Cheap Fan controller to stop Buzzing/Humming noise?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Hey again guys.

Does anybody know any cheap variac controllers to prevent humming/buzzing noises?

I don't really want to pay £250 for a fan controller... Fan only cost me £80, seems ridiculous...

I was thinking something like this perhaps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132193059882

I have a Systemair Sileo RVK 250E2-XL 1240m/hr

#2 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

I use a similar one I got of eBay , works perfect on my solar Palau s , go for it , Infact it looks the same : )))
No hummin or buzzin with it : )
You have to manually adjust it with changing temps , the 250 ones are hybrids that change speeds automatically as temp drops or rises : )
I use the Variac for my air cooled reflector and the cheap Smscom or gse fan contoller with probe for my carbon filter ( but they can hum if speed is at lowest )
The 250 hybrid ones are a mixture of both , with no hum

#3 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

Hey ifish long time :wave:

Thats interesting, so the cheaper controllers which make fans hum often only hum at lowest settings?

I think il try that £60 variac, because my fan is 10" so any humming will prob be quite loud

#4 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hi dude how goes it : )

For me yes , the cheep ones with the probe hum only when the fan is running at very lowest speed ( winter ) with the vairiac there is no hum : )

#5 HillCrest

Once a grower ! (Always a grower)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts
  • Interests:Meat and growing not always in that order.

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Build one. Heres the one i built.

https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

Got the variacs off ebay second hand.

#6 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

Everything is good ifish, hope the same for you too.

Thanks for the link HillCrest, I will check out your thread tonight. If I think I can get the parts and build it within a short time, I think I will do that, if not I will just buy a variac.

#7 HillCrest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostSudden, on 07 July 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Everything is good ifish, hope the same for you too.

Thanks for the link HillCrest, I will check out your thread tonight. If I think I can get the parts and build it within a short time, I think I will do that, if not I will just buy a variac.

Mine was a twin fan controller with digital stat and extra port to plug a heater in. There are quite a few guides on the net on how to build simply ones the hard bit is getting a variac cheap, second hand but they are about and plenty on ebay. The one you linked to isnt a fully variable controller and has a number of settings.... In the thread i linked to Whazzup has a wiring diagram on how to build one of those.

#8 dieseldog381

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Ok, first, no fan should buzz, at any speed. Second, building a controller is a waste of time, they are inexpensive, see below link. Third, you're talking apples or oranges when you talk about temperature variable fan controllers vs variable speed fan controllers. One manually adjusts the fan speed, the other adjusts it based on temperature. Fourth, never mention "cheap" in the same sentence as growing quality cannabis, you can have a very quality setup that is quite inexpensive, and you don't have to build jack or shit.

Here's what you want, been using them for years with a 400 CFM per min Sunleaves Vortex. Keep it simple, you'll sleep better. They've also came way down in price, I paid twice this 7-8 years ago.

https://www.amazon.c...+fan+controller

These fans absolutely rock, whisper quiet, permanently sealed bearings, mine has been running almost nonstop for 7+ years using the variable speed controller.

https://4hydroponics...aves-windtunnel

#9 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

dude 240v : )
And I already explained about the apples and oranges : )

I have both , the gse and Smscom.com cheap ones with the probes ( 70-80 ) the Smscom one goes from say 10% to 100% ( will have to check ) and does not hum for me , I use this one in flower ( smell , as it never slows to a stop ) the gse one I use in veg , as it works from 0% to 100 % and if temp drops very low it shall slow to a stop , but in veg no real smell to worry about , this one will slightly hum at very very slow speed , just before it slows to a stop , but you can turn dail if needed so it never goes that low , if slight buzz is annoying for you : ) the reaction time on those are quite slow though with changing temps , compared to the more quality 250 hybrid ones , apparently : )

#10 hidronesia

gold digger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

hello sudden:)

SystemAir RVK is very popular in EU...i used for ages the Systemair original controller (the 5 step transformer)... but for better climate.... better yield.... bigger smile on my face and not last for much less money nowodays i change controllers to Santera

http://shop.bushplan...962c9c74c5ebhm0

I dont know is it available with less amps for u.. but if u put 1 or 2.. 315 rvk on it u wont hear anything if u put a silencer before and after the fans!!! belive me:)

silencers need more room yes.. reduce fans capacity yes... BUT if it is a safety question.. (close neigbours,, or friends often visit ur apartment) try the silencers!!

dont buy silencer from Growshops... u can get it for 1/3 price from airtechnik manufacturer... spiko pipe manufacturers near u.

i hope it helps

take care

hidro

#11 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Hey hidronesia, Thanks for all that info.

For now I am going to go with @HillCrest approach to a controller, I don't want to spend £250+... its overpriced I think.
Also I just have 1 fan.

Also, I have heard that the new systemair is much better than the old RVK Sileo, but the price is a rip off.
The ones we own(old) are on longer in production due to laws.

#12 HillCrest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

View Postdieseldog381, on 07 July 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Ok, first, no fan should buzz, at any speed. Second, building a controller is a waste of time, they are inexpensive, see below link. Third, you're talking apples or oranges when you talk about temperature variable fan controllers vs variable speed fan controllers. One manually adjusts the fan speed, the other adjusts it based on temperature. Fourth, never mention "cheap" in the same sentence as growing quality cannabis, you can have a very quality setup that is quite inexpensive, and you don't have to build jack or shit.

Here's what you want, been using them for years with a 400 CFM per min Sunleaves Vortex. Keep it simple, you'll sleep better. They've also came way down in price, I paid twice this 7-8 years ago.

https://www.amazon.c...+fan+controller

These fans absolutely rock, whisper quiet, permanently sealed bearings, mine has been running almost nonstop for 7+ years using the variable speed controller.

https://4hydroponics...aves-windtunnel

Sorry but a number of your statments are incorrect. Most old fans like rvk DEFINATELY DO HUM/BUZ.

Building a controller is not a waste of time as you state at all, the one in my thread especially it was digitally controlled (controller £25) , enclosure £15, variacs ..cant remmber exactly but around £80 for both... It also controlled a heater. No where can you buy a controller like the one i built for anywhere near the amount it cost to build.

The only fans that dont hum/buzz imo are the new digital motor fans. Now they ARE quiet but you pay a premium.

Regards
Hillcrest

#13 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

For some reason I didn't see your post earlier dieseldog.

Maybe for you fans have not hummed because luckily you selected the right controllers(variac), or you got lucky.
Many of the controllers on the market will cause the fan to hum/buzz/knock when used at a certain setting - the reason being is the outcome of the technology used in the controller...

smscom has cheap £50 controllers that will likely produce a hum at a certain setting for a certain size fan, then they make hybrid controllers for £275 (which have a variac inside) that will not cause any hum at any setting for any size fan.

Sometimes you can get lucky with a cheap controller(non variac) due to the fan size you use and the speed setting, but my 10" fan doesnt fall into that lucky category...

Also, I shouldn't use the word cheap, a bad word for what im trying to say... but my point being is that if a variac technology costs around £60 to buy, and smscom and other brands are selling them at £270 in there own £5 plastic enclosure, for me I would rather save my money and get the variac at £60...

That sunleaves windtunnel looks like a quality fan, I have not seen the brand or design before.
Will check out the pricing now

EDIT

I looked at that controller you use dieseldog, and I think its too cheap to contain variac technology, which leads me to believe that the reason you don't experience fan buzzing, is perhaps because that sunleaves windtunnel fan has good silencing qualities, but the buzzing probably does exist just you cant hear it.
I read some times in the past that using non variac controllers is bad on the fan longevity overall... but thats another story...

#14 Sudden

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

Also another point in favor of HillCrest idea to build a variac controller, is that you will have a HUGE number of fan speeds... 100x more speeds actually.

Unlike paying £300 for a branded variac hybrid controller which only allows speed, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5... 20% increments...

#15 HillCrest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1571 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostSudden, on 08 July 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

EDIT

I looked at that controller you use dieseldog, and I think its too cheap to contain variac technology, which leads me to believe that the reason you don't experience fan buzzing, is perhaps because that sunleaves windtunnel fan has good silencing qualities, but the buzzing probably does exist just you cant hear it.
I read some times in the past that using non variac controllers is bad on the fan longevity overall... but thats another story...

Agreed, it doesnt look like anything that has variacs in it at all... Not possible at that price.

Sudden....... your correct in your statement that using a variac as a controller extends the fans life.....this is why the are used in commercial/industrial applications as the initial cost of the variac out ways the cost of replacing fans

Edit

I have several friends that own growshops and depending on which fan a client purchases dictates which controller they recommend. 99% of the time they recommend variac controllers due to added stealth and prolonged fan life...especially if they have purchased a more expensive fan such as https://www.sunlight...ilation-ducting
Which was similar to mine.
Now the new digital fans...thats a whole different ball game as thry are brushless and the fan motor works in a different way intead of relying on the alternating current to to trigger rotation via the magnets each coil gets current independantly the the others so only firing up when exactly needed ...saving energy and wear.

Regards
Hillcrest

#16 yesum

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

I know some fans need the variac and others do not. I had one that did not need it. I currently have the S & P TD-Silent 100 and have it wired to it's lower setting. It does enough to keep my little 2x2' tent from smelling up the place. Should likely have it wired to it's higher setting but I love the very low noise it makes. No need for a controller with the S & P.