•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

GreenJesus

need help with my seedlings

hi,

300 watt led 12 inches away from seedlings sprouted in a 5 gal pot. seedling is ten days old and is in Levington multi purpose compost with added john innes. was thinking light burn or nute burn, your thoughts?

unnamed

unnamed 1

unnamed 2

unnamed 3

unnamed 4

Hi GJ

Looks like the nute burn

Or the soil is to hot

I leave mine in smaller pots an light soil mix till they get a bit bigger

Just my 2 cents bro

Good luck

Papalag

• Like 2

I agree with Papa on this one.

The brown leaf tips are caused by nute burn. Your plant will get through it with more water and less nutes at this stage of its life.

Which John Innes formula did you use to mix with the compost? You may have created a medium that is a little too hot for seedlings and your plant is suffering because of it. Mediums that are too hot can cause other problems such as nutrient deficiencies and/or pH lockout.

Consider transplanting it into a smaller container with a lighter medium until it gets closer to maturity. That will give it time to correct itself and grow a sufficient rhizosphere. Mature plants can handle a more diverse medium better than younger plants.

That plant is still a little young for needing any regular feeding, give it time to develop a good root system before attempting to feed it... you don't want to burn the new, emerging root hairs... they are how the plant uptakes water and food.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

• Like 2

I agree with Papa on this one.

The brown leaf tips are caused by nute burn. Your plant will get through it with more water and less nutes at this stage of its life.

Which John Innes formula did you use to mix with the compost? You may have created a medium that is a little too hot for seedlings and your plant is suffering because of it. Mediums that are too hot can cause other problems such as nutrient deficiencies and/or pH lockout.

Consider transplanting it into a smaller container with a lighter medium until it gets closer to maturity. That will give it time to correct itself and grow a sufficient rhizosphere. Mature plants can handle a more diverse medium better than younger plants.

That plant is still a little young for needing any regular feeding, give it time to develop a good root system before attempting to feed it... you don't want to burn the new, emerging root hairs... they are how the plant uptakes water and food.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Hi GJ

Looks like the nute burn

Or the soil is to hot

I leave mine in smaller pots an light soil mix till they get a bit bigger

Just my 2 cents bro

Good luck

Papalag

Hi, thanks for the answers. it actually clarified a good bit. its in a 5 gal pot so I'm not sure how i could transplant it, as the roots are just growing freely. As for the john innes formula, it is a compost that came as is, i am not adding any extra nutes, and the compost was stated for tomato growing. it does feel a little heavy, as water doesn't drain quickly. as for the plant itself' what can i do at this point to help it recover without changing pots. i don't know how flushing would be, its a ten day old plant so i fear drowning it. by the rate of leaf burn, do think my plant could survive if kept in the same medium? is there a way to delay the burn until the plant grows strong enough? below is the picture of the current compost i am using.

Thank You,

GreenJesus

unnamed

Seeds always do better in a zero nutrient medium.

Coco,ProMix, heck to me even straight perlite is better to start a seed in.

The front of bags usually do NOT tell you squat it's on the back.

*If it's for tomatoes is probably to hot for starting cannabis.*

All the gardens I help set up, I found folks always do better building a root mass in smaller pots starting out and up-potting.

I prefer to up pot 3 times to a 5 gallon bucket myself.

Of course that is not written in stone, but in my experience, for folks just greening their thumb, up potting is your friend.

I find it almost impossible to water/feed/tea them properly, as when you see a bit of run off coming out the base of the pots, to when to stop. AND, when to water again, as I teach my gardeners to know the weight of the pot dry....and wet.

Again there are many ways man, I just like to keep things easy going myself.

Good luck, best to ya.

• Like 1

Hi bro

The reason for the small pots

In large pots people tend to over water the little ones and and at only 10 days old the roots have just started to travel a bit

On the soil I never used that one before

I like using any one that is a seed starting formula

Or lite mix hell I even use old soil in solo cups till there 3 weeks from seed then I up plant them

I start them in rapid rooters then into solo cups from there in to 1/2 gal pots till they sex then up pot to 5 gallon fabric bags

Just the way I do things

It's just easier to handle that way

Also I agree with the last 2 OG's

Web and DG are dead on

Peace

• Like 1

this is the soil i am using. also i would love any advice on how to have the seedling survive while in the same conditions, as repotting I'm afraid would kill a big portion of roots.

Screen Shot 2017 10 01 At 3.04.41 Pm

Screen Shot 2017 10 01 At 3.05.01 Pm

Your plants might just grow out of it. The upper leaves don't seem to be burned.

Those labels seem to indicate there are nutrients in the compost, but they won't say how much -- probably because it's highly variable from batch to batch.

I did see the front of the bag says, "with added John Innes." Did John fall into a wood chipper over at the compost factory? Maybe the seedlings wouldn't burn if they put a little less of that proprietary ingredient in there.

• Like 2

dude..there is only one Jesus..and u are not him..

come on now big's, play nice. he's spanish so might be pronouncing it hey-sus. and i don't think the first son of god, if he is in fact more than a story book character, wouldn't much care who used his name.

Papa's got it right, I'm on the cell phone and I'm not going to be back for a couple of weeks the reason for doing seedlings in the smaller container is because you want maximum growth quickly where they can absorb and it maintains the better humidity around the plant especially at that early stage it is never wise to start a Seedling in a large container specially 5 gallons that would be your end size pot. You will not harm those plants by transplanting there however if you are not gentle you may have a little bit of a delayed that is still more beneficial to continuing in the direction that you are in you have already lost potential yield if you should desire to continue the direction that you are in cover that soil up maintain the stem and leaves and or cover the top with film this will create a better humidity environment for seedlings as it is right now you plant wants to make grow must make roots to support growth it does not currently have enough leaves to do what you think it will do once again I'm on a cell phone sorry for the wall of text and I'm talking into this thing

• Like 1

The reason I asked about which John Innes formula you used is because there are 4 different formulas;sowing, No.1, No.2 & No.3. They are all made with loam, sand, peat and varying amounts of fertilizer.

As with all fertilizer formulas, some are better geared towards growing cannabis than others.

Tomato ferts have an abundance of nitrogen in them... this will burn a young plants roots and keep them from growing properly.

Nute burn is a direct affect of too much nitrogen, or other nutrients, in the root zone.

The plant will try to uptake these nutrients and it will quickly cause harm to the plant. The leaf tips turn yellow first, then brown or burned looking.

Flushing is an option to clean out some of the excess nutrients in your medium, but before I did that I would try giving it pH'd water and see if that helps at all.

Water will move the nutrients around better, within the medium, thinning them out a little more and may allow your plant to start growing normally.

Keep in mind that compost is constantly breaking down and releasing the nutrients found inside of it. The NPK of compost is usually minor, but adding fertilizer to it can make it hot, as too much nutrients will be made available to the plants roots... and plants never stop trying to uptake nutrients, they can't stop eating like we can.

• Like 3

Desert grown nailed

Go to learn about the nitrogen cycle and then you understand the science while you should not put a Seedling in a 5-gallon container I'm going to end up with too much ammonia depending on the amount of your starter nitrogen and that plays into what desert has said

I recommend learning about plant physiology and the environment but just some internet s***

Check out www.culturalhealingandlife@gmail.com

Has that info

• Like 2

[dude..there is only one Jesus..and u are not him.. ]

Whew!! Man I'm SOOO glad that was pointed out, I was sure the rapture had started.

• Like 1

Learning about the types of plants that you are, or want, to grow is something I would recommend.

We have some incredibly talented growers around here, with a wealth of grow related information that may lend a hand, but nothing beats doing your own research on the subject. You will retain much more subject information if you read about it yourself, then apply it.

Learning about all the nutrients and the proper amounts that are needed to grow these plants is actually a good read, albeit long, but good nonetheless and the information that you gain will serve you well and can be applied to any growing situation with any type of plant.

I've been an active, self-taught, horticulturist for most of my life(40+yrs) and I absolutely love to grow and be around plants... and help others learn to love it too.

I believe in helping fellow growers achieve their goals with honest, tried and true information, I won't pass on false plant info... ever! There's already enough of that going on in other forums and all over the Internet.

Bad information kills plants!

Stick with us brother... we'll help you achieve your goal!

• Like 4

Hey Man, how did the wee ones fair?

hi !

i flushed them with regular tap water and apparently the nute burn stopped, they grew very vigorously for a while up to the 5th node. the plant still looks very healthy and is growing nonstop, but i have noticed a stripe effect between the veins. i feel as if it is bleaching due to magnesium but i dont know how since my compost seems full of nutes. there are pics so id appreciate the advice. i recently started ph'ing my water to 6.0 instead of the regular tap water at 7.5.

plant age is 25 days from germination

PICS:

unnamed 4

unnamed 5

unnamed

unnamed 1

unnamed 2

Go to grow weed easy.com and look at their plant diagnosis guide.

I can't really see your pics very well try to get without the lights on it looks like you got a magnesium deficiency

Hey GJ,

they have come around just great!!

I'm not going to to advise you as I do not use soil for growing, well not indoors for me.

Very healthy looking girls man, now the hardest part, not loving them to death, well until flower is over....and we all did it, LOL!

• Like 1

Seedlings really dont need 300 watts 1 foot away. Id pull the light back another foot or two.

PS

And or turn the wattage down some.

• Like 1

I agree with corners

I her a t5 for seedlings ant step them up to cfl

Once I up pot

Peace

• Like 1