•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Thanks everyone.  :tu

Always nice to grow such great genetics, they make one look good. :)

• Like 1

Hey all, it's been a bit so thought I should catch you up.

I have only Phuuu's IPA going atm so I haven't been too concerned with updates. You all have seen plenty of IPA's by now. I pulled the 3 elder IPA's yesterday and will chop them in a couple three days. I have an outdoor project going so trying to wait for a rainy day to chop. That leaves the 3 IPA clones in the flower room going on 4 weeks and 2 cuts from #3 in the veg area.

I am going to do some upgrades in the grow room soon. Everything is ordered up so just waiting for it to arrive. I got a 750 watt ballast and bulb to replace my 600 watt unit. This will fill and penetrate my 5'x5' space better. I also got another 300 watt led to go in the veg area.

I'll get some pics up after I install the new stuff.

That's it for now. I'll post some post harvest pics of the IPA in a few days...cya then. :)

• Like 4

Happy October, rain and cold are on the menu today so since I'm stuck inside I'll take some time to get an update posted.

I chopped the 3 Phuuu's IPA girls last week and broke out the dry ice box so they would not stink up my entire house. IPA's are exceptionally stinky, to the point my wife complains her eyes burn when I chop it. I do not notice it so much but she is not a fan so the ice box is the answer. Not to be confused with dry ice hash making, I use dry ice to quicken the drying process when I have a large amount of bud. Done properly, this method takes freshly chopped bud, pulls the moisture out of it and allows perfectly dried buds to be jarred within 48-60 hours depending on ambient temp and RH. That is much faster than the week to 10 days they would take to air dry and my better half is happy. :)

Here's some pics of the dried bud showing the #2 and #5 bud phenos that I got.

IPA - 2 phenos - dried bud.jpg

#5 pheno

IPA - #5 pheno - dried bud.jpg

IPA - #5 pheno - dried bud - up close.jpg

#2 pheno

IPA - #2 pheno - dried bud.jpg

IPA - #2 pheno - dried bud - up close.jpg

The IPA's I am growing currently are fem versions of the #2 IPA x #5 IPA. Those who have followed my IPA adventures know that the #2 is larger and has rounded top buds that are chunky in appearance. They shoot out calyx fingers in their last couple of weeks.

The #5's on the other hand are shorter, have pointy topped buds that have a smoother appearance and are a bit frostier than the #2.

This is the first time I have grown these and the result shows the #5 had a definite impact on this cross. They were all shorter than the average #2, 2 of them showed #2 type bud structure while the 3rd was like #5's. I'm still air drying the couple of branches that I turned with silver water and hope to get some pollen from them soon. 

In other news I've made some upgrades in the grow room. It was time to get a new HPS bulb and while looking them over I decided it was time to move up to 750 watts from the 600 watt I've been using. I found a Phantom 750 ballast and GE 750 watt bulb for a decent price so I jumped on it. Let's see what a difference a 25% increase in light makes in my little space.

While I was in the upgrade mood I got another 300 watt (135 actual) led light to go with the one I had in the veg area.

Phantom 750 watt ballast.jpg

DSCN1485.JPG

So far the girls seem to like all that light at 5 weeks in.

flower room 10-3-19.jpg

Phuuus IPA #3 clone @ 5 weeks - top shot.jpg

Phuuus IPA #3 clone @ 5 weeks - top shot - up close.jpg

:D

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by, cya next time. :wave:

• Like 13

A pleasure as always!

• Like 2

Hell yeah, very nice Beach. I just love the looks of that IPA. We get our first cold nights in a week. First frost unless things change. Not ready for it to be truthful, heh. peace

• Like 2

Great job Beach....frosty goodness :tu

• Like 3

Hey thanks everyone :tu

I just tried a bit of Blue Magoo, the blue pheno I have. It has been in the jar for 5 weeks and almost ready to vacuum pack. Very nice flavor and a wonderful high. I sampled the green pheno a couple days ago. It has a stronger more hash like taste and is perhaps a bit stonier. I still like the blue's flavor better, very smooth, kinda creamy.

I'm really curious about the Blue Magoo x Poisoned Choco that I made with the blue pheno. I may have to crack some of those sooner than later. Stay tuned. :D

• Like 5

Very nice to hear. I have that one Goji x Blue Magoo going and it has a very nice smell and is bulking up nicely. I'm really interested in doing more with it and the BM I have. This one got pollinated late so, although I'm a little bummed for the sake of the smoke, I'm sort of glad to have some seeds to play with. I dusted a couple of buds with the brother so I hope I get those, too. I may have to go and steal a bud to dry and smoke. It has to come down or inside by Wednesday as our first freeze is upon us. Three straight days and one hard freeze night.. peace

edit: 

Here's the Goji x Blue Magoo this morning. Getting mostly cloudy trichs now...

IMG_4204.thumb.jpg.d981cc70603b699210739c1f6ef6b8f5.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Opengrow peeps, hope you are having a nice Sunday afternoon. I'm sitting around watching football and thought I should post a little update since it has been awhile.

We've been having a great fall here until this last week. Two straight weeks of sunshine to end October and mostly dry weather since. This means I have been busy with outdoor chores and not keeping up with my grow log duties. Apologies.

I haven't been too concerned with keeping up since IPA's were all that was going on and you all have seen plenty of them already. Now however I have some new stuff coming up that may interest you more.

A local friend gifted me some Purple Hindu Kush seeds recently. He has been growing them outdoors locally for a number of years. I've smoked some and it is really nice. It has a wonderful hash/coffee/lavender taste and a quick hitting relaxing high that has good legs. I dropped 3 seeds, 1 was a mutant so two remain. Here's hoping one is female.

I also started a couple of Truck (train wreck x huck kush) seeds. I've been out of this one for awhile and I decided it has been long enough. I just up-potted them to #2 pots yesterday.

If I'm lucky enough to get a girl from each I will take some clones and grow a few of each. Fingers crossed.

Here's a look at the veg area. The PHK are on the left, Truck on the right.

Vegging Purple Hindu Kush and Truck youngsters.jpg

Purple Hindu Kush left side and Truck right side.jpg

In the flower room I have the last 2 Phuuu's IPA #3 clones. I've been able to build up my IPA stash to the point that I can grow some other stuff for 5 or 6 months which is good cause I have a bunch of stuff I really want to get to.

After the PHK and Truck I want to start some Green Ale regulars and make more seeds of it. I really miss that one and hope to fill my flower room with it eventually.

Here's the lonely looking IPA ladies in the flower room at 5.5 weeks.

Phuuus IPA - 5.5 weeks.jpg

Phuuus IPA - 5.5 weeks - bud shot.jpg

Phuuus IPA - 5.5 weeks - bud shot 3.jpg

Phuuus IPA - 5.5 weeks - bud shot 2.jpg

That's about it for now. I'm excited about the PHK and sure hope I get a girl from them. If not I have more seeds and will try again.

I'll keep you updated more often now that the weather is turning. Cya then. :wave:

• Like 6

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours saw good weather, good food and time shared with family. Now all of a sudden it is December and I for one am not ready for the holidays ahead.

The 2 Purple Hindu Kush and 1 Truck females were up-potted to #5 pots last Friday. The PHK's have required pruning of their lower fan leaves to allow light in. They are looking good now and will go to 12's in a few days. Not sure they will stretch much so I'm giving them plenty of time in veg. mode. I was dissapointed I didn't get a PHK male but I have more beans to try again down the road.

The Truck's (train wreck x huck kush) gave me 1 male and 1 female. Both are looking good but the dude steals the show. He has definite train wreck leaning leaves and structure so far. He's been in twelves for almost a week now and I curious to see how he develops. The female Truck will get a little more time to veg, she looks more kush oriented and is only about 12" tall now.

Here's a look at the youngsters.

Vegging 2 Purple Hindu Kush and 1 Truck.jpg

PHK #1.jpg

PHK #2.jpg

Truck #1.jpg

And here is the Truck dude.

Truck #2 - Male.jpg

Truck #2 - Male - top down.jpg

The 2 remaining Phuuu's IPA clones are 8 weeks in 12's now. Another week or so and they will be done. Even though I have grown this cross time and again I never tire of looking at her.

Phuuus IPA - 8 weeks - bud shot 3.jpg

Phuuus IPA - 8 weeks - bud shot 2.jpg

Phuuus IPA - 8 weeks - bud shot 1.jpg

That's all for now. Busy month ahead but I'll try to sneak an update in before Santa comes.

Best wishes to all of you. :)

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, BeachBud said:

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours saw good weather, good food and timed shared with family. Now all of a sudden it is December and I for one am not ready for the holidays ahead.

Thats Beach, and take heart: Alot of folks are never really ready for the holidays :)

And those Phuu's!!!... I can see why you never tire of growing/admiring her. 

Why is it called IPA? Is it "hoppy"? 

DB

1 hour ago, Darth Budder said:

Why is it called IPA? Is it "hoppy"? 

DB

Hey Darth, Phuuu's IPA is so named because her buds smell like a good IPA beer. I noticed this the first time I grew it and through various internal crosses of it that smell has been retained. I had it tested and it's only measurable terpene is Myrcene which is the main terpene in hops. I believe the high Myrcene content may be why it is so effective for my nerve pain but that is conjecture. Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Your grows are always top notch.

We had roast and tatters lol, no Turkey. One thing about not having family, we fix what we love. I started years ago buying my Christmas in the summer and fall or else I run out of time and money lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shiskaberry savior said:

I’m trying to remember what phuuu’s ipa is made of . I’ve got a couple crosses plus straight ipa looked through my notes but having trouble finding where I’d wrote the info down .

Ah yes, our memories are not what they used to be. :)

Phuuu's IPA = (AK47 x Northern Lights) x Super Skunk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BeachBud said:

Ah yes, our memories are not what they used to be. :)

Phuuu's IPA = (AK47 x Northern Lights) x Super Skunk

Ahh, no wonder the frostiness with those genes 

• Like 2

Another rainy day at the beach. I'm taking a break from Christmas decorating to post a quick update cause I probably won't get to another one until after Santa.

I pulled the two Phuuu's IPA girls today after 9 weeks. They are very fragrant atm, hits me in the face when I walk in the room. These are even stinkier than usual IPA and have a strong glue/fuel smell on top of their hoppiness (is that a word). 

I took a cut each from the two Purple Hindu Kush girls and two cuts from the Truck 5 days ago when I put the girls to flower.

bubble cloner.jpg

PHK cuts back - Truck cuts front.jpg

The flower room now has the Truck male (right side), Truck female (left side) and 2 PHK girls in the middle. 

Flower room 12-12-19.jpg

The Truck girl is looking very good so far. She has 11 fingered fan leaves like the Train Wreck Mom but she definitely has the kush structure so far. We shall see how much she stretches in the next couple of weeks.

Truck - 5 days flower.jpg

The two PHK girls are also looking good. I have pruned their fans pretty heavily to allow the undergrowth to emerge. Looks like a good base so far, now we see how they stretch.

PHK #1

Purple Hindu Kush #1 - 5 days flower.jpg

PHK #2

Purple Hindu Kush #2 - 5 days flower.jpg

The Truck male is nearly 2 weeks in 12's and it won't be long before he is ready. Good looking fella.

Truck male - main cola.jpg

Truck male - main cola top.jpg

That's it for now. Here's hoping you all have a nice Holiday with friends and family. :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gardenartus said:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you as well Beach. Is that like an incubator up there? Nice strong looking plants.

That is my clone/sprout box. I built it to help keep the little ones feet warm. Follow the link and you will see how it works. 
Here's hoping Santa is good to you. :D

Quick update on the Purple Hindu Kush. They have been in 12's for 11 days now and are living up to their name.

First a look at the flower room. You can see the Truck (train wreck x huck kush) has shot right up with plenty more to come. The PHK girls have already added 8 inches.

Flower room - 12-18-19.jpg

PHK #1

Purple Hindu Kush #1 - 11 days flower.jpg

Purple Hindu Kush #1 - 11 days flower - young bud.jpg

PHK #2

Purple Hindu Kush 2 - 11 days flower.jpg

Purple Hindu Kush 2 - 11 days flower young bud 1.jpg

Purple Hindu Kush 2 - 11 days flower young bud  2.jpg

Here's the Truck girl, tall and sturdy.

Truck - 11 days flower.jpg

and here are the 2 Truck clones just potted. The 2 PHK cuts need another day or two before potting.

Truck clones just potted.jpg

Kinda surprised to see color so early with the PHK. Gonna enjoy watching these girls mature. Stay tuned.

• Like 5