How can I get more smell/flavor with hydro?

17 replies to this topic

#1 kamut

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

In the past year, I have traveled to a couple of legal recreational states, Washington and Colorado. The pot there has been great, if you pay $14 plus per gram in my experience.

Potency-wise, I have been able to somewhat keep pace with sanniesshop genetics, which is great. The areas where these states are crushing me is smell and flavor. When I grew organically in soil, it was definitely better, but I ain't goin' back. Hydro is just too easy for me, just seems to work better with my overall approach to growing/life.

Is it just curing practices? I started working on my curing recently, using hygrometers, and I did improve a lot. I live in the desert and pot dries very quickly here. Are these states just curing really well.

How are these states getting their bud so stinky? I'm assuming they all use hydro. Maybe they're organic?
To whom it may concern: I am in compliance with my state's medical marijuana laws. Everything I am describing here is legal in my state.

#2 ifish

>< {{{{{ *<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

if your bud is drying too quick , you will lock in the green hay taste , and the true flavours won't come out

#3 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

Its about the terpines so lets look at what limits that. (terpines are easy to lose)
  • Environment - Good VPD numbers for best practice but being in a good range (not border line) in humidity and heat is what you want.
  • Plant nutrition - If your plant is wanting or overly burdened with nutrients & minerals than this is a deduction.
  • Not having too high a nitrogen is important. Understand the plant can store way to much nitrogen than it needs without showing any negative signs (very green but healthy in veg, maybe that but not always too). This will limit you. (few here may appreciate that)
  • Drying & Curing - Be as picky in this as you are in growing the plant.
  • Understand about Brix. I personally like a brix of 12-15 (more for bug control) but I do believe around 20 is where I see those who work to optimize terpines. (their is a trade off in brix (quality) to yield. Few will tell you that so do not go crazy high. In hydro, it was hard for me to raise and sustain brix to satisfactory numbers. (know when to check brix too, very important Danial son!

I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#4 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

Octopots, they combine hydro with soil. You get the growth of hydro with the taste and smell of soil. I wont' go back to soil. I didn't like the lighter taste or smell of hydro, when I found the Octopot, that was the answer, I easily doubled my yields over soil, but kept the taste and smell of soil grown.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#5 dieseldog381

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Hmmmmm, interesting question. Commercial grown hydro has tons of bloom enhancers, some use PGR(Plant growth regulators), and in my experience, commercial hydro weed all tastes like chemical induced crap. I was shocked when reading the ingredients on some edibles, where they are required to list all the crap that's in the weed used to make them. It all has that "McDonald's" taste, like it all came from the same place.

However, most hobby grown hydro weed I've had is pretty darn good. Begin with organic hydro nutrients, and build on that. I you want great tasting weed, imo, you've got to use guano's, worm castings, compost, etc, nothing tastes better than guano grown weed. So, I love Fox Farm's Big Bloom, which is exactly the stuff I use in my organic grows. I also use Hi-Brix Molasses. Works pretty well in DWC, but I'd hate to try using that stuff in aeroponics, or anything with drip lines, as it can get pretty messy.

The Octopots make a lot of sense, best of both worlds, just like my Duoponics set up, lots of variations out there, but it's basically a soil top section, with a wicked up water reservoir below. Best thing about these systems is you can leave them for days, and come back to a thriving crop.

The cure is critical, too, and if drying too, fast, try hanging them in the shower, and run the hot water a few times a day to slow down the dry time. In winter where I am, it's so dry, stems will snap in 4-5 days, which is too fast, summer is exactly the opposite.

Good luck to you!

#6 Hamme Hydro

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Soil growers that have tasted my weed liked it so much that they have changed their opinions about hydro growing because of it. To get good smell and taste use a sufficient A + B nutriment and try to find the bottom Ec. And take your time to dry it in a dark cool place. As soon as the twigs almost break put the weed into weckpots and air for ten minutes a few times a week and then let it cure.

Make sure your plants are ripe before harvest and flush the last week. In my opinion a good grown hydro weed beats a soil grown to the punch. It is more gentle on the throat and gives a cleaner smoke.

#7 Darth Budder

Huh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Try increasing magnesium sulfate. I have found it enhances flavor and smell. Someone told me sulphur was important for that

Take with a grain, my knowledge is spotty and based on anecdotal observation

Db
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."

#8 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1830 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

hamme, i think u should proof that to me...need my adress?! :D
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#9 Hamme Hydro

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

No problem, send me a pm and we'll arrange that! ;)

#10 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

View Postdieseldog381, on 18 July 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Hmmmmm, interesting question. Commercial grown hydro has tons of bloom enhancers, some use PGR(Plant growth regulators), and in my experience, commercial hydro weed all tastes like chemical induced crap. I was shocked when reading the ingredients on some edibles, where they are required to list all the crap that's in the weed used to make them. It all has that "McDonald's" taste, like it all came from the same place.

Little off topic but one of the things folks foul up, they use way too much trim instead of bud, they cook at too high a temp, some have no patience, and this takes time if you want a product that is palatable, just like our drying and curing is important, same with medibles. Instead of thinking of a waste product, where as to use up scrap, should be thought of and made in the same aspect of how we treat our plants, Why go through all the work and trouble to make awesome cannabis, just to cheese out on medibles.

Off my soap box now lol :)
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#11 Misterdirt

Quiet Desperado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8820 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR Heart Racing

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostHamme Hydro, on 18 July 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Soil growers that have tasted my weed liked it so much that they have changed their opinions about hydro growing because of it. To get good smell and taste use a sufficient A + B nutriment and try to find the bottom Ec. And take your time to dry it in a dark cool place. As soon as the twigs almost break put the weed into weckpots and air for ten minutes a few times a week and then let it cure.

Make sure your plants are ripe before harvest and flush the last week. In my opinion a good grown hydro weed beats a soil grown to the punch. It is more gentle on the throat and gives a cleaner smoke.

I never got the chance to smoke the same strain grown via hydro and grown via organic soil, since I was an isolated outpost, growing in Illegalville. But I figured if a taste/scent fanatic like Esko grows with hydro, it must be possible to grow tasty weed with hydro.

View Postgardenartus, on 17 July 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Octopots, they combine hydro with soil. You get the growth of hydro with the taste and smell of soil. I wont' go back to soil. I didn't like the lighter taste or smell of hydro, when I found the Octopot, that was the answer, I easily doubled my yields over soil, but kept the taste and smell of soil grown.

How do you do that? Just mix the same organic materials into the soil mix and just use water in the reservoir below, or do you also add nutrients in organic form to the water?

I used to use Canna's organic nutes to supplement after the goodies in the soil were used up, when necessary. Would that work in the reservoir of octopots, or would it gum things up? (Canna's organic nutes kind of look like mud.)
Place no head above your own.
-- Gotama The Buddha

#12 Hamme Hydro

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostMisterdirt, on 18 July 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

I never got the chance to smoke the same strain grown via hydro and grown via organic soil, since I was an isolated outpost, growing in Illegalville. But I figured if a taste/scent fanatic like Esko grows with hydro, it must be possible to grow tasty weed with hydro.
Frankly i did try and i prefer the hydro grown weed. When i started indoor growing i commenced with soil and the Amnesia core cut and when i switched to hydro i kept growing the same strains.

#13 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

It feeds from the water, (course it pulls up nutes from the soil) so the ferts are in the water, you don't water the soil in the Octopots, it feeds from the little res it sits on. I have one room free standing, the other room I have them hooked to a res. Jetdro put out a really awesome grow report on the Octopots. He explains it all so much better then I have ever been able too. :) https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

Psssssst, Kamut, I used to sell antiques, love the plate :)

Posted Image

#14 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

Octopots are simply a hempy bucket with a felt container. My name comes from Hempybuckets and not hemp. Hempy was an actual guy who introduced me to those a whole other life a long time ago.

The key to terps is correct nutrition/minerals matching the grow period and to the plant aspects and balance all that with the environment and sail those seas well and you will not be wanting unless it is another genetic but quality will be their.

If you was to take the same clone equal in all ways and two different people grow it. The expression will be different.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#15 Darth Budder

Huh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostHempyfan, on 18 July 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Octopots are simply a hempy bucket with a felt container. My name comes from Hempybuckets and not hemp. Hempy was an actual guy who introduced me to those a whole other life a long time ago.

Doesn't the addition of the soil add something though HempFan? Or did a soil cap on the Hempy's end up being the rule instead of the exception? Even still, in Octo the media is meant to be soil based and wick up the solution from the res. I think the idea is you get the best of both worlds with the soil based lifecycle with the readily available and abundant nutes of something like DWC. You would also have both water based and soil based roots. Whereas hempy the roots in the media above the res are really just getting oxygen?

???? I am askin...

PS. Many moons ago I read Hempy's write up of how he discovered this system and how all the hydro shop people all poo-poo'ed him until he showed some results. Would you (or anyone?) happen to have a link to that thread in your giant tome of beholding?

DB
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."

#16 dieseldog381

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Octopots are kind of like this. The idea is the roots branch out in soil for nutrients, go straight down for a continuous supply of water, which is why this works so well. I found with a really big plant, I'd also feed in my reservoir to avoid deficiencies. I could leave it a week to ten days, which is why it worked so well for me. My soil mix was an old recipe, guanos, castings, kelp, lime, green sand, azomite, peat or coir and perlite. Some great tasting weed. Rick Speer first wrote about this a few years back, that I can find,but wicking pots have been around for years.

https://www.opengrow...5111-duoponics/

#17 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Its just an adaption to help bring microbes and stability (more user friendly) into the equation. The function is similar in wicking buckets. The rest is tomato/tamoto king of thing, just means little differences.
Wicking bucket example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhfQXBt9Y4E

What octopots do bring to the table are the microbes in the soil above and keeping the media at a good humidity. They do what they do very well and those who use them here show this very very well!

I get that they may argue they are not hempy buckets but they are, fancy ones and I do not throw a stone at all but they will make a difference claim because they want you to buy their system and I have no issue what so ever with them. I just speak how I see it and why.

Traditional hempy buckets are mainly fed from below rather than established nutrients in the media. However, I was never a traditionalist and my was more hybrid and was a combination of many styles.

My soil is a wicking media largely mineral and bio based soil and I flood from bottom after initial setting in. Very similar process. Oxygen gets to all the roots via the uptake of water below in all similar systems.

My favorite method is tables, felt pots or any root control container with a low ec wicking light soil mix and with low EC inputs (flooded) from below. Wicking and flooding are both great but I like the oxygen better with flooding over wicking alone however the octopots are similar with great oxygen and root control due to the felt containers. Also the felt containers help with maintaining media temperatures better than plastic but trade off is felt might need more watering in comparison but I never saw that as an issue myself.

I preferred the 3 gallon wider containers to the 3 gallon tall ones but this is based on preference for my situation. I have used them all and depending on pheno/plant type and to match the management method used. Low and spread like for a net I like wider ones but tall and numerous I like the taller ones.

Roots should match your canopy management.

FYI - when adding inputs via flooding, this will push salts up the media column, so perhaps once a week or once every two weeks a good low EC watering from above helps ensure no problems but this is not necessary if you keep to low EC in my experience but in the days of the past when I was not smart acting I would push EC levels and then EC buildup from the flooding can harm.

The best answer is to understand soil/media works with the style of your choice. Octopots have made it user friendly and pretty hard to screw up if you follow the directions and dont play I know better games.

#18 Collie Weed

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted Today, 04:12 AM

What do you guys think of Guano Extract from No Mercy supplies?
Is it compatible with rfx or rockwool?

I use it in soil grows at the end,it's the only additive while flushing.
And the taste improved a lot.

If you'd use it in a hydro setting what will be the effect?
Is there a downside to this additive in hydro?

I've always had head-ache weed from the shop as a rolemodel for hydro.
But they use too much pk 13/14 and don't flush...
Or too weak of a flavour so you need a clean bong with each hit....

The only person to surpass that a bit,is HammeHydro.
But still i wish he'd use guano extract at the end,just once. ;)

But hey,i can also be a critic sometimes.

Jah Bless!