•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
saxo

active carbon pellets

i´m curious if those active carbon pellets,they sell for Aquarium/Gardenpond-Filters, is the same we use in our growroom Air Filters ?

71-vKlaV-kL._SL1000_.jpg

the granulate/pellets at least looks the same...is there diff. activ-carbon?

• Like 1

Goes on hole / mesh size , smaller the mesh = longer the life

Mountainair Carbon is rc412 = mesh no smaller than 4 and no bigger than 12

I think the cheaper carbon filters are rc48 = mesh no smaller than 4 and no bigger than 80

The denser the source , the smaller the mesh = longer life

I have a roor Carbon filter on my bong , great addition : )

I don't think there is levels of activation , it's either activated or not

Would be great , if we could de activate carbon to clean it ( flush ) then activate it again : )

• Like 2

Hey saxo, I refill my filter with this pellets for 2 years and it works very well :)

Have a nice Sunday

Greetz

• Like 4

...ahh,that´s what i want to hear lol ..gonna go to the Gardencenter tomorrow to check the prices

Thanks !!!

• Like 4

I had alook on eBay : )

@mindless , do you like the pellets better than the granular type ?

Both maybe work the same , are the pellets just easier to work with , cleaner ?

Hi saxo

I used to do a dyi filter and I used the carbon from the pet store for the fish tanks it worked just fine

I just got lazy

I do keep some around so if the filter is failing I just put this carbon in a woman's stocking and stick it in to the filter

Papalag

• Like 1

I use the stuff from 'öko-san' with the size of 3mm. I bought it in Amazon but since I avoid those places now I'd have a look in the pet or garden center or some sanitär-shops.

Greetz

• Like 1

Yeah, kind of. U know this stuff to wrap around trees or other plants that don't like it too frosty? It's brownish or grey...I use this one, double layer.

• Like 2

....ja,i got me some active carbon (5kg/20€ from amazon) and i just finished refilling my filter:

i drilled out the rifets and removed the old carbon some weeks ago.....

gallery_3641_294_88669.jpg

...i filled in the new carbon pellets....

gallery_3641_294_138950.jpg

.....close the filter and fix it with screws insteet of rifets(to make further refillings easier)....

gallery_3641_294_145869.jpg

...got me some Garden-Fleece to save the filter/carbon from dust.....

gallery_3641_294_117373.jpg

.... wrap the filter in several layers of fleece .....and ready !

gallery_3641_294_165229.jpg

pretty easy to do and not as messy as i expected....and saves lotsa Money

• Like 6

Great job.

It made me think of Coltrabods DYI filter he posted up on OverGrow back in 2003-4 or so. I dug around in my files and found it..

So different in many ways and so much the same also.

I just made a fresh batch of BioChar, it should work the same.

• Like 3

Hey web, how do u do ur bio char? I researched it some days ago to find the easiest way. Did u have a metal box or can with holes that u put in fire ( with plant material inside)? Very interesting to me :)

Greetz

@hey Saxo broo!

i used AP granulated charcoal. it looks like your picture 3-4mm d and 4-8mm long

also count required volume of coal for your filter cos it can be not so cheaper compared to new one filter.

missed topic lol

• Like 1

alo i used concrete vibro machine to tighter coal, so i had to add about 10% more

refilled filter worked perfectly about 2 runs.

@ saxo nice to hear your review after run or two

• Like 2

[Hey web, how do u do ur bio char?]

I have a few snaps in my gallery.

But honestly it took just a few minutes, and stove pipe, and stove pipe fittings.

All I did was to use a section of 6" SP about 24" long.

I use a cut off disc to put some slices about 2" long down along the sides of that tube for placer gas to gush out of, during it's baptism by fire.

However you need to add a pair of reducers to either end, to neck it down to 4", and then I cap one end, fill it with scrap chunks of wood.

Place the other cap on the end, sheet metal screwed it together......BUT you need a way to extinguish it by starvation of oxygen, so what I did was to use an old piece flashing, wrapped it around the 6" tube, folded each side to form a tight fitting cover and used hand clamps to hold that in place, until it's cooled down.

It's so damn simple.

It takes maybe 1.5 hours in my fire ring, as I burn up old shrub trimmings we gather around our property.

Once you see the placer gas NOT squirting out the slits, it will still be there, but greatly reduced, and a great time to pull it out still burning, and wrap the cover around it...and wait.

I can snap a few pics if anyone does not get it.

• Like 3

[@ webeblzr , how are you going to activate the bio char ? ]

Since I'm not going to ingest it, I'm not at all worried about it.

ACTIVATED CHARCOAL OVERVIEW INFORMATION

Common charcoal is made from peat, coal, wood, coconut shell, or petroleum. “Activated charcoal” is similar to common charcoal, but is made especially for use as a medicine. To make activated charcoal, manufacturers heat common charcoal in the presence of a gas that causes the charcoal to develop lots of internal spaces or “pores.” These pores help activated charcoal “trap” chemicals.

Activated charcoal is used to treat poisonings, reduce intestinal gas (flatulence), lower cholesterol levels, prevent hangover, and treat bile flow problems (cholestasis) during pregnancy.

How does it work?

Activated charcoal is good at trapping chemicals and prevents their absorption.

I'm simply after the beneficial organisms of the BioChar, and reuse worthless scraps of wood, instead of landfilling that stuff.

The internal structure of BC that comes from my crappy cooker, is fantastic. It is firm, but will snap, with beautiful elegance to it.

It is an exceptional smell killer.

A dear friend, is in a relationship with a great guy, she partakes, he not so much, but does not care at all with her using.

However, 2 weekends a month, his daughter comes to stay with them, so she simply does not partake.

A week ago, the lady calls me and tells me the kid, can smell *skunks* outside, or somewhere inside. What can I do?

I give her a small baggie of my Bio Chunks, poke a few holes in it, and into her jewelry box it goes. Smell gone.

Now I did once take a full tube of BC, and dunk it into my tea trough (bubbling) for a few days to *activate* the beneficial organisms.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway, super easy to do.

• Like 2

Biochar does not need to be activated but is need to be inoculated for plant use.

I believe I wrote a section in the biochar link I posted on differences of activated charcoal and biochar and even show how to make activated charcoal.

Activated charcoal generally uses chemicals fyi.