•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
olsqueak

Why,Cob cxb3590 high power turn plants hermie ?

Hello,a friend member say me than cob can turn plants hermie i want understand why ?

I read COB are better than hps for grow plants and don't stress the plants like HPS ? 4 pcs cxb3590 72v with 2*200watts drivers in this setup each cob 100 watts.Cooled by processor pc Ventirad.

My friend member say me than is better use 4 cxb3590 on 200 watts driver because hig power cxb3590 can turn plants hermie.

It's first times I read than cxb3590 high watts can turn plants hermie....

If it's true I need to order news COB (perlaps 4 pcs, Vero29 3500K 36V) for my other driver HLG-185H-C1400A or others COB depend the price.

Have Good Vibes,BIG UP.

All Help is Welcome for my first COB Grow.

Thanks for your help friendly,Olsqueak.

https://www.opengrow...043_2549550.jpg

Link picture of my first home made COB cxb3590 cooled by ventirad PC processor.

No light turns a plant hermie all by itself. The biggest factor in hermies is the genetics of the plant.

Stress can influence a plant to hermie, but only if the genetics are predisposed to it. LED's ARE prone to light stress a plant, as their spectrums are often extremely strong, and can cause light burn and bleaching.

Of all the strains I've ever grown, and I've stressed the heck out of lots of them, Kali Mist and Sannies Jack are the only two strains I've ever had hermie on me, and they will hermie dramatically under too much heat, OR, too much light. But even most of those two strains are very stable.

Over 10 years, and hundreds of plants, I can count on one hand the hermies I've seen. Fugetaboutit!

• Like 1

I use 12 CXB3590 in a Homebox 1x1x2m, 3 bars with 4 CXB in a row, passiv cooled.

To make it real effcieny I dim each bar to 100 Watt.

This set up replaces a 400Watt HPS.

I have no problems with Hermies but I have to say I don´t use the full power.

Don´t think it´s the light that bring probs, it´s more genetics thing.

[I read COB are better than hps for grow plants and don't stress the plants like HPS ?]

To me, that statement is just something an advertiser would say about it's product, that can not be proven one way or the other.

Lights like Halogen, or the old mercury vapor, do not get close in the electromagnetic wave length for plant growth.

I'm not knocking LED's, I've spent the huge amount of money to use a flowering array for 4-5 years.

I also did exactly what everyone else did and that was to use them like HPS/MH/T-5 lights, *get them as close as possible*.s

That caused me a lot of issues, once I placed it as high as possible did I see the results, I knew had to be there, as I use my light meter whenever I rearrange my lights, unless I'm over powering a space with light.

Just my $.02

• Like 2

What web said. You can use any light in a grow space as long as you can control the heat, AND, have enough height to get the plant far enough away from the top of your plants. I like 3-4 feet, and led works great.

The days of putting 600 watt HPS 12 inches from your plants are over!!! Look at the Colorado 5000 plant grow ops, all their lights are 4-5 feet above the plants. Why? Because a light mounted to an eight foot ceiling is still more lumens than a plant can ever use.

When you try and "drive" a plant too hard, with too much, you are committing the fatal mistake of all amateur growers, assuming more is better. Just like nutrients, when you give a plant too much light, it messes up other environmental factors, like heat, humidity, and water consumption, more is not better.

Thanks for your help.

I put my cob light at 3 or 4 feet from the top plants.

I hope the plants like it.

Big up, friendly, Olsqueak.

You did good by raising the lights now watch and see if the plants begin to stretch for the light if they do slowly lower the lights every few days until the plant stops behaving in that manner

It is about the environment not the light or the nutrition as much heat and humidity and air flow is most important

It is not true that a light will cause hermie but the stress from too much heat and improper humidity and lack of airflow will do much to cause a Hermie

I do not know your light but I do not believe it will be an issue as long as your environment is good.

Post weekly pictures of your plant and we will tell you to go up or down with your light additionally give temperature and humidity readings that canopy level and as they grow take temperature and humidity readings middle and bottom of the plant. That is important in determining how tall you can effectively grow quality plants

Hello,now i must mount my grow box 1m*0.7m,with extractor fan and temperature controler.

Put the 400watts cob on at max power looking if my PC active cooling Ventirad keep the cob at good temperature.

If temperature box is ok i can add the plant.

Thanks for all your help friendly Olsqueak