•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BeachBud

Black Afghani

I thought I'd start a separate thread for the Black Afghani so it is easier to find for those only interested in it.

This USC creation is pure old school indica that spoke loudly to me when it was released. I was lucky enough to grab a pack before it was gone.

I started 3 seeds which all popped in 2 days and were then potted in 16 oz. cups. After 10 days they were ready to up-pot to 1 gallon pots and that is where I start this report. The 3 BA's are in the back with a couple of saxo's TulaBerries in front.

gallery_7905_6032_169786.jpg

Fast forward 11 days and the BA's are growing like weeds. Big fat leaves and tight internode spacing on these babies.

gallery_7905_6032_26422.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_83074.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_171071.jpg

Jump another 9 days ahead and it's time to up-pot again, this time to 2 gallon pots. I am able to determine that BA #1 is female but the other 2 aren't showing yet. The BA's are the 3 on the right side below.

gallery_7905_6032_119059.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_43609.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_132425.jpg

A week later and I up-potted BA #1 to a 5 gal. pot and wait for the other two to show sex. It looks like one of them is male but not sure about either yet so I put them to 12's yesterday to hurry the process. I'll keep the girl in veg for another week or so when I'll have more space in the flower room.

So, that catches you up on this grow so far. I'll have an update in a few days, cya then.

• Like 17

Hi beach

I wish I was lucky enough to grab a pack

I'll just have to sit here and watch if you don't mind

Beautiful looking plants bro

Papalag

• Like 3

nice grass dude !!

Very interested by this BA !!

I'm sure you will handle with care !

See you !

• Like 3

Cool u make a separate thread for those black beauties, I'll follow for sure. Hope cristalin is restocking them :)

Greeetz

• Like 2

Great looking plants Beach!

All three Black Afghani's look very similar... almost like clones. This looks to be a well bred cross.

Saxo's TulaBerries are a good addition to this grow... another well bred cross.

Little plants with fat leaves is a great indication of what's to come... and I can't wait to watch them grow up with you and everyone else!

• Like 6

Thanks to one and all for the words of encouragement. :verrygood And a special thanks to Cristalin for making this grow possible. :grinning_respect:

• Like 3

I, too, saw they were back in stock. Maybe for longer this time around?

Back with a quick update on the BA's.

It looks like I have another girl :jump: unless my eyes deceive me. I'll know for sure real soon.

The girl I'm sure of has the veg area all to herself and she is diggin' all that LED light. She is (and the other 2) 32 days above ground and about 14" tall. BA #2, the one I think is female is still in a #2 pot and only about 10" tall. I'll up-pot her once confirmed female.

gallery_7905_6032_100860.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_101323.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_60318.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics but there are a bunch of internodes under all that leaf.

Here's the likely girl...

gallery_7905_6032_86027.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_264963.jpg

And, here's the dude.

gallery_7905_6032_90265.jpg

Gonna give the vegging BA another few days before she goes to 12's cause I'm not sure she'll get much stretch. I'll up-pot the likely girl when I'm sure and leave her in the flower room. She won't be as big but that's OK.

I'll take several cuts from BA #1 before she goes to 12's.

That's it for now, thanks for stopping by. :tu

• Like 11

I've got a beast about 2 weeks in flower and it looked/s like all of yours.

I'm seeing some great stability so far with this line.

• Like 3

I've got a beast about 2 weeks in flower and it looked/s like all of yours.

I'm seeing some great stability so far with this line.

Curious how much stretch you are seeing with yours?

Not much strech at all yet. And i don't expect much based on what I'm seeing.

I'll take a pic soon .

She's been veging for weeks tho.

And no color. I'm under MH now but will switch to HPS in a day or two.

• Like 2

Yeah, they look very pretty! I'm excited how they produce and If u get some colours. U plan to lower the temps in the end of the flowering cycle?

Greetz

Yeah, they look very pretty! I'm excited how they produce and If u get some colours. U plan to lower the temps in the end of the flowering cycle?

Greetz

I don't plan to intentionally lower temps but they will be finishing in late November or early December so we might have some cold nights then.

I am not really concerned if they turn black or even dark, I'm more interested in the pure Afghani smoke.

• Like 7

Turns out who I thought was a dude was in fact a girl so all 3 of the Black Afghani are female. :)

It took 6 weeks, 5 days of which were spent in the flower room for BA's # 2 & 3 to show sex. BA #1 on the other hand showed after only 4 weeks in veg. As you look at these 3 in the pics below you can see how much difference 2 weeks more veg time makes.

BA #1 was up-potted to a #5 pot after 4 weeks in veg and was then given another 2 weeks veg time. BA's # 2 & 3 remained in #2 pots until they were sexed at 6 weeks, then they were up-potted to #5's and remained in the flower room.

Black Afghani #1 @ 9 days 12's

gallery_7905_6032_48051.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_21808.jpg

Black Afghani #2 @14 days 12's

gallery_7905_6032_107764.jpg

Black Afghani #3 @ 14 days

gallery_7905_6032_144496.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_20672.jpg

As you can see these will respond well to timely up-pots and a longer veg time. Some differences could be phenotype related but I have a feeling this cross is pretty consistent trait wise.

Some use of spreaders is helpful to push the lower and mid branches away from the stalk to open it up some.

So, now we wait and see what they turn into. Cya next time. :wave:

• Like 7

BB they are beauties..i grew afghan for years and they sure look like what I had..

a little something on the spreding them..i use lead fishing sinckers and weights from a old throw net..lol it works..

nice show..been a long time since I saw a true one grow.. :showoff: :showoff: :wave:

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing Beach! I was really interested when I saw this one come out. This should be good as you have a way of getting the most out of a plant.

On another note, my Chuckle Cheese has been in a cold rain for 4 days, and has some serious purple leaves full of trichs coming out on the buds on the lower branches. Hope it warms up to finish it outdoors to the end. Pics soon.

Best vibes on these babies!

PeAce

mrG

• Like 3

It's been a good week of growth for the BA's. I did some pruning and spreading of branches last week and it helped to open them up. So far in roughly 3 weeks they have stretched from just under 1x for BA #1 who is now 29" to just over 1x for BA #3 now 32" with BA #2 at 30". I get the smell of coffee from the young buds.

I see some variation in all 3 but for the most part they are very similar. I pollinated a branch on BA #1 this past week with some TulaBerry pollen. I really like the looks of the TB and am curious how much impact it will have on these well established genes.

BA #1

gallery_7905_6032_220718.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_145208.jpg

BA #2

gallery_7905_6032_153694.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_197303.jpg

BA #3

gallery_7905_6032_208117.jpg

gallery_7905_6032_14136.jpg

Now the fun begins, let's see how they flower.

• Like 13