How to not ruin your plants in the drying stage.

8 replies to this topic

#1 jamin-303

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

I have a designated room for drying but the temps are too high in summer and too cold in winter. The humidity fluctuates greatly day to day depending on the weather. I really don't want to turn another large grow of dank into something that smells more like hay.

Should I use a domestic (not split system) ac unit? Or will this remove too much moisture from the room?

Or should I be thinking more of an ac unit and humidifier and heater?

#2 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Buy a temperature and humidity switch connect your AC to it and or connect dehumidifier to it as well

Thoes fluctuations not only going to risk in a incorrect drying but Also a potential mold issues even within the grow tent get your environment stabilizing favorable conditions

I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#3 Misterdirt

Quiet Desperado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8949 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR Heart Racing

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

What do you see as your problem, drying too fast or too slow?

If it's drying too fast and you clip off your fan leaves before drying, leave them on. Clip them off when you trim before curing. That will add some time to the drying process.

If things are going to slow, you will have to dehumidify in some way. If the area is small enough, you can use those packets people hang in closets to lower humidity.
Place no head above your own.
-- Gotama The Buddha

#4 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Mr. dirt said it well

Stability is key
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#5 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

I use a portable a/c unit and dehumidifier. I do as Misterdirt says, the leaves make a difference. If drying too quick do not trim the sweet leaf, if drying too slow, trim up the leaves.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#6 tacman7

Lazy Pig Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Making Music with my Computer, Working in the wood-shop.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

We only cut what we can trim, trimming fresh is much easier than dry.

I have drying racks for the broccoli and the humidity today is 22%. Most of the time it's 12%.

So a day or so on the rack then into the baskets. I turn them, open them, close them, and work with them to get them where I want them.

I put them in a big jar with a caliber III meter for a few day to know when they're ready to pack away for curing.

We used to grow for vaporizor which is 55% or so. Stable 55% won't mold and you need that moisture for vaping properly.

Now that we make Bhang we can go a lot dryer but I still do something around 45% maybe.

Too dry is finished and not for curing.

I've seen some commercial growers dry it to death then trim it and pack it away in baggies for sale.

Different strokes I guess.

#7 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

I like a slower dry but the rest I can agree on in the end it can be largely preference

I like how you explain to vaporizer humidity levels and how you do it but the other one most people do not take that in consideration and is infact which I consider to be of a amateur professional level to a professional level Bravo

#8 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Drying too fast or too much, makes it were there is no cure stage. The cannabis tastes and smells off when not dried properly.

I do that as well, I cut off sections of the plant, to keep the leaves from getting too wimpy to trim. At times I run out of oomp so I will hang it with leaves on, then trim dry. I like wet trimming much more then dry.

Very interesting about humidity level and vaping.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#9 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:47 AM

It is much easier to trim when it's wet but if you dry trim you'll get a little bit better weight