•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

HillCrest

Looking for tips on bho extraction/Shatter/purging/winterising/stability

H folks,

So I quit smoking cigs but am using a vap tank.

My outdoor grow this year will mainly be turned into shatter as I will buy a vapourizer designed for extracts instead of making e-liquid from the shatter (unless anyone can give me a reason to turn into e-liquid instead of just vaping straight shatter) .

Seems extreme due to cost of equipment but this is what I'm considering buying ...or something similar (using closed tubes not open as can winterise easier, NOT CLOSED LOOP)

Tubes considering....

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/710Vacs-Pressurised-Closed-Column-Steel-Extractor-Extraction-Blast-Tube-/162134044134

As a 12" tube ...i like this as has valves both end.

Or

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Essential-Oil-Extractor-Open-Column-Blast-Tube-Kit-includes-Ice-Jacket-/122271721549?var=&hash=item1c77f6684d:i:122271721549

12" again. Top valve looks like the same valve in a refillable lighter... Not so happy about that but it does come in 18" which i may consider as ive heard the stated capacity in grams is extremely exaggerated on many tubes ..... What do users of similar tubes think ?

Anyway I'll be freezing dry cured bud and buying dry ice to help with winterizing during the extraction process to help reduce wax extraction. Eg. Freeze bud, packtube with bud, pack tube in dry ice for a time. Extract. I may pack the extracted butane/oil in more dry ice and vacuum filter through lab grade filters to remove more waxes but i dont think this is really required if I prep everything before right.

So then after extraction I'll reduce the butane down with heat .... Yeah no flame .....and then transfer to a vacuum chamber for purging whilst applying more heat.

I simply want the cleanest product to vape given Ive stopped smoking cigs i dont see the point creating an extract full of shit to fill my lungs.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Im considering these two vape pens....

https://www.namastevaporizers.co.uk/products/puffco-plus-vaporizer

Or

https://vapefiend.co.uk/dr-dabber-aurora

The Dr Dapper seems a winner to me.

SO....STABILITY why is shatter considered more stable than just a simple BHO extraction ? Does it keep longer ? What hapoens to say normal BHO EXTRACT over time compared to SHATTER over time ?

On a side note.... We make wine... from fruit and other stuff... Like rhubarb and my mrs is sick of using cheese cloth etc to filter so i bought a bubble bag kit. Anyone else make wine and use a bubble bag as a filter as interested to know which micron bag you use for say the first filter out of fruit matter after its been soaked in sugar etc !

Regards

Hillcrest.

Hi HC

? Why not buy a resin press it's cleaner then BHO

In my opinion and should give a great finish product

No chemical , no flame

Just my 2 cents

I also want to stop smoking so vapor and wax is awesome

• Like 3

Hi HC

? Why not buy a resin press it's cleaner then BHO

In my opinion and should give a great finish product

No chemical , no flame

Just my 2 cents

I also want to stop smoking so vapor and wax is awesome

Tried it. Even had a go on the rosinn bomb press....its shit returns/yeild.... I actualy had better returns using my own manual heat and pressure application. Waxes do still come out using rosin method ..not as much but they are still present. But thx for input.

Regards

Hillcrest

Just an addition.....

The cost of the closed tubes... Vacuum chamber..... Heat mat ....vacuum pump.....etc it not all for shatter (BHO)..... We have an extensive herb garden and mrs wants to get into herb oils ... Not herb infused oil shit that many call essential oils. So the expenditure isnt that bad if the equipement has alternative uses.

Regards

Hillcrest

Edited due to horrendous typing which implied the opposite of what i was saying lol

I ran out of it, smoked it right up lol, but I had a real easy time of it using Toro Boro, as in smoking a joint. I didn't have cravings and it was like smoking a cigarette. I didn't do as well with the Vape, I made simple ejuice out of glycerin,. I smoked up an O in two days though lol So then I made the Vape juice, but it just didn't work as well as a joint for me. I am going to try again in a few months, have room to grow out the Toro again, so will try again. :)

• Like 1

Hey Hillcrest,

I am not a master BHO maker, but I went through a similar change recently by converting to vaporising and I thought you might appreciate my experiences.

I recently stopped smoking my bud (~2 months) upon starting to smoke >5 spliffs/day mainly for health reasons.

I immediately started to consume less weed because the vape high is much clearer, and I no longer got any cravings from the tobacco I added to my spliffs.

It has ruined spliffs for me -- I can't bear to burn weed anymore unless I'm with a group of non-vapers (almost everyone sigh...).

From my research into vapes, Dr Dabber is a con company that pays the High Times off for advertising them as the best vape pen. I found a site with actual user reviews of Dr Dabber pens, and everyone was there to complain -- "the only place my comments aren't deleted" "pen arrived broken" "atomizers only work when doing xyz" etc...

I have 3 vapes, 2 of them being convection vapes that I love, the third a coil-style cartridge that screws into an e-cig mod. If you are vaping e-juice already, I don't see why you would buy a pen -- the KISS cartridge I have cost peanuts, and does the same thing as the pens except you have the battery life and power control of the mod. One can have possibly 50-100 sessions with a one-battery mod on such a device before having to charge.

Now, I have barely used this device tbh. My original plan was to make lots of both an indica-dom and sat-dom shatter (I did, but a friend with closed-loop system helped with all expertise on oil production) and get high mainly through vaping oil. My first vape I purchased is the Mighty vape by Storz & Bickel (who make the Volcano), which is primarily a convection vape. This vape works v well for bud, and for concentrates you use a SS pad that absorbs the oil and releases it as it is vaped over a session. The problem is that the pad tends to hold onto the oil, making actually finishing a session difficult (so there will be some old oil/residue in the pad after a session). This need to either clean the pad, or to finish off kinda stale oil from the previous session was off-putting for me, so I pretty much just use it for bud.

I then bought my KISS cartridge coil-style vape and e-cig mod, but for me I find this experience lacks what I enjoy about consuming cannabis recreationally. It would be perfect for someone super on-the-go who needs the medicinal benefits though. Thing is, it doesn't taste as good as the Mighty, nor put out as much vapour without increasing the harshness of the vapour.

My latest vape, and should be my last purchase, is the VapeXhale Cloud Evo. This thing is the absolute master of vaping IME, and most especially for concentrates. It is like the experience of a 3-course meal finished with a chillum but in 15s and without health drawbacks. It offers greater resolution into experiencing the flavour and even effects of your bud/oil.

The major factor governing the decision to opt for coil-style or convection is price and convenience of vaping. Coil-style vapes are typically 1/10 - 1/5 the price of convection style vapes, and come in smaller sizes/use less battery power. For vapour quality and overall experience though, a convection-style vape will provide a lot more satisfaction.

I actually prefer vaping bud a lot of the time cos it's just a fresher, whole/minimally-processed product and as such carries subtleties lost in the oil production process. Also, my oils are mixes of strains, and I have favourite strains :)

• Like 2

Just bought the mighty after much deliberation and research :dribble:

• Like 1

@Shoeless do you have any experience with other coil-style vapes/could you give a comparison?

I have a KISS cartridge for stealthy vaping but it doesn't do it for me. Think I must be doing something wrong though cos people claim it to be almost as good as a rig...

@Hillcrest nice one. I actually thought I'd wasted my money after trying the Mighty for the first time, but it just took a bit of getting used to. One thing that I find almost essential is a bubbler attachment. If I'm not vaping frequently/taken a little break, I'll cough and won't appreciate the flavour, but with the bubbler it really moistens/cools the vapour and makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable for me.

@roodni...I also have the AC V2 from w9tech which works well. The DT V3 is easier to use and clean, both get the job done. The thing with either of these is you must reload for each use, which is fine for the couch, not so much for on the go.

I have been mixing concentrates with Holy Terp Pure for filling pens. Currently I am using strawberry and flavorless. There are a number of places to get the cartridges, I got mine from https://elegantaware.com/. Almost like doing dabs in a convenient multi hit pen, which lasts me a couple weeks. The cartridge I have holds .6 ml.

• Like 1