•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
kamut

ph and cotyledons?

My understanding of cotyledons is that they feed the plant during a time when it does not feed from soil/nutes. Does ph matter when the plant is feeding from the cotyledons? With the wrong ph, can you cause nutrient lockout from the cotyledons?

I grow my plants in coir with hydro nutes. I have not checked ph when watering the babies with plain water from the tap. However, I have had slower growth during this period and I'm wondering if ignoring ph is creating sub-optimum conditions. My tap water is higher ph than pot plants want.

Try adjusting the pH of your tap water and see if there's a difference. Nothing like bringing science into the situation.

I don't think it would cause "lock out" in the cotyledons, but it might slow them down in some other way by creating a hostile environment. They do grow slowly at first, anyway, so it might be just that.

• Like 2

It won't affect the cotyledons but it will affect the media environment and transpiration and root growth potentially.

Good pH is always important regardless if it's feeding or not feeding from the media it is about the microbiology and the chemical interactions within the media which pH plays a large Factor.

By having poor pH media, the media is essentially sick. As the plant begins to uptake it will begin to lose potential from the start. Doe not mean you will have crap if corrected but every stumble loses its potential.

This is generally a reason for lower yields, little stumbles but I speak to best practice and one learning should not be overly concerned with Stumbles

• Like 2