•           ai.php.gif

Justcozz

Infused coconut oil

Figured I'd make a quick "how to" for how I make cannabis infused coconut oil.

I'll add lots of pics Cozz a thread ain't no good without pics. I use 7 grams of bud per cup of coconut oil. For this batch I made 2 cups of oil.

Bare with me, I just downed a dose of oil to test this batch, and she's kicking in nicely.

med_gallery_19022_6012_1272140.jpg

The recipe:

14 grams of quality bud

2 cups of coconut oil

Water

The selected strain for this batch is Kinky Blaze.

med_gallery_19022_6012_1226328.jpg

So first I set my ven to 240* F and let preheat. Put a couple of cups of water in the slow cooker and set the temperature to high. Then I measure out 14 grams of Kinky Blaze.

med_gallery_19022_6012_623924.jpg

med_gallery_19022_6012_605025.jpg

I break it up with my fingers into small peices. And then toss it into a pouch made from aluminum foil.

med_gallery_19022_6012_233349.jpg

med_gallery_19022_6012_1097255.jpg

Decarboxylate the bud to turn the THCA into THC. Seal up the end to keep all the good stuff. Let it cook in the oven at 240* for 40 minutes. I shake and flip the pouch every ten minutes.

Then I dump it into the slow cooker with the water. I let it cook for about 15 minutes. This helps remove a lot of the green tast and pulls some color out of it. After 15 min I remove the water with a turkey baster, sucking it up from the bottom. This help keep the oils that released from the bud inside the pot. You will see some oil stuck to the inside edges as the water level drops. No worries, the oil will pick it up. Here Is the water I removed.

med_gallery_19022_6012_329867.jpg

Add a couple of fresh water to the slow cooker. In this pic you can see the oils from the bud stuck to the sides of the cooker.

med_gallery_19022_6012_604915.jpg

Measure 2 cup of coconut oil. I usually add a couple of extra tablespoons to account for loss. And tosss it in the slower cooker, cover and let it cook on high for 6 hours.

med_gallery_19022_6012_1214031.jpg

med_gallery_19022_6012_865607.jpg

To be continued......

• Like 5

Great instructions.

Question: Why not simply cook the cannabis, immersed in coconut oil, in the slow cooker? Cooking it in a slow cooker for six hours will decarboxylate the THCA just fine. Is the oven step necessary? Or, does that help the final product?

• Like 1

After 6 hours, it has darkened quite a bit. But it would be much darker if i didn't cook it 15 in the water first.

med_gallery_19022_6012_14055.jpg

Now for the fun and time consuming part.

I remove as much plant material as I can and put it in a strainer. I pour a couple of cups of boiled water through it to remove any oil still in the plant. I then throw bud in the trash.

Seems like a waste, but there shouldn't be any THC left. I rationalize it like this....I take a hit off the bong...hold it in...then exhale. Im sure is still THC in that cloud of smoke a watch float away, I'm not sure sure there is THC in the plant I just tossed in the trash can.

med_gallery_19022_6012_83260.jpg

I use a metal coffe strainer to strain the oil. On the far left, it is from a Kurig coffee maker. Left center, is the plastic that holds the filter. Right center, a funnel to hold it from falling into the jar. Far right, food injector with the needle removed. I use this to suck up the oil and put it through the strainer.

med_gallery_19022_6012_993196.jpg

med_gallery_19022_6012_1112187.jpg

The oil will float on top of the water. And the majority of the plant material will float between the water and oil. I suck up the oil with the injector being careful not to suck up any water. I don't worry too much about plant material. I will stay in the filter.

med_gallery_19022_6012_169364.jpg

Here is a pic of some of this oil (right) and my last batch (left). The color difference is from the 15 minutes cook to remove taste and smell. The taste of this oil straight is comparable to the taste of the other oil in chocolate. This batch of oil I don't think I will taste when mixed in food.

med_gallery_19022_6012_189363.jpg

In this pic the new batch of oil in the left two jars, just over two cups total. The third jars is the water left over water and oil. You can see there is a tablespoon or so still on top. I'll put it in the fridge. The oil will harden on top and I'll remove, strain and add it to the rest of the batch. Far right jar is my last batch of oil.

med_gallery_19022_6012_509477.jpg

Well, that's it. Super simple and now I get to try it out.

2.5ml should be close to 10mg of THC. Only 191 doses left.

med_gallery_19022_6012_1272140.jpg

It took about 30 minutes before it kicked in, but just as expected the Kinky Blaze oil is very similar to how it smokes. I bit less head high, but nice and relaxing. It still gives the happy content mood and body sensitivity. Yep, I'm really liking this.

Hope you all enjoyed and happy grows to you

• Like 5

Great instructions.

Question: Why not simply cook the cannabis, immersed in coconut oil, in the slow cooker? Cooking it in a slow cooker for six hours will decarboxylate the THCA just fine. Is the oven step necessary? Or, does that help the final product?

The temp in the slow cooker rarely hits 200*. I'm not confident that it will fully decarb. But I really don't know. It may be possible to skip it. I might have to test it with a much smaller batch, it would suck if a half ounce of bud got waisted....done that before...not a happy camper.

I am confused lol is the small syringe cannabis oil? Sorry I am trying to understand all the different sizes and measurements.

Yes, the small one is oil. I used it to measure 2.5ml of oil for a test. It's just about right, nice potency. But not too low, I could probably do 5ml and still be good. Perfect for the craving for that 2nd chocolate,

I use coconut oil and lecithin on a low burner (I have those simmer plates on it so it don't burn), cook all day then squish it with a sausage press to remove the plant material.

I add some things because we use it for a back pain lotion.

It's solid but soft at room temperature.

I haven't used lecithin yet, I need to pic some up and try it. I've hears it doesn't need to be added to the oil, it can be added into whatever recipe you are using the oil in.

Does it make much of a difference for lotion? I thought it only help with absorbing during digesting. Also, I haven't tried using the oil as a lotion yet. Guess I'll have to give it a shot.

You dont' need lecithin in the lotions, I use an emulsifier that is made for lotions, but it isn't required. I processed at one time with lecithin, didn't really care much for it while processing, I add it to the recipes, not during the production of.

• Like 1

Does pot de carb in the slow cooker? Does baking it at 240 add to extraction in the THC? Is it because of the higher oven temps that increase the potency? I usually do my butter for 24-30 hours in a crockpot on low, starting with 4 hours on high to de carb.

Man, save those crumbs and put them in cookies, there a LOT of THC still there, even after rinsing with boiling water.

Thanks for sharing, never tried it this way.

• Like 1

Holy crap, 24-30 hours....

I thought 6 hours was long, but that's what my research has told me to do. I've even seen people say 3 hours is plenty but I'd rather go longer then to loose potency.

I wouldn't mind running a batch longer, but I'll have to wait for summer.....opening up the doors in the winter to allow the house to air out, really hurts on heating. Had to get the wood stove cranking yesterday. Went through 2 nights of wood just to keep the temps comfortable.

• Like 1

I got into the lecithin because I thought it would help the oils mix.

It was used in some recipes like cannabutter seems like.

Probably helps out more with water and oil.

Well, 24-30 hrs IS a long time, not sure where I got it from, think it was someone on OG, or when I first started making butter in a crock pot, found some folks that swore longer was better, the reason being, the decarbloxation(sp?) of the THC, as you say. I think the 30 hrs is better. Besides, I just like the burnt nutty flavor of strong butter. It seems to me it gets "stonier" the longer you cook it, but I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns. I then strain it through a cheesecloth, while rinsing it with boiling water, as you suggest, into a larger pot. I like to unwrap the leftover bud from the cheesecloth, through it in a baggie, and it goes in the freezer for my next batch of Quaker Oatmeal cookies. There's still a lot of grease in there, if you just feel the bud, it's pretty oily. Waste not, want not!

I really like the idea of water bathing it first to remove some of the green residue. It would seem that the 240 oven step really takes the place of the long, slow cook method?

Gardenartus, you're not heating the honey or glycerin for 6 days, are you? Sounds like a dumb question, but I've never made those.

Happy pre New Year to all, may 2018 bring you joy, health, and happiness.

After some addition research I found a link that says don't use water.

http://www.badkatscannapharm.com/interesting-reading

Seems to make sense. It explains how water actually slows the oils ability to bond to canabinoids and extracts more chlorophyll then oil alone. Resulting in more taste and smell and less potent cannaoil.

Though it doesn't specifically state it, it does hint that using water after the extraction process will remove some of the taste.

I will make another 2 cup batch and do a test. After it's finished, I'll take the strained plant material and rinse it with a cup of boiling water and add a cup of infused oil and let them cook for a bit. Then compare for taste and smell between the two. Also compare potency between the batch above to the new one.

I sure wish I had a cost effective way to test for THC content...

Simply relying on "how it feels" kind of sucks.

• Like 1

I try telling folks that, but they brush my advice aside, almost every time lol I have been doing this non stop since 2010, had a lot of mishaps, and successes :) I did water in the beginning as well. I have not done all methods, but I sure have done a lot! Water makes for less potent, because you have taken your high fat and now made it low fat, water left in a product will cause mold.

Yes siree, I use the ball canner which I can set at around 115, and I put the glycerin tincture for 4 days, and the honey for 6 days. I do my butter for 12 on, sometimes I leave it on, turn it off over night, and do another 12 hours. What is nice, the ball canner holds enough jars, I can do these all at once, up to four containers, but 3 fits better, So I can get it going and have it all done in one week.

Lecithin is really good for combining oil and water, I use it in one of my candy recipes for that.

A friend swears by this but I have not tried it, do not remember all her directions. She boils her butter a few times through out the process, and then brings it back down, I dont' know how she keeps from burning it! ha! But she does that for 6 days, and she says the green goes away.

• Like 1

I didn't brush your advice to the side, sorry if it seemed that way. I really don't remember your advice against the use of water. Well anyhow, I have a batch decarbing at the moment. Vacuum sealed and in boiling water. We shall see how it turns out.

BTW, I haven't used lecithin, so the fat and water should not have bonded. Though I understand how water soaked plant material can keep the oil from coming in contact with the plant, thus reducing its ability to absorb all the THC.

Does pot de carb in the slow cooker? Does baking it at 240 add to extraction in the THC? Is it because of the higher oven temps that increase the potency? I usually do my butter for 24-30 hours in a crockpot on low, starting with 4 hours on high to de carb.

Man, save those crumbs and put them in cookies, there a LOT of THC still there, even after rinsing with boiling water.

Thanks for sharing, never tried it this way.

I like the the crock pot for 24 hours better then decarbing it first. Water, real butter and a thermometer. I mix my butter with a cookie mix and make dough balls. They last forever in the freezer. I don't really care if it is green and taste like weed. I'm not eating them for the taste and one dough ball will kick your butt all day. I tried decarbing once like Gardenatus told me to and used coconut oil but it was really weak. I have tried other peoples edibles and none compare to mine.

• Like 1

I made a batch of oil yesterday, using the vacuum bag in water method. My slow cooker was taking way too long to heat up so I did it on the stove top. Decarbed for 1 hour 45 minutes, then added the bud and kept it boiling for 6 hours. Same recipe, 14 grams to 2 cups.

I also made a bit of RSO using 190 proof alcohol. Came out pretty decent, and sent my flying too high to do much of anything. Which is why I didn't finish the oil. After 6 hours of boiling, I just turned it off and left it. I will reheat and strain this morning. I'll load up some pics later also.

• Like 1

You decarbed as I said and it was weak Hillbilly? What did you do :)

I wasn't meaning just you lol I speak about the water, and folks dismiss it. No biggy, each has to find what works best for them.

I like the idea of decarbing in the wet state, my issue is I don't take my things to high enough temp to decarb in wet state. A few things I do, but not butter, honey. I really believe it does cut down on the taste. Also cannabis oil is much more fluid if you decarb in the wet state.

I put it in a Turkey bag and did it in the oven. Did everything like you told me in the PM conversation we had. Not blaming you, just saying the old style crock pot way did me a better job.

It always makes me curious as to why two can make the same thing, follow same directions, but comes out with different outcomes. Yep, everyone has to find what works best. I've tried so many different ways, some outright sucked lol

I notice vacuum sealed and decarbed in boiling water will still turn the herb brown just like decarbing in the oven. It doesn't have the charge smell to it.

I really liked the vacuum sealed in water method, no smell. Over 8 hours and no smell. Very nice.

• Like 2

Lust finish shed straining the oil. Wow, this is a much simpler solution. I just snipped off a very small corner of the bag and let it drain through the filter. Bam, done. I squeezed the majority of the oil out of the plant material while in the bag, simple and no oily hands. I resealed the plant material and tossed it in the freezer. It still has quite a bit of oil in it, I'll add it to the next.

• Like 1

Ok, so here are the pics from this batch

First up is a copy of the table from the above link, showing the decarb results

med_gallery_19022_6012_163479.png

Next 14 grams of Kinky Blaze, and and seed she from the last batch

med_gallery_19022_6012_948834.jpg

All broken up and sealed, also, another 50+ seeds

med_gallery_19022_6012_632341.jpg

After cooking,

med_gallery_19022_6012_1079596.jpg

After straining,

med_gallery_19022_6012_503852.jpg

Finished product next to the last batch. It darker, but usually lightens as it cools and solidifies.

med_gallery_19022_6012_48628.jpg

So that's it..super simple. Also, if doing it on the stove top, I highly suggest using something in the bottom of the cooking pot to keep the plastic bags from touching the bottom. I have had food that I reheat, come unsealed...we don't want that...it's not good..lol

Here is what I use.

med_gallery_19022_6012_481973.jpg

As soon as I try this new batch out, I will let you know how it is. I know now, if it is equally potent, this will be my new method.

• Like 3