•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
mushaboom

Help me determine pH of grow medium

friends,

what is the best way to find the pH of a soil-less mixture (coco+fox farm soils?)

in this case, the mix consists roughly of 1/3 coco (roots brand) , 1/3 fox farm ocean forest, and 1/3 fox farm light warrior, no other amendments.

having one hell of a time with plant problems. possible nutrient lockout due to pH. plants were watered with bottled distilled/spring water (whatever was cheapest). assumed that the distilled bottled water was pH neutral, but after weeks of use was shocked to see the pH was ~4 right out of the jug. compound the fact that botanicare nutrients were used at 1/3 strength, who knows how low the pH drifted?!

thanks

I take a bucket of mix..flush it with 6.0 ph water..

let the run off go in another CLEAN bucket..check with a ph meter..

• Like 2

Hummmmmm, first, drink your spring water, use tap water for your cannabis plants!!! Second, it's probably not your PH in a soiless medium, IF you're having problems. BUT, to be sure, START OVER!

By starting over, I don't mean repot everything, I mean start over with your watering. As long as you don't know what's in your soil, you are shooting at a moving target. So when nutrient problems DO show up, best thing to do is FLUSH the heck out of them, and stop worrying about "pure" water, that's an outlier when it comes to cannabis results.

Coir mix is notorious for locking up calcium, used it for years, and it gets twitchy as heck. When I had a problem, I'd set the pot in the sink and rinse/flush the heck out of it, then let it drain well. THEN, and ONLY then, would I water with PH'd TAP WATER!, with the nutrients I wanted in the mix, usually about half strength, depending on the age of the plant. If it's mature enough, I go 2/3 or full, if I know the strain and how it reacts. THEN, you'll know what you've got in your mix, IF you still have problems, which I would bet you will not.

PH is super critical in hydro, but in soiless mixes, it's such a moving target, it's generally NOT your problem in the first place. Most tap water is ph'd at about 7, and chlorine gases off when it comes out the spout, unless the water company uses solid chlorine (most do). You can go to the water company's website, and it will tell you both the PH and chemical content. But again, "good" water is an outlier in growing cannabis, not a primary driver of your results. In fact, I PREFER tap water for sprouting and clones, as the chlorine keep any nasty bacteria or fungus out of your baby plants.

So flush, PH some tap water with your nutrients in it to between 6-7, I prefer about 6- 6.5 myself, water well, then watch them recover. Best of luck to you!!

• Like 4

I take a bucket of mix..flush it with 6.0 ph water..

let the run off go in another CLEAN bucket..check with a ph meter..

This.

And if your soil is that off I would repot with better if it's possible.

• Like 2

everyone has different ideas on how to do things..

most are right on to.

I just make things as simple for me as possible,

growing good weed is not a certain science for Christ sake..it is a weed.

I think Hempy once made a statement,"i don't do it that way anymore but keep on keeping on"

I still use my simple method and most the time it is fine..

wishing everyone a Merry Christmas or however u celebrate ..have a sfe holiday Season.

BIGUN

• Like 3

hello,

thank you for the replies and feedback. pics and more info are incoming.

xms1

xms2

xms3

xms4

plants have been watered at pH 6.5 for a few days, dolomite lime was topdressed.

• Like 2

I don't seem to have permission to see those pics.

Ocean Forest is quite a bit on the soil side of the soil/soil-less continuum. It has a lot of buffer capacity and CaCO3. In the past, my main problems with it were that it was too hot.

Do you have a pH meter? Take about 10g of soil, mix with 20ml of distilled water (near pH 7) and let it sit for an hour. Then take the pH with a calibrated meter. in a large pot of soil (or pot of soil-less, or whatever) you will want to take those soil samples from different parts of the pot, not just the surface.

You can do the same with indicator solutions, but obviously only a pinch of soil is needed.

yep cant see the pics.