Early harvest VS fast dry/cure

Harvest dry cure

48 replies to this topic

#1 Justcozz

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, 4 wheeling, dirt bikes, hunting, fishing, anything with friends and family.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

I have been invited to a birthday party the second week of August. I would really like to take a bit of the Sannie Jack and Kinky Blaze to share. Maybe a couple of grams of each, a "taster" to get some input on what people think.

My girls are on day 44 of flower, the party will be during the 10th week. right when they should be finishing up. Right now they are starting to cloud up nicely, with about 30% clear, no amber.

Would early harvest with longer dry and cure be better?
Or would waiting for them to finish with a quick dry be better.

I know a proper dry and a couple of weeks of cure will result in a better product, but letting them finish will result in a more potent and flavorful bud.

What would you do?

Thanks, and happy smokes to all.

Edit: I want to make it clear...I'm NOT talking about a full harvest. Lol
It's not always just Cozz, sometimes it is a Just cozz

https://www.opengrow...to-share-a-bit/

#2 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4218 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Ok, I would take your samples at week 81/2 to 9 depending on status at that time.

Drying you want always to be consistent and should be around 1/4 of wet weight when drying is good. Never dry faster or longer than necessary.
  • Approximately 5 to 8 days your samples should be ready to smoke and can be jarred but once you jar be sure to open the jars (gently rotate buds and let sit a few minutes for air exchange and do a few times a day initially then to once a day to as the interior moisture comes out of the buds.
  • Do that until no change in buds and leave sealed.
  • Doing other gimmicks/tricks to dry faster will not serve you well.
Hope that helps.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#3 Justcozz

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, 4 wheeling, dirt bikes, hunting, fishing, anything with friends and family.

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostHempyfan, on 10 July 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Ok, I would take your samples at week 81/2 to 9 depending on status at that time.

Drying you want always to be consistent and should be around 1/4 of wet weight when drying is good. Never dry faster or longer than necessary.
  • Approximately 5 to 8 days your samples should be ready to smoke and can be jarred but once you jar be sure to open the jars (gently rotate buds and let sit a few minutes for air exchange and do a few times a day initially then to once a day to as the interior moisture comes out of the buds.
  • Do that until no change in buds and leave sealed.
  • Doing other gimmicks/tricks to dry faster will not serve you well.
Hope that helps.
Thanks, I suspected a proper dry/cure was the right thing. But wasn't sure.

Im still just a rookie trying to find his way....

#4 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4218 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

Im still just a rookie trying to find his way....

We all are. I do and will always consider myself a pup, it is in that mentality that I can easily learn more and more.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#5 polygonum

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I'am thinking The Jack will take longer.

Best choice is to wait untill the right time but if you really have to. tkaje some ripe looking buds from the earliest pheno's 1,5 week before the party and try to dry them slow.

I'am sure it will be a good up high smoke.

Patience and timing is everything :shifty: but now you can compare your early harvest with your "real" harvest, that will be a great learning expierience.

Grts
Making seeds with chucky's bride https://www.opengrow...ide-as-a-daddy/
Boudica looking for a motherplant https://www.opengrow...-a-motherplant/
Guerilla and breeding 2017 https://www.opengrow...-breeding-2017/
Guerilla and breeding 2016 https://www.opengrow...-breeding-2016/
Guerilla and breeding 2014 https://www.opengrow...eeding-2014-nl/
Guerilla 2013 https://www.opengrow...eeding-2014-nl/
Shackzilla Scrog 2013 https://www.opengrow...att-gavita-pro/

#6 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hard for me too right now, have a Duchess taking an extra long time, the two smokes I have on hand aren't doing the trick for the one patient. I am trying to figure out, perhaps just dry, I don't think pulling her too early would be in your best interest. Rather have the potency with not as nice smell and taste, JMO. This one is very close, I might even snip a few buds and let them dry early, so I can have some for the patient, and leave the rest till full harvest.

My patients are a bit spoiled and expect a cure, not going to happen this time around.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#7 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

I'd be the opposite , smell and taste comes first but I am a rec user , I can rely on abit of placebo to get me through , I understand the other side of the argument too : )

If I were me I would get everyone fucked up on a Gardenartus birthday delight : )))))

#8 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

hehehe there you go, feed em medibles, give em the taste and smell, they won't know it isn't potent or not the medibles will do the trick lol
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#9 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

Haha yeah , and pull the telephone from the wall , what happens at the party stays at the party lol

Pissst , ohhhhh and what ever strength Gardenartus says ....... Half it : )

#10 Justcozz

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Polygonum,
Im out of likes...but cheers. Comparing the two, that will teach me to leave the girls alone till it's time. I wouldn't even consider early tasting but it's a kind of special occasion. Thanks.

Mr.G and ifish ...likes out to you two also..thanks

Edit: every time I type "ifish" damn iPad corrects it to Irish.....lol

#11 Justcozz

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

View Postifish, on 10 July 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I'd be the opposite , smell and taste comes first but I am a rec user , I can rely on abit of placebo to get me through , I understand the other side of the argument too : )

If I were me I would get everyone fucked up on a Gardenartus birthday delight : )))))

The funny thing? I'm neither, I just want to share and have them enjoy the fruits..uh flowers of my labor. I've only had the stuff 2-3 times this year...i am sure that will all change soon..

#12 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Lol dam iPads haha

#13 Damar

rookie gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1449 posts
  • Interests:Organic Gardening

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:47 AM

View PostJustcozz, on 10 July 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Edit: every time I type "ifish" damn iPad corrects it to Irish.....lol

oh the irony hahah ;)

In any case, I am 100% behind harvesting 1 or 2 of the smaller buds early, and giving them the normal cure instead of a fast cure. First off, I like the high from an early harvest better than an overripe one, but early or late, the cure is 50% of the game, and if you fuck that up you get a bad tasting weed without good effects IMO. Like polygonum said, a week to dry, half a week of short cure, they'll be ready to smoke, and with what you're growing vs. who will be trying it... I feel like you'll blow everyone away regardless.
Living Organic Soil thread / grow journal ...

"Blessed is he who has found his work, let him ask no other blessings" -Thomas Carlyle

#14 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:13 AM

Look at one of hidronesias thread! He has a pretty fast drying process with boxes and a fan and he says the flavor is still there after drying :)

Greetz
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#15 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostMiNdLesS, on 11 July 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

Look at one of hidronesias thread! He has a pretty fast drying process with boxes and a fan and he says the flavor is still there after drying :)

Greetz
You have a quick link to the post? I might need to do that myself :)

Posted Image

#16 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2080 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Unfortunatly Not cause it just came out of Memory haha

Greetz
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#17 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Yes a quick link would be great : ))) my jars are empty and I need some baaaaaad : )

Think harder mindless lol

THINK MAN , THINK : )))

#18 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2080 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hey lazies :D

I did a quick search in the gallery for the pictures he uploaded but couldn't find it. Could also be this fucking phone I use to read, so if u have a desktop or laptop or even a better phone - try it!

Wer suchet, der findet ;)

#19 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

Lol
I suppose I have waited this long , We can wait abit longer till you find a better phone haha

#20 Hamme Hydro

It's either hydro or i go!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Slow is the way to go!