•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
MrWombat

Need some advice on what to get

Hello I am currently getting back into the game of growing just as soon as I move I plan to get the homebox ambient 120 some wingspread or cooltube reflector hps 400w electronic ballast is it worth paying a few extra bucks here or?

If I am doing cooltube will exhaust be enough or do I need intake too?

area will be 120x120x200cm

il also be getting the soler palau fan 500

my plan is to sog em in slightly medium pots

if you're going to use an air cooled reflector i'd consider going with a 600w digital ballast. more lumes per watt then a 400. or use no reflector and hang it bare bulb, but make sure you have lots of air flow to remove the heat.

• Like 1

led's perhaps? the initial investment can be steep but in the long run can be an excellent choice and eliminate the heat issue. ones that throw a full spectrum of light along with a decent amount of uv are supposedly able to produce more potent buds.

if you don't have air coming in you may want to look into getting a co2 tank and have a closed op.

I wanna keep the idea as hps at the moment. I was thinking instead of cooltube then id go with a wingw spreader and just get a few extra fans in there hopefully will do the job

• Like 1

ah, i didn't think of that. the ceramics produce quite a bit of heat as well but the spectrum of light they throw is pretty awesome. probbly a little less pricey to start than a comparable led, just gotta make sure you're moving enough air to keep vpd in good range.

• Like 1

You can buy cdm in 150w 100w also , they are just shop light fittings ( maybe do 4x 100w vert , and if heat is an issue then you can turn one off or on as needed , you get them cheap on eBay second hand ) saving money on no reflector being needed also

There's not such a big hot spot as it is split between 4 bulbs so easier to manage : )

Philips cdm elite 100w g12 fitting 930 flower

Philips cdm elite 100w g12 fitting 942 veg

The 150 w only comes in 930 and they are bright , very sore on the eyes

For a 1.2m space, 600w hps all the way. No need for a cooltube if your intake and outake is up to the task. You lose a few lumens with cooltubes and spread. Fan aimed just above the canopy and you will be fine

• Like 2

Had to convert, lol, looks like 4 ft by 4 ft, by 7 and half foot, very similar to my space.

Have you looked at heat dispersers on your 600w? I have a bitch of a time keeping heat down in the summer months, and these things make a marked difference. https://growershouse.com/the-equalizer-hot-spot-diffuser-1000-hps I run a SunLeaves Wind Tunnel 400 CFM, I think. works fine in winter.

I tell you what, I'd encourage you to reconsider LED's in that space. I ran 600's for years, and have been changing back and forth the past 18 months or so with a Platinum 650 LED, just to compare. I seriously believe the buds are danker, tighter, AND, they even seem to finish a bit faster under the LED, plus, cooling fans, ducts, etc, are a thing of the past. In that size space, you're really not looking at that much difference in cost, between initial setup, utilities, replacement bulbs, etc. I save almost $30 bucks a month, just running the LED as opposed to my 600, so payback on the price difference is less than a year, on electric bills alone.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 2

actually now that you say it led does sound like a nice option.. but what leds are actually good for euro ppl nowadays

Here's a few well known names to get you started, everyone will ship about anywhere these days. I was a true skeptic, so I read hours of reviews, looked at grows on manufacturers Facebook pages, and just asked people. I decided on the Platinum, because they have excellent reviews, and are not quite as expensive as Black Dog or Kind, yet not as cheap as a Mars. I also liked the shape of the Platinum lights, which work perfect in my 28inch x 53 in x 96inch space. I originally bought a Platinum 400, about $500, liked it so much, I went back and bought a 600.

Some tech heads here build their own, which is above my pay grade. Most mid grade and up LED's will grow some great bud, and about all have pretty excellent spectrums. I've gotten lazy in my old age, and LED is just so much easier than HPS.

https://platinumgrowlights.com

https://www.blackdogled.com

https://www.kindledgrowlights.com

https://californialightworks.com

Hi bro

I am big fan of leds I use

2 each mars hydro reflector series they have a veg bloom switch and low heat

I may be able to get a way with one but I like the light coverage it gets with two

The have 96 3 watt chips each they were rated to replace a 400 watt hps

I feel they are every bit as good as my old 400 watt hps I replaced

Oh mars is on the cheaper side but 2 years running them and all good so far

That platinum 400 has my attention thou

Good luck with your decision

Papalag

Hey man,

I would highly recommend the 315´s, the heat is way more manageable than hps (or atleast has been in my climate), the plants are far healthier throughout the grow and the resin/crystal production is insane compared to what I was managing under hps. as soon as you tun them on for the first time it is obvious that the plants will love it as the spectrum is beautiful. If you really want to push the boat out you can get a double ended hood and use the same power as one 600 hps with a similar heat output. I do believe there is no better light unless you are willing to buy something like a Fluence led panel.

Although I must say you can grow great bud under many lighting systems, the lights are just one part and equally important are, temperature control, air flow/humidity control and a correct nutrient balance.

Peace and happy growing

x

• Like 2

Diy led set up from kingbrite ( not kingbright ) .......... in China : )

I am Vicky from KingBrite, nice to support you!

The cost as below:

4x Cree CXB3590 3500K 80Cri CD bin, 36v : 34usd/pcs;

4x ideal holder: 2.8usd/pcs;

1x mean well HLG-240H-C1750A, unit price: 66usd/pcs;

It can run 4 cobs at 36v, each led is 63w.

Led wire and thermal pads are free

Shipping cost: 35usd by TNT. It takes about 4 days.

Paypal Charge 4.5%

The meanwell driver also comes in dimable version ( same numbers etc but the last letter is b or c maybe , you would have to check )

You still have to cool them with computors fans or those other things ( too stoned to remember their name haha )

I went the cdm route in the end tho , way less complicated and cheaper : )

Those specs and prices were over a year ago , now they are maybe cheaper and even better set ups

• Like 1

If u have a window nearby than build a box with a connection for the exhaust on it and let the air go out directly, that will help u A LOT to manage heat and then u can go with a 600 hps easily (what I recommend for the space) also the idea with 4 x 150 CDM I'd think about. I use a 315 and love it!

Greetz