•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
elchupacabra

the LED migration - indoors and out

Due to some issues from the greater powers, I had to lie low for a while, but I'm back.

To cut straight to it:

NFT, totally 6 sqm, i have recently started scrogging just because it's a lot easier for me to get better yields when i do so. maybe I haven't found the right sog strain, but I think it's more a skill I don't have (yet).

My system was designed for about 9 plants per square metre, but i seem to be doing far better going for a longer time in the veg cabinet and 2 plants per sqm. Each row is 2.1m long and .9m wide (2sqm), lit by 2 air cooled 600w HPS. There are 3 such rows.

gallery_7978_6148_2056960.jpg

Till 2 days ago, I had 5 x 600w HPS (Lumatek ballast + Philips Master Greenpower bulb) and one lonely 400w HPS lighting the 3 rows.

Power bills due to air conditioner overload and the frequency of air conditioner maintenance required has made me consider and research LEDs. With help and guidance from many forums' members, here as well, I eventually created my first 2 prototypes.

the first one is a 432w Cree CXB3590 fixture with 8 3000k COBs, each running at 50w, cooled by an individual heat sink, totally powered by 2 meanwell drivers.

gallery_7978_6148_53131.jpeg

(The model number of the LEDs is : CXB3590-0000-000R0UBD30H)

the second one is a 420w Bridgelux Vero29 fixture with 4 x Vero29 COBs, each running at 100w, cooled by an individual heat sink, with an individual driver per COB.

gallery_7978_6148_54495.jpeg

(i'll fish out the model numbers)

These two LED fixtures have replaced 2 of my 600w HPS fixtures. Let's see how they do. it's going to be interesting for sure.

gallery_7978_6148_4329327.jpg

gallery_7978_6148_4303856.jpg

The ones in scrog atm are a nice amnesia phenotype, and the wonky middle row is my testing batch for Bodhi's Goji OG. There are a coupla' monsters in there.

Best Vibes

El Chupa

• Like 11

Bodhi goji is great!!! Actually it seems most everything from him is great.

Only advice on the LEDs I have noticed is adding Epsom salt to your watering once a week. A do about 1 tablespoon to gallon of water. Excited to see how this turns out for you.

• Like 2

Sweet, I'm making the same move to LED, so I'll be watching this grow!! Are you putting the light system together yourself?

Best,

BQ

• Like 1

Only advice on the LEDs I have noticed is adding Epsom salt to your watering once a week. A do about 1 tablespoon to gallon of water. Excited to see how this turns out for you.

what is the reason for this?

• Like 1

Thanks for the words, folks.

Just picked up a portable a/c to use for a bit, till I can clear the room up and call an a/c technician.

Sweet, I'm making the same move to LED, so I'll be watching this grow!! Are you putting the light system together yourself?

Best,

BQ

Hey BQ

I kind of designed the LED schematics - rather, I made a design by tweaking and combining bits of designs found online.

I did not do the physical heat sink cutting, wiring, or assembly. Got that done at a friend's LED assembly factory.

Bodhi goji is great!!! Actually it seems most everything from him is great.

i'm also curious - what's the reason behind this?

Yes, Bodhi seems to be a solid breeder, i'm impressed

I think it's unfortunate (but important) to note that this cannot be used as a comparison between LED and HPS. There are too many other variables, and I will have to wait till the next round (about ~4 weeks from now) before I can really run a test.

Row #3 (Amnesia Under LEDs) : gallery_7978_6148_3482024.jpg

These were scrogged for 14 days after flip to 12/12

Row #1 (Amnesia under 600w HPS): gallery_7978_6148_4173431.jpg

These were scrogged for 19 days after flip to 12/12

It's early to say anything, this is one of those girls that stocks up in the last 10-14 days of flower.

Turns out I took a crappy picture of the Gojis (Row #2): gallery_7978_6148_1091850.jpg

There are 4 in front under one lamp, and 2 are in the back - including the massive Goji OG #1. This girl can be a yielder if I keep the temperature and humidity in control.

Sad, but during the week of PK, the gojis were subject to the extra undue heat and (to keep things cool) the shortage of light.

They are smelling unbelievable. Candy, berries...i need more time and another few whiffs to really pen it down.

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with my goddamn air conditioner, I refilled the refrigerant, but it's still not keeping the room cool. It's working, just half-assed. I sprayed the hell out of it with the jet till no dirt came out, but still nothing. They say that if there's a leak then ice would form around the fins and would drip water. No such symptom for me. I'll have to call the technician inside, which I can only do after this grow. For the time until then, I have purchased a portable air conditioner. It's not of any use on it's own, really, but alongside the semi functional primary air conditioner, it's just about maintaining a reasonable temperature/humidity.

i purchase the best, most powerful air conditioner and even it is not enough. Perhaps a 1.5 ton a/c isn't enough, maybe it's getting overworked. I wonder if I should invest in a 2 Ton a/c? :-/

• Like 2