•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
jamin-303

larger than average pheno selection

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions about plant selection on a large (ish) scale. I know there are some very experienced growers and breeders here who could definitely advise me and anyone else feel free to chuck in knowledge, thoughts or questions.

My aim is to grow 150 seeds of a few varieties in phone hunts.

My original plan is to:

1- Germinate seeds

2- Top plants after third node

3- Top and take cuttings from the two leaders

4- re-pot and flower

My question is should I actually be allowing the plants to grow naturally without topping (and not slowing the plants down) and take cuttings from the lower shoots as they grow?

These plants will be far far smaller than how I usually grow and I am trying to understand how I can equate the yield from one of these small plants to a large tree in a 50 litre pot.

Is it possible to have an idea of what they would achieve scaled up, or on a pheno selection process like this would I simply be looking at general vigor and final product quality?

If I am not making complete sense please ask me to clarify.

Cheers!

Jamin

x

p.s I intend to start in sponge root pots, move onto 250ml and flower in 2L pots

• Like 2

Took me ages there working out what a phone selection and phone hunts was lol but I got there in the end

Idk : )

• Like 2

I'd go like this:

1. Germinate

1b. Make first selection and get rid of everything that is looking not healthy/strong

2. Plant in the pots and let it grow for 2-3 weeks

2b. Make second selection and get rid of what's not looking great

3. Take two cuttings of each plant

3b. Make the third selection and get rid of everything that is not rooting fast or like the way u expected

4. Flower the seed plants

4b. While flowering goes on make the fourth selection an get rid of anything u not like, like two big stretch or whatever

5. After harvesting and curing u make the final selection and take just the ones u like

I'd rather take 3,5 liter pots to flower them

Good luck! :)

• Like 3

Are you going to be running fems or regulars?

That would change the method significantly

I have a good idea what could be done if you want to grow the way you said, just post which type of seed and how many strains

ex 3 strains of 50 fems each or 5 strains of 30 reg each etc.

• Like 1

Determine what exactly you are selecting for. Yield, potency, flavor, color etc.

I will be running regulars.

I will first run be running 8 Bodhi strains and it will be 20 ish seeds of each strain first run.

I will state this is because I am looking to further a commercial plan BUT, it is strictly quality over quantity. Although a certain yield is obviously important, flavour and general balance of high are most important.

I intend on running the same method with other strains immediately after.

if these numbers aren't adequate to find (probably) ++ phenotypes I am willing to adjust, these numbers are based on my so far successes but these could have been down to luck!

peace

x

"My question is should I actually be allowing the plants to grow naturally without topping (and not slowing the plants down) and take cuttings from the lower shoots as they grow?"

This makes sense, and gives you a truer image of how the plant will grow on it's own, which is what you're looking for. Some strains react better to topping than others, some stall, longer, etc. I'd save the topping for 2nd or third run, once you find some you want to work with.

"I will first run be running 8 Bodhi strains and it will be 20 ish seeds of each strain first run."

160 plants? Congrats! lol What Mindless said, simple, straight forward, and time consuming!!! Why can't cannabis plants grow over a long weekend? With 20 of each strain, you'll have more than enough diversity to find the winners and losers, wish I had that much space and time, pun intended.

• Like 1

If you are running regulars, then that changes a lot.

What I would do is split your run in 2. Run the first 80, when they get big enough to take a clone from the top, do that. When the clones are rooted, throw them into flower immediately in no more than 3l but solo cups will work. As soon as you get your males to show, toss them or separate them and then continue to veg your original females until they are big enough to take 2 more good clones from (if you have high success rate, if low, take 4) then flower once you have rooted clones of each.

You'll get a better idea of how they perform on a large scale if you do that from the very beginning.

Once they are in flower you can start to do selections in your clone run or start on your second set of 80.

@jamin-303

awesome things you have planned.. Good Luck! and here is some info....

that way is more of judging a book by its cover.... when you only flower only the original seed plant... due know the weed can change a lot on a cutting from a seed female you have smoked... my suggestion is

step 1 pop and flower all.... make cutting's of the most potent in you're opinion during veg....

Step 2 smoke it....

step 3 re flower the cutting's and take new ones during veg...

step 4 smoke the cuttings and take a first judging of the best ones.....

Step 5 re flower cutting's and make you're final decision....

step 6 smoke and test you're selected strain for @ least 3-4 times before deciding...

those who judge a book by its cover don't know fooking sheit...lol (in my opinion)

the best looking plants are usually not rewarding on high or taste and to even talk about blind(without smoking) selections i could not think of this.... this is(in my opinion) the reason why cannabis is destroyed today because of blind selections done one looks alone

in my days of growing and smoking none have came to the table to show us a quality strain or weed.

the genetic codes of most cannabis strains today are simply broken down by years of commercial growing.....

C'mon the commercial growers cant imagine you getting really HIGH Or FOOKED... or no one would return to buy more SHITTY Coffeeshop/Dispensery "weed".hahahahaahhaha

sorry for my opinion... but sadly this is the case....

i hope you do well on your selections and take in mind the things i have said....

Stay safe and Fly HIGH

Greetz PolderGrower & RhinoCBD

• Like 3

Thanks NAW,

You are right, In previous runs from seed where I have grown my plants to a large size I could not have told you which ones I would choose to keep by the way they grow in veg. And they do behave very differently from clone.

I have actually lost plants I wish I had kept by

1- growing from seed

2- taking cutings

3- smoke test

4- flower all cuttings

5- take cuttings of keeper plant based on seed harvest

6- harvest plants from cuttings

7- regret my original smoke selection

I will take your advice and do:

1- germinate

2- short veg, just long enough to obtain cuttings.

3- flower original plants

4- veg cuttings long enough to gain more cuttings.

5- flower original cuttings

6- smoke testing

This project begins at the beginning of October and I will attempt to do a journal. Although I am very busy and the journal may very well end up taking a sideline due to how hectic things can get haha :oeps

• Like 2

Genetics is first, know the genetics. Before doing a search you should have a firm understanding of the strain.

Are you working with F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. Do you understand the differences and what to expect by working within each F line?

Perhaps grow some out first, research the crap out of it.

• Know about the lineage and their properties in terms of dominant and recessive traits of the parents.
  • Understanding breeding and genetics is most helpful in that.

Take back up clones not by topping but lower branches/growth so you can see the natural plant more so than if topped.

• Initially I like to see the plants normal and select for traits or properties that is being looked for.

Other than taking out plants for health, structure or any other negative issues initially. Do not easily remove plants as you do not really know enough until the end, depending on the trait or traits you are looking for.

In making a selection, have a firm idea of what you are looking for. Do not rush selections, it will not serve you well.

keep lots of records and review well.

• Like 3

The seeds are not readily available from store fronted websites, you send an email and get a product list from a friend of the breeder who sorts your order for you.

This is quite common now and the email of who to speak to can usually be found on Instagram.

This list I have is essentially a list of names with the plants parents underneath, for example

Heavenly Hashplant

(Original Bubba Kush aka Pre92 x 1988 G13 Hashplant)

They do not state the generations but I will ask.

I have a very basic understanding of what to expect from differing f lines, F1 stable, F2 very unstable (good for special plant hunting/breeding as trait variation is greatest. F3 more stable. subsequent generations increase in stability

I was expecting a mixed bag of lines and was just going to roll with it, see what they said on the packets when they arrived.

Information on Bodhi strains is pretty limited in general tbh as they have no website or dedicated forum, as far as i can tell

Good points everyone! Important is that the weak plants get out of the group and that u know what u want.

The final decision which plants become members of your stable need several cycles of investigation, stress and smoke testing, I can't describe how important the smoke testing is :D

160 plants is a number in my eyes and sure fun to do, that is gonna be some work :)

Greetz