questions about finishing and rain.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Argo630

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

My buddy sent me a pic of his plant (a cross i made that I am are excited about now ha ha) Royal Blue from royal queen crossed with a Master Kush from sensi seeds.

He was wanting to know if he should cover the plants when it rains he lives in seattle and i told him to try and let the plant go for as long as he can. he will be fighting time vs mold, PM and weather but i haven't grown OD much before so I don't know how to answer him. Any pointers?

Posted Image

Thanks in advance Cheers.
"Seeds are a great thing"

#2 Justcozz

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, 4 wheeling, dirt bikes, hunting, fishing, anything with friends and family.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

I can't offer a good answer to your question, but the plant looks amazing. And what a beautiful dog, looks almost exactly like the malamute I had as a teen. Great job on the cross
It's not always just Cozz, sometimes it is a Just cozz

https://www.opengrow...to-share-a-bit/

#3 islayhearts

Sir Chunks A Lot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:45 PM

I haven't done much outdoor myself but if he can cover it when storms come thru, it can't hurt. Will only help I would imagine. I have seen guys go out after a big storm with leaf blowers to get as much water of the plant as they can.

#4 Pedro Bann

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

I would be covering before rain, both rain and the leaf blower would break trichs off and having them wet would greatly improve the chance of mould.

#5 tacman7

Lazy Pig Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Making Music with my Computer, Working in the wood-shop.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

Heavy rain will break the plants in half, pretty much wipe them out.

Few years ago I had a crop severely damaged by a freak storm, I grow under plastic now for my main grow.

I still grow some outside of the green house though, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

I wouldn't cover them like throw a tarp on them or anything like that.

If you have a structure you could put over them...

But they got that size in that area so they're doing fine.

That's a really nice plant!

About when to harvest...

I take close up pictures of the buds and look at the condition of the tricombs.

I want them to be over ripe for medicine, more cdb's and less THC.

Some people want the opposite so you would harvest for your needs.

https://www.alchimia...chome-ripeness/

#6 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4152 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

I would not push it but if wanted I follow tacman7 lead on this.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#7 wisecalyx

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, artistic outlets, playing music, learning.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

Pretty much what everyone posted. If you do cover them, you will indeed need air flow though. I'm not talking leaf blower directly on plant but there will definitely need to be some sort of air flow constantly moving. Ever been to a concert that was in a tent of sorts? It rains and then the humidity gets crazy within the tent. I've seen people use tarps, tents and erectable gazebos but didn't add cross air flow and the amount of humidity accumulating did more than just letting them get rained on.

And shaking/ blowing on them hard will force water deeper into a bit, so IMO let em dry natural if/when these later rains come.
Thankful for all the breeders who allow me to cultivate such wonderful relationships ;)

#8 wisecalyx

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

In all honesty, I'd be most worried about the lower section of the plant. Doesn't appear to be trimmed out and up. There are other plants directly under the base and touching. In all honestly there is where I would be most worried. Doesn't appear the inside gets much air flow, especially with the other cover plants so close.

Beauty of a plant though, I would suggest next year manicuring the plant for OD (trim out the middle, remove some fan leaves and trim up the bottom go allow air flow to move not only across the plant, but through and up the plant.

I never cover my plants (albeit not in Seattle) but have a very humid fall and usually have late rains). Mold is unavoidable to a small extent but at large rather preventable with a few steps during veg mentioned above.

If you have a male of the cultivar I'd suggest dusting a branch (perhaps next year... too late now) And growing those progeny OD and keep doing that each year (just a small branch) so you can instill some nature in it's coding. MY OD cultivars have been getting line bred OD for varying generations, surprising to see how much nature can influence the genetic switches and not only geneotypical but phenotypical expressions. You will see it become more and more acclimated to your area each season.
Thankful for all the breeders who allow me to cultivate such wonderful relationships ;)

#9 DesertGrown

All around plant guy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • Interests:Everything cannabis.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

The plants just need to be covered enough to keep the majority of the rain off them while they finish flowering.

Botrytis (bud rot) is a very real problem in wet/humid climates and can destroy all of your hard work in a matter of days. Don't let this happen to you, cover those plants before it starts to rain on them and save yourself some grief. Harvesting something is better than nothing at all.
CANNABIS will get you through times of NO MONEY better than MONEY will get you through times of NO CANNABIS

#10 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4796 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

I am also concerned but I don't live I a rainy climate..

my plants are not ready and I am afraid rain and cool nights ,hot days may lead to mold..

this last storm took some nice branches as they are bulking up..

good luck with yours... :wave:

#11 wisecalyx

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Good call on mentioning storms/ wind/ hail damage. Good support is essential. A variety of means to accomplish. Caging, netting, stakes and bondage can all be utilized. With training and training having that rigid structure can also allow for better air flow.

#12 wisecalyx

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

bigun, sorry to hear about your branches, always a bummer when that happens. Did they come clean off or were they attached? Have had this happen and they were barely attarched and repaired up nice. Some just by the bark and somehow still finished when tying them up.

Had it happen in veg before as well, took the branch off and hurried it 3/4 like a tomato, shit cloned outside lol.

#13 Billman

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking,Fishing,Yoga and of course toking

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

For what its worth I pulled 7 plants today in advance of Hurricane Jose not afraid of wind but that water would ruin some nice plants. Checked the crystals under a scope and partially cloudy so figured close enough. Agree with the logic, of getting what you can from the grow instead of chancing losing it all.

Good Luck & Peace
Billman
....Be Cool!

#14 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4796 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

@wisecalyx....no they didn't break off entirely..
oe of the larger ones I had to bind with some electrical wire..the smaller ones I cut and are now drying for some test smoke..lol

Billman..I also took a couple of the large ones..we have forcast for rain tomorrow evening..worst time for moisture especially when they are huge buds that are tight together..they could have gone another week but I am "scared" to loose it all..lol

#15 Billman

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking,Fishing,Yoga and of course toking

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:17 AM

Bigun,
Pulled 5 Lazy Larry last week because of some rot, the structure was dense on them so the rot was not unexpected. But when checking my Strawberry Blues that are open and airy i was disappointed to find a bit of rot starting so that played heavy into my decision to chop. First time I seriously tried outdoor for me this year and learned a lot, it was different and very interesting and rewarding. However its just like indoor when it comes to when to pull, every situation is different and your circumstance will determine the time.

Argo360.....I always try to help my friends when they ask for help but "when to pull" is always a tough question unless you've grown the strain or been involved from the get go. What works for you and me is what we would advise but I'm on the east coast so giving advice to Seattle grower can only be generalizations for sure.
....Be Cool!

#16 Bubbla

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, Growing, Music, Funkadelic, Collecting Seeds, Women, Weed, Landrace Hash, Dogs & Pot Noodles...

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

Like Bigun, I had to crop some tops off my Durban, mine were milky too so no worries there.

I'm in the UK where summers can go from a few days of sunshine to rain in the blink of an eye & the weathers backwards. I never cover my plants preferring to weed out the weak & keep the strong. you can't here, weathers too unpredictable, a lot of us outdoor growers here just leave the plant as long as possible.. I'm not really in favour of defoliation but you may want to strip away some fan leaves for air flow. It's a shame we can't all live in a perfect environment. If you chuck something over them, you'll get high humidity.

Peace

B