•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
olsqueak

Buds quality LEDs VS HPS ?

it is very hard to just judge yet by the Light and your environment and nutrition temperature and humidity and just means the world

• Like 2

Well said, as always! Boy, I so recall the pissing matches of even five years ago over led vs HPS. BUT, consider what's happened in that time!!! Pots become legal in what, 4-5 states recreationally, and it's not a kids game anymore for hobby growers, it's a mean, aggressive, "I'm going to get mine" entrepreneurs game amounting to billions. Money is the mother of invention, and there is enormous capital chasing the cannabis market. Business sense demands reducing production costs, and the largest recurring cost is POWER!

The issue driving lighting innovation is power consumption! I'm in Colorado, a lot, and communities are having power grids taxed to the max from 5000 plant HPS grow ups, and 50 grand per month power bills, which can't continue. The innovations in lighting technology have been rapid, necessary, and impressive. All environmental control expenses decrease when heats no longer a factor, too.

Why, in another year, they'll have 60 watt incandescent bulbs that equal 1000 HPS setups! (Ok, that might be my Holy Princess talking there, lol).

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Greenhouse growing will be the wave of the future. Greenhouses with supplemental lighting will beat all other lighting technologies in terms of power consumption.

• Like 2

it is very hard to just judge yet by the Light and your environment and nutrition temperature and humidity and just means the world

How true, with heat sources being the primary variable in maintaining environment. I just got tired of fighting the heat with HPS in small spaces. In fact, I'm getting more solid results with LED's, probably due to a more conducive grow environment. Everything is steadier, with water consumption way down once I eliminated the heat issues.

• Like 1

This is something I have to research, if I ever get up enough money going to upgrade my rooms and make them larger, with the heat aspect and savings on electric steering toward LEDs. If water input is less as well, win.

• Like 2

This is something I have to research, if I ever get up enough money going to upgrade my rooms and make them larger, with the heat aspect and savings on electric steering toward LEDs. If water input is less as well, win.

LED's seem to be holding their prices on quality stuff, to replace a 600 HPS, you need 250-350 true watts of LED, roughly, some will pull more. But I've got to say, the ones I have can light burn plants at 18 inches, they are very powerful. You're looking at about 600 and up to get something you'd want, but the pay back is faster than you think, under a year in most cases. I spent hours researching LED's, before finally saying, screw it, and buying Advanced Platinum, to get my feet wet. They work so well, I'm keeping them. The Spyder's and Illumitex array's are the shit, both out of Austin. I know tech heads are building them for much less, but that's beyond my pay grade or desire.

In summer, my LED's run about 75-85, with HPS I fight to keep it under 85-90. In winter, LED runs 70-72 with NO exhaust fan, HPS would still be 82-86 with fans full speed, so their's an easy 10 to 15 degree variable between the two. Difference is, with HPS, I've got way overkill fans, sealed hood, and hot spot diffusers, just got to be a pain in the ass to manage the environment.

Oh!!! Just got my power bill today, and for the first time in like, well, I started growing, lol, I am one of the most energy efficient homes in my neighborhood.

• Like 2

200W COB-LED's replace a 400w HPS with good results, while 600w LED

replacing 600w HPS is a complete overkill and can give unsatisfying results.

a few people aim for the stars while the heaven is already enough ...

imo, it's better to use LED as a replacement for power to save energy.

i am checking on growing with (much cheaper) floodlights atm.

veg in a DR90 under 100w LED flood-light = so far so good :)

• Like 5

Never seen led floodlight before. Mostly halogen, which are not so good. Nice find :)

That is good info to know, what size to replace with. I can only run one HPS at a time, need upgraded electric. When I get the larger rooms, I got rid of my kiln so going to switch to 220. Take this one thing at a time, cause I need to think about flooring as well. How does LED work with 220? LOL OK I sound dumb, cause I do not set up my rooms so I am dumb about it lol.

• Like 1

I like CMH, ceramic metal halide best.

Heat signature is similar to LED and bulbs last longer than HPS and very close to full spectrum.

A serious example from the jungle boys using using CMH lighting. https://www.instagra...m/luxxlighting/

• Like 4