•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Mariano Gomes

Would this COB led be enough for a 5 x 5 grow tent?

Amazon

Morsen MAX12 Super Bright led grow Light 3600W with On Off Dimmer Switch

Aliexpress

1PCS Max COB Full Spectrum 3600W Led Grow Light AC85-265V Indoor Flower Veg Hydroponics System Plant LED Lamps Superior Yield#40

• Thanks 1

I am not a fan of LED as they are not suitable for horticulture as we do, although half the world uses them they have mostly less result then a 600w HPS.

I only use 600w lights as they give the best results, electricity vs yield.

So I would not buy either, what is you motivation to use LED instead?

I am not a fan of LED as they are not suitable for horticulture as we do, although half the world uses them they have mostly less result then a 600w HPS.

I live in a tropical climate and we have one of the top 3 most expensive electricity bills in the world since we don't have nuclear power plants so overall it wouldn't kill my air-conditioner too much. I know results will be round 10% less than hps but I think just in one months harvest I would get the roi based on electricity alone both from the light itself and the air-conditioner not getting overworked.... Average temperature here is above 30c and humidity is 65 and above depending if it is summer or rainy season... So I need to budget electricity for a dehumidifier as well.... My electricty bill right now with just one 1.5hp air conditioner running in my room is around $300 U.S. a month If I go hps that would be $750 dollars a month more or less just to run an ac 1000W hps plus a dehumidifer in the grow room... So yeah sacrificing on quality and yield is better than paying that much in electricity bills been actually researching on solar panels as well but that's gonna be too expensive. So right now my cheapest route would be to find the cheapest led light that won't sacrifice that much yield and quality.....

That is not true. Although the cheaper LEDs are not as good as the high end ones, led lighting has actually surpassed HPS. We aren't talking 5 years ago, a lot has happened since then. LEDs are the future IMO

And gomez although those lights are advertised at 3600 I doubt they'd cover 5x5 really well, might need multiple lights for that. They say 3600w but would only really cover less space effectively @545W. you could probably get away with 2 of them but low end led's are nothing like the good ones. There is no PPFD readings on the cheap ones, which is one of the metrics you actually want to know as watts don't really tell you much.

This bud was grown with a cheap cheap 130w led. It wasn't the best weed I've smoked but It was definitely strong and smelled good. Mine was advertised for 2x2 ft and I was using it at 1x1 had decent results.

gallery_18306_6068_3832367.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry Amsterdammer, but I disagree. I have been using LEDs for quite a while now, and they grow awesome flowers. I upgraded from a Blackdog panel to four 100 watt cobs in a 3x3 and I would not go back. I could probably use 2 more cobs for more even coverage, but I am happy with my results.

This is cob grown Huckin'Heri. Check out my grows in the micro fluo forum for plenty of examples of cob buds.

gallery_3221_4765_3304998.jpg

There are multiple sites to check out cobs. I went with http://timbergrowlights.com/.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have never tried HPS lamps, and probably never will. I use a small Platinum LED for a small grow. It works great and wouldn't trade it for HPS. I am not knocking HPS. Just stating my opinion that the right LED is a great thing.

• Like 2

Dude, LARGE growers like LED's!! They will only get better from here on out, too much money and competition chasing each other, and that always means innovation.

HPS grows are taxing electric grids in legal states already, they have to seek lower cost alternatives. Not just light expenses, but in air conditioning to deal with all the heat. If you can grow better bud, for half the electricity cost, you're going to do it, as some huge grows are doing. Even a few years ago, there was a question of yield between HPS/LED, not so much anymore. My Platinums equal my 600 HPS, and the buds are danker. Some strains seem to finish a bit faster, too, which I attribute to spectrums.

My HPS days are over, got tired of fighting the heat. And saves me $30-40 bucks a month. Once you get a good LED dialed in, they are the shit.

This post has been brought to you by the EPA and Crazy Sam's Discount LED Land.

• Like 6

...are not suitable for horticulture as we do

...less result then a 600w HPS.

Is it your experience with LED?

Because I made the total opposite experience, that is the first time I read this.

A good LED is for horticulture and brings more on the scale.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, dieseldog381 said:

My Platinums equal my 600 HPS, and the buds are danker. 

My HPS days are over, got tired of fighting the heat. And saves me $30-40 bucks a month. Once you get a good LED dialed in, they are the shit.

This post has been brought to you by the EPA and Crazy Sam's Discount LED Land.

exactly what model etc platinum led's are you using and there initial cost ? are they the new cob's or what ?

are you DOWN WITH T5 LED LIGHTS YET ? I sure would love to see what they do and the feedback on users who grow with them. thx

I have both a Platinum 450, and a 600.  The 450 is $539, and the 600 is $639 on Amazon.  Think I paid about $150-200 more per light about 20 months ago, so they've come down in price.  Also, they've come out with newer models and configurations, these things are like TV's, they keep upping the game as soon as you buy the best ones on the market today.  Last years models are deals.      

BTW, I'm NOT pushing Platinums at all, and they would not have been my first choice.  But they were a bit cheaper, and had a solid reputation, so before I bet the farm, I thought I'd get my feet wet with them.  They worked so well, I bought a second.  I was going to spring for an Illumitex setup, but in my small space, see no need to, the Platinums are working so well.  

I'm not familiar with the Cobbs, but others swear by them hereand build their own, which is above my pay grade.  Yes, I've been using T5's for quite awhile, I like to daisy chain the new Hortilux Power Veg around the room for added UVA/UVB, or I even put them underneath my canopy, it all helps.   I know they've got some newer high power ones out, which I haven't tried yet.

Here's some Platinum LED Sannie's Jack F8 budI grew about 18 months or so ago.  First thing I noticed, internodes are much tighter, buds more compact, and stretch on the SJ was cut quite a bit.  No true on all strains, as my Chucky's Bride phenos still stretched like a mofo.  But you do notice a marked increase in frostiness under the LEDs.   Testing claims 3-5%, mainly due to the UVA/UVB spectrums that's included on all decent LEDs these days. 

image.thumb.png.a9a47d8719fbf5f68b95711d13260083.png

• Like 2

Hey, wanted to mention, the other reason I chose Platinum was the rectangular fixture shape was almost perfect for my grow space, where say, a square Black Dog would require two smaller lights.  Genrally, LED's have a more defined footprint than an HPS, so coverage is important.  

Something to consider when looking at these new fangled setups.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, Shoeless said:

Sorry Amsterdammer, but I disagree. I have been using LEDs for quite a while now, and they grow awesome flowers. I upgraded from a Blackdog panel to four 100 watt cobs in a 3x3 and I would not go back. I could probably use 2 more cobs for more even coverage, but I am happy with my results.

This is cob grown Huckin'Heri. Check out my grows in the micro fluo forum for plenty of examples of cob buds.

gallery_3221_4765_3304998.jpg

There are multiple sites to check out cobs. I went with http://timbergrowlights.com/.

All what he said

LED beats hid imo.

Besides a better spectrum

And way less heat.

I used hid for a long time

They just gather dust now.

• Like 2

Btw, I can now grow year round with LEDS.   In the summer, HPS just got too difficult to keep the heat down in my space.  I used to shut down around June to September, as it was just too much hassle.   

With LEDs, room temps dropped an easy 15 degrees in August, and I don’t have to hook up all that cooling exhaust fan stuff.   My lights paid for themselves in 12-18 months, easy.    If you count the extra harvests, the payback is much quicker.    

Now, what do I do with all these boxes of HPS ballasts, bulbs, hoods, ducts, etc?!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

Now, what do I do with all these boxes of HPS ballasts, bulbs, hoods, ducts, etc?!   

Maybe we need to start a "For Sale" or "For Free" section where we can help out fellow growers and clear out our old gear. That would be something for @sannie to decide. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Justcozz said:

Maybe we need to start a "For Sale" or "For Free" section where we can help out fellow growers and clear out our old gear. That would be something for @sannie to decide. 

I've thought about the Salvation Army, but I don't think they're growing yet.  You can't really sell it in illegal states, aka, "Hello, ossifer, I just use those 1000 watters for my basil" and you probably can't give it away in legal states, there's so much of it out there on Craigslist.  

Selling HID lighting gear is going to be like trying to sell a CD players     

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, dieseldog381 said:

I've thought about the Salvation Army, but I don't think they're growing yet.  You can't really sell it in illegal states, aka, "Hello, ossifer, I just use those 1000 watters for my basil" and you probably can't give it away in legal states, there's so much of it out there on Craigslist.  

Selling HID lighting gear is going to be like trying to sell a CD players     

Funny

you whipper snapper lol

I was thinking cassette tapes

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 4:50 AM, Mariano Gomes said:

Amazon

Morsen MAX12 Super Bright led grow Light 3600W with On Off Dimmer Switch

Aliexpress

1PCS Max COB Full Spectrum 3600W Led Grow Light AC85-265V Indoor Flower Veg Hydroponics System Plant LED Lamps Superior Yield#40

Damn we suck

Sorry man, I don't think any of us answered your question.

Can you give more info?

How much actual wattage?

Im assuming that's Led watts?

LED is so versatile you have many options.

In 5x5 for Cobs I usually see 2

Depending on wattage and if it's high end 

Some folks use 4 75 watt cobs

Of the top shelf kind.

Many many options

From what I have been reading, you need to have about 32 watts per square foot for flowering when using LEDs.

https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/blogs/blog/16326275-how-many-led-watts-are-required-per-square-foot-of-grow-space

Going by that rule, you are going to want about 800 watts to cover a 5x5. I would not buy that light you linked to though. That thing looks like a piece of crap. 

You might be able to get by using this light

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/all/products/hlg-550

Or, you could always order the parts, and build one yourself for less. 

personally  I like 45/50 watts per sq. ft.

seems like if u have less the buds are fluffy and takes longer to finish..

me,being an old time grower will stick to my MH and HPS

I am trying a grow now with MH from start to finish....

looks great so far..not due until last of March..

have a great day everyone