hi, I am trying to build everything from scratch for repeatable results.

Next time I will probably mix 50% EWC w/ 50% peat for my seedlings, or something similar.

I want to simplify things, and also using ingredients I have around for the other stages of soil means less cost/effort.

The John Innes Seed Sowing compost is really bad stuff, it has big chunks of plastic in it, its quite sandy, and it compacts together too much, its really terrible to sell it as a seed sowing mix...

I actually gave my remaining bags away

• Like 1

A seed starting mix should not be able to feed a plant for 3 months. Those who make that product I do not think grow plants.

First impression I have is the seed starter is bad.

Here is what you want.

• High drainage medium for seed starting.
  • You only need a pinch of worm castings to your starter hole. (add more worm castings and correct compost to the media you will transplant into and a handful on top of the media around the plant after transplant.)
  • Peat is fine but in seed starting but I prefer coco but I know others who see it opposite as me. (for me, I had worse rates with peat seed starters than coco ones)
  • Add perlite or some type of acceptable growing friendly rocks to help with drainage. (rice hulls work great for those against perlite)
  • Once sprouts up water from below to ensure roots grow down.
  • Ensure not to over watered and dont let dry out.

Basically, think light and airy. We want air at the roots (simply water correct and light mix media) for a variety of reasons.

They can also be mutants.  But given so many are doing it I doubt it. 

Believe it or not, these two are siblings in the same organic mix:

mutant.png

sibling.png