starting my journey to the land of organics

7 replies to this topic

#1 jamaican bud

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

hello fellow og family. hope all is well with everyone. Im starting my journey to organics. I'm just tired of the bs that comes with the damn synthetics now. still gonna give sannies mix a try next run, but this run I'm diving into the coot mix. i see lots of people on the site is familiar with this style grow. agp wassup, i see you. organic obsession, shoeless, y'all doing y'all thing. just wanna make sure I'm getting started off on the right foot. gonna be using sphagnum peat moss, 1:1 compost/castings, 1:1 rice hulls/pumice. making bout 13 cu ft. got the coot mix from another site. according to them theres no need to let the soil cook after mixing, but still gonna sit for bout a week give or take. was talking to the company and told them i was planning on running 20 5gallon buckets. they said they wouldn't advise doing that, but would recommend using atleast 15 gal buckets. sucks as i already have about 40 5 gallon buckets ( kicks myself for runnings sannies stuff at that point lol). wish me luck on this run. I'm mixing the soil tomorrow. probably planting bout thursday. strains are 88 ghash x neville super kush, f13 x chem d, and fire alien kush. pics coming soon. any advice would be greatly appreciated
Everything happen for a reason, for every action theres a re-action, and for every chain theres a weakest link

Society, please dont condemn the ghetto to hell

Di best comes from the worst.. Today fi you, tomorrow fi me

#2 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4152 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

I see no reason why a 5 gallon would not work. Seems so odd they would say that so I am thinking I am missing something.

Keep your castings at around 10 to 20 percent of your mix overall. You get to a point of no return and can actually make things worse but frankly I have used far greater % in the past with no issues but I give the best practice advice. You can top dress with castings once a month throughout the grow as well.

I would add some biochar to the mix, be sure to inoculate it.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#3 jamaican bud

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

hempy whats going on. same thing i said. to the point of me even asking the guy how bout if i was to throw 3 plants in the 15 gal to get the same amount of plants in that i wanted, he said only 1 plant per 15 gal tub. cool so now that i know i could run the 5 gals thats a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. if my calculations serve me correctly, castings would be about 17% of the total mix. glad I'm in the right range. would u recommend top dressing or making teas? or both? gotta build me one of those ACT devices soon. also, i was listening to a podcast with coot on it. he was against using bio char stating that theres no real need as its not really what they say it is. imma search for the file and get back to ya on that. cant remember exactly what was said. i was so for bio char until i heard that.
Everything happen for a reason, for every action theres a re-action, and for every chain theres a weakest link

#4 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4152 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

In that is likely everything you want to know and then some. I would top dress and use teas but check out all that information and then I can better help when you have a question.

The aspect of biochar can be partially true as it depends on the use. For a one and done with soil, I agree it is not needed but for reusing soil, it is a must in my book! As everything their is often half truths in pod casts and such as only so much time.

In these compilations I have tried very hard to give complete information in easy to understand method to the way to much.
http://culturalheali...4-garden-earth/

Let me know of any questions though after Monday I will be offline for a bit and unsure how long.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#5 jamaican bud

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

https://youtu.be/gW96L6Qycms

think i may have it confused. excuse me as all this organic terminology is new to me. i see that about 6:00 he reference forest humus is nothing more than a code word for saw dust due to the fact that they aren't allowed to harvest but so much legally and still have a year round demand to meet.

on that note, i will be purchasing it, cause like you said, its a once and done situation. could only help it either way u look at it.

i love that link bro. sooo much info. gonna be digging in it tonight. do appreciate the help hempy. i too am i hempy fan. this organic grow will be the first grow in years thats not hempy buckets. love them.

#6 Papalag

Old school hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hi JB
Welcome to the organic club

I fine smoother smoke and better taste

I also top dress and use teas as well

The mix I use I let cook for about a month

Good luck bro
Peace
Papalag

#7 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4152 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

I do not agree with much of what they say on many levels but they are not wholly wrong either.

Using forest compost and sea compost is your best practice for us, we want a fungal and bacterial component.
  • Generally you want a % of brown and green overall and does not wholly matter where that comes from, generically stated. To help learning, I will let that stand so that people can search what brown and green means in composting ingredients.
  • However finished forest compost and finished sea compost is spot when mixed together as a single compost.
If you look at the compost postings in the link I posted their is no better knowledge in my view.
  • Search Elaine Ingham in regards to compost. She is one of the leading edges of knowledge on that.
My knowledge does not generally come from a cannabis background but a horticultural one. A vast majority of cannabis teaching is not whole and/or is corrupt..

#8 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1907 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

Welcome to the "Light" side Jamaican! I'll agree to all above. I'd love to grow in 15 gallon, too, but they would be trees. So, kind of depends on that for me. I was wondering if you were growing inside or outdoors. Must be outside for him to say that. If you were using buckets and not air pots, outside, you might cook your roots... I've done that. Air pots are great, but take much more water. I use 5 gal smart pots right now and I water a gallon a day outside.

You'll find that once you get some of the organics philosophy down, it's actually much easier and less feeding than synthetics. I just started last year myself and it makes so much sense, and the better we get at understanding, much of the organic ingredients can be had for free or much cheaper if you learn where to find them in nature.

Good luck and best vibes, bro. I think you'll be hooked like the rest of us. I still have much to learn, but the journey is a blast, and the resulting smoke is awesome.

PeAce

MrG

"Welcome to Dankville, son"

US VETERANS FOR LEGALIZATION OF CANNABIS