•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

olsqueak

How much aera with 200 watts,4pcs COB Cree cxb3590

Hello,I build a led light with HLG 185H C1400A drivers 2 pcs and 4 pcs COB Cree Cxb3590.

A friend say me than Cree Cxb3590 have good penetration and good Spectrum for grow and flower...

I think it's 200 watts Power total each Cxb3590 run at 50Watts.

What's aera I can use for this setup ? I have box 1 meter * 0.7 meter do you think it's ok ? I can cover more or not ?

I don't know if I grow Auto flower or Awesome Sannie's strains.

I can see some new auto perform very well in some grow report.

BIG UP,Have good Vibes.

Thank's for your,help,friendly,Olsqueak.

So you already have the COBs? The Cree are great but the latest "best" things are Vero 29 (whatever the newest generation is) and Samsung diodes on strips.

I make hermies at high CXB3590 wattage; 40Watts per square foot would be a good point, I think. The given tent is 7.4 square feet. Four COBs at 50W each means 27W per sq.ft. (Blame President Carter for not converting the US to metric--it's not my fault. :)) I've seen decent grows at that lighting level but more COBs were used, at a lower individual power.

• Like 2

Hello thanks do you think i can have better setup if i add 2 others Cob ?

Yes i have already buy the 4 Cob cxb3590 cree and the 2 drivers mean well hlg 185h c1400.

I can mix cree cxb3590 and Vero29 ? What's samsung diodes on strips ? I can grow 1 meter tall plants with this setup ?

Have good vibes,big up.

Friendly,Olsqueak.

Olsqueak informs me the COBs are the 72V version. The driver will support two of these COBs (in series) and max out the power of the supply at about 200W.

With regards to Vero and Samsung, I don't know what you can buy reasonably in your market and I haven't kept up with progress since CXB3590. Cree is overpriced these days. Samsung needs hardly any heatsinking. There are small companies at the rollitup forum that are selling these things. Different brands of LEDs can be mixed with no problem as far as the plants are concerned.

I think I'd build a parallel-series circuit using four 72V COBs on a single HLG-185H-C1400 (which yields 50W per COB). I'll be back with a drawing.

gallery_6205_5939_66645.jpg

• Like 1

If I understand well I must use only one hlg185hc1400a for run my 4 cxb3590 72V ? Series or parallel ? I must use series with this driver.

I keep my other hlg185hc1400a when I can buy 4 others cob.

Do you think 4 Vero29 72v 3500k is better than 4 cxb3590 ?

I must t make series and parallel,2 in series and 2 in parallel ?

gallery_6205_5939_80074.jpg

It will drive a pair in series just fine, I think. I haven't consulted the Cree data sheet or software to see exactly what the voltages will be at the various currents. The typical HLG driver performs better than the specs.

If you want to fill that tent with tall plants, I would use the second driver to build a second light using more COBs.

The Bridgelux Vero 29 comes in a variety of forward voltages that would be usable with that Mean Well. I mention Vero because it might be much cheaper but they might not be available in Europe. This is the Samsung technology; I haven't studied it (but it's just a different format): https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/

The 36V Cree CXB3070 is a very good COB when running at less than 50W. So if it's affordable, four of these in series would be a good second light. The results would be a bit more than 50W per square foot (in the 7.4sq.ft. tent). I wouldn't worry too much about hermies at that intensity. I saw little weird male spikes in the buds when they were right up close to the COBs. Still, maybe I'd turn the dimmers down so the eight COBs would be running closer to 40W each.

So with two luminaires containing four COBs each (sufficiently spread apart), there would be plenty of coverage for the plants with lots of overlap--COBs give a lot of side light.

• Like 2

I think 100 watts for one cxb3590 72v is not good because too much heat I use one PC processor ventirad for each cob.

I need to order 4 others cob for my other driver hlg185hc1400a.

Can you send me series parallel montage for my setup ?

Thanks for all your help

Right, you want good cooling if running @ 100W each. This is the range where CX_3590 Cree is superior but growers are preferring to use multiple COBs at lower power.

I've been editing--does the circuit in post #6 show up?

• Like 1

Why the plants turn hermie with high power COB ?

They're stressed by light too much powerful ?

I can read than cob light is better for plant grow than hps it's true ?

I have cxb3590 72v i can run each at 100watts but a a friend member say me it's not good choice because plants turn hermie...

Do you have seen this problem ? It's for all strains ?

Thanks before for your help

Running a COB at 100W would require mounting it up high, probably higher than your tent ceiling. Besides cooling the COB, the electrical efficiency is better at lower power.

I had a major (dumb) light leak up until my last two grows. And my last two grows I didn't pay much attention to (but yielded 10oz of Boudica the last run). After smoking about 7oz of it I've only found two fully formed (white) seeds but the bud is riddled with what I call proto-seeds, stuff that will crackle when smoked in a bowl. So I do a lot of micro cleaning of my bud which is very annoying--but I've encountered the same thing from store-bought bud (here in the state of Washington).

So hermies (intersexed plants, more accurately) are caused by genetics and/or stress. I don't know what the intensity of my last grow was but I've turned down the dimmers on all my luminaires. I've always blasted a bunch of LEDs at my plants and they finish very early but I have to believe it is kind of a stress (although they are fine plants in a room with good HVAC--and I never use the air conditioner).

I wouldn't say COB light is better than HPS, necessarily. I'd say COB is usually a better solution but a situation might need the IR heat of HPS. My friend has grown stuff under 600W HPS that I don't think I could grow better under COBs.

I'd like to know a strain that is hermie resistant.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT5ivLc3ZFY This video show you Awesome Harvest with CXB3590.

1627 Grammes for 850 watts it's aprox 2 grammes for 1 Watts,i think it's very good....

Perlaps it's the strain who has a problem or you have this several times with few strains ?

What's your strains who turn Hermie ? You can smoke the hermie ?

When I grow under hps I always have some seeds in my buds, but just a little numbers (I think self polinated ) the buds are good for smoking no problem.

If you can't smoke the buds it's BIG problem.

I make test running cxb3590 72V 100watts each,(2*cxb3590 in hlg-185h-c1400a) for looking if they're well Cooled with my Active Ventirad.

On 3 minutes Ventirad is not Hot when I touch it.Perlaps I must let ON more longer for ventirad become hot? Fans,always ON when COB running.

How Close from Top plants I must place the COB if I run each at 100Watts using 4*cxb3590 72V with 2 drivers HLG-185h6C1400A (400Watts in 1 meter*0.7meter grow box) ?

All help is welcome for my first home made COB light grow.

Hope I read you soon.Have good Vibes.

BIG UP Thank's for all your help,friendly,Olsqueak.

I run luminaires for a least twenty minutes before judging their thermal management but yours sound good so far. And these COBs were made for street lights, etc, so they are quite thermally rugged. They live longer at lower operating temperatures but probably not enough to matter for a grower.

I suspect most polyhybrids have problems with hermies but I'm just supposing. For that matter, most(?) landrace sativas start intersexing at the end of a long flower season. Boudica and Boudica/Sugar Punch is what I grew the last two times. I don't want to slander either of these but the Sugar Punch seemed a little more sensitive, making more proto seeds. A lot of people smoke it (proto seed weed)--I've always finely manicured the bud I smoke.

For how high to hang a 100W CXB3590 COB, I'd say aim for 40W per square foot. The viewing angle spec is about 110 degrees but let's call it ninety. Assuming 100W covers 2.5 sq. ft. in a circular pattern, the 0.9 foot radius of the circle equals the height of the cob above the flat surface (SCROG plants, say). So for a single COB, I'd say a foot clearance is good and safe. If you spread out your four CXB3590 over the space of your tent, I can see you having good results. I'll post the viewing angle from Cree.

(The 110 degrees I spoke of is the included angle: 55 + 55)

gallery_6205_5939_79936.jpg

[understandably, olsqueak would want some reassurance his beautiful yellow COBs will not get blown up.]

Have you run two COBs in series on that driver? If the driver can handle that, it will handle four COBs in parallel series. The only potential issue I can see is that when first turned on, the low diode temperature causes the highest voltage for the driver to overcome (but I'm quite sure the Mean Well will work). No harm will come to the diodes, anyway.

I have connected two 72V CXA3590 in parallel driven by a HLG-80H-C700A; works great! Cree cautions against parallel connections but that applies to high power situations where an open (malfunction) in one branch forces all the driver current into the remaining branch of the circuit, frying it.

Problem with series/parallel connecting is the thermal instability when driving the leds hard.

If one pair gets hotter, it will draw more current, heat up some more... and so on until something melts or fries.

I was running hlg 240h-36a drivers with 6 cxb's parallel @1amp each, so i had no real issues, but Im guessing that running them harder would bring trouble..

I dont like the led-buzz in my weed, so after a lot of testing/trying its all gone... Im back to hps-weed.

Yield was huge... if I was a commercial grower i'd go all LED, but the product just doesnt do it for me, so I sold off just about all the led-gear.

[update to olsqueak] "Jerry" at Kingbrite is just saying what my only concern was (concerning the driver and two 72V COBs in series)--the circuit voltage is a little bit outside the published design specifications. Because you already run a pair in series, we know the driver can handle it. By adding two identical COBs in parallel, the circuit voltage remains the same but each COB will only receive half as much current.

And yes, it is very possible to mix 36V and 72V COBs on the same driver. If using a parallel design, each branch must be identical. Of course, the 36V units will put out about half as much light as the 72V.

Good advices ledfoot!

To answer op question... 200w is not enough for your area, but could still be ok.

I suggest 250-300w for you. I use 6 cxb3590@50w for 120x60, dimmed to 250w and sometimes full power.

200w is great for veg but maybe just a bit too few for flowering.

Cheers