•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

gardenartus

Any good techs for making wax or shatter, no butane

I have a potential patient who likes wax or shatter, told him I am worthless at getting rosin lol. Is there a way to make it without butane or making rosin? Is there anyway to make it with say the alcohol I use? TIA

• Like 1

Yeah, Mindless put up a quick shake method but generally use alcohol to soak your ground up bud or trim in a jar and extract the oils and then evaporate it off and scrape up the residue. That could be a fast method or a 3 month method. Once you scrape it all up, you can use a whipping tool to finish forcing out the rest of the alcohol. Rhino was doing it a lot for a while. Then Mindless added a quicker method.

Maybe someone will pipe in and provide the link. I'll look for it in the meantime.

The best way though, os to use food grade alcohol which aint cheap. Sounds like you already have that. The Everclear leaves a bad taste, Rhino said. It's a very clean way to do it as far as finished product. I'd love to turn my trim kief into wax.

@Rhino did it a lot in the NAW test center thread I believe. And, Mindless has a lot of info.

Hope you get it going. Lots of stuff online too.

peace

mrG

• Like 2

Lady..I use 151 proof..do just ike Polder does..

for small ammounts I use a quart jar and put my tril kief and small buds in..

fill 2/3 full.

pour the alchol in..

shake for 15/20 minutes

have u a pyres dish ready..

use 2 coffee filters and drain the liquid from the weed

squeeze it and get it all

pour the contents in the bowl

I set mine under a ceiling fan

2/3 days and u have shatter..

it is good stuff.

I have almost quit smoking the joints and bowls..lol

I guess u get what vever the weed is..if it is good your shatter wll b

good luck

put

• Like 3

You're not getting any unfavorable results using the 151 proof? I've heard the food grade 90%'ish is what you need. But I'm gonna try some for the hell of it. I can afford Everclear or at least 151.

Sounds like you like it!

peace

mrG

Cool, so mine will work, just evape with a fan. :) Yea I use expensive alcohol Mr. G, it is 100 bucks a gallon lol. I winterized which takes out lipids and waxes, and use a charcoal filter to get the green out. I think if you get all the alcohol out wouldn't taste too bad. Just when I make the oil, I reclaim the alcohol which partly decarbs it and need something that doesn't.

So Bigun I can do it with my oil, just evape the alcohol with a fan, TY TY, :)

I think you can also use a double boiler for evaporating faster, or something to that effect, but might be more dangerous depending on type of stove.

@ Mrs G, I don't know if your existing oil will work the same. The alcohol absorbs the THC and plant oils. I think the heat is what causes the plant oils to turn to a sludge. Slow evap allows the oils to harden. Kind of like sugar, mix with water and heat it up and it is a thick sticky mess, but dissolve it into warm (not hot) and let it evap slowly, it crystallizes, rock candy.

But I haven't tried it, just my stoned thoughts

Well, if you're going to do a ghetto grow like me, then I guess you should also try some ghetto shatter!

I have my ghetto alcohol, Everclear (still expensive surprisingly), and 3/4 pint of AAA+ trim and sift, both in the freezer. In the morning we act! Only thing I don't have is a dab mat. Walmart had some silicone mats on sale, but out of stock.... So, gonna have to whip it on parchment paper taped down I guess. Hey, it's ghetto, okay!? :-)

peace

mrG

• Like 1

Well OG is being finicky today with the server and photos. So, you'll have to wait and take my word for it... this is gonna be good! I got a nice looking harvest. I'm about to set up my whipping station and start scraping it up. Liquid still came out green although it had a gold tinge to it. The oil is gold with a little bit of a dirty look. Mostly very clear.

I completed the ghetto method by being in a big hurry and used a heat gun for evaporation. No harm no foul.

stay tuned... at this stage, I would say this is almost fool proof. All I need to do is tape some parchment down and whip it, then seal it.

Ooo, ooooo... I can't wait!

peace

mrG

• Like 1

Awesome, next time try taking the liquid and placing it in the freezer for a few days, then filter it, it will pull off the lipids and waxes leaving you a much cleaner end product. If you do it in the freezer, place all utensils you use along with the alcohol and herb, do the alcohol and herb at least 24 hours, and work right in the freezer, you wont pull much if any green.

I wanna see pics :)

• Like 2

Gotta go to therapy. I'm more than an hour late. Nice thing about a small town. They make it work.

It's going good. I'll go into more details later. Only have one part whipped and the other is waiting. I need silicone.

The thin stuff turned into crystal shatter. It would disinergrate like fine sugar when scraping it. I been smoking some of that. whew! strong, and very clean and nice, with nice taste.

be back soon. Took lots of pics.

peace

mrG

• Like 2

Talk about a teaser.....just like your favorite TV show,

to be continued.......

• Like 2

Oops, I thought I put up the teaser shot... Here you go

gallery_16406_6138_1061631.jpg

I have to up load the others and the system isn't being so kind today.

peace

mrG

• Like 2

Yeah it was a lot. I see why Rhino said he has better luck with smaller amounts. It took the whole pint almost so I should have done have of each in two steps.

Damn, can't get photos in tonight. Got 3. I'll try tomorrow or this weekend. I gotta go crash. Long day. brownie is kicking in now, and coma dreams await me.

peace

mrG

• Like 1

Okay, here are a few pics of my first extraction endeavor. I finally got them uploaded from another computer.

The stuff I was dealing with at first was too gooey and sticky. So, finally I left if out over the last day or so and it's drying out better. I was able to roll it in my finger a little. Yesterday, even after leaving it in the freezer to get brittle, just one touch and it melted. stickiest stuff in the world. I couldn't even work with it. Now it's totally different. It's covered but still out and I'll be able to package it tomorrow. It's smoking very nice.

Next time I would do a little less maybe, or at least not force the drying. I think just letting it sit for a few days would be a better result, but I don't know. Bigun said that's what he did.

Actually, the bain marie method would be pretty fast I bet and much easier on the oil. I was using a heat gun and I'm sure that must have had some effect on the color and different consistency of the thin pasts compared to the thicker parts. The heat gun ended up piling it up in a couple of areas and it didn't dry completely. Whipping couldn't finish it. But, it was fun, and I learned by trying. For the most part I would give myself a C grade on the task. An A for keeping to the ghetto way. :P

Once I did this a few times, it would be easy. I just need to refine a little and get my sweet spot. I did take one of the filters out because I thought it would take forever. It started to leak a little toward the end so I added the other one again. That allowed a small amount of impurities in causing a darker color.

Anyway, I'm getting tired, so I better put a pic or two in and talk about it tomorrow. Thank you all for the inspiration.

gallery_16406_6138_950476.jpg

gallery_16406_6138_522369.jpg

I started scraping on the real thin layered stuff, and it would just turn into shattered crystals that flew everywhere. Kind of strange. Heat gun caused me to over heat in some areas and under in others. The stuff looks like raw organic cane sugar only more fine partly.

gallery_16406_6138_2361937.jpg

I mixed it in with the first part I whipped. It kind of just dissolved back into it.

gallery_16406_6138_551764.jpg

gallery_16406_6138_1537989.jpg

gallery_16406_6138_1490310.jpg

Not a good focus, but getting the NAW gold sheen. heh.

gallery_16406_6138_2405153.jpg

This is part of what is left over that I left to dry more while covered. It's better today.

gallery_16406_6138_1013080.jpg

hey, I might even spark up a few hits of it now. I'm inspired after all of that. I'll get a better pic tomorrow of how it came out.

peace

mrG

• Like 2

Hey Mr G,

I use this 4004293124524_mi1_pd1500x1500_1.jpg

to get the oil out off it, it's silicon. And then wiping it off on a silicon bakemat ;)

• Like 2

Yep, I ran out of money before I got a bake mat. The local store was out while I had extra cash, now that I'm short, they have them again. :-)

But, at least I'm keeping to the ghetto tradition... use what you have. I can see how I could do a much better job the next time. It'll be fun trying to get a better, cleaner product. I rushed the whole process as well. I should do what Garden said and freeze the extracted solution before evaporation. I froze both the alcohol and weed overnight before I soaked it. I should try the extra freeze of the extracted solution.

Anyway, I'm smoking the hell out of it and it tastes great. Not expecting any visitors so I don't have to worry about looks today, heh.

thanks!

peace

mrG

• Like 2

I picked this up and love it. Heated magnetic stirrer. I am going to try it with a small amount of heat and see if I can make dabs. This is great for the oil, evapes the alcohol completely off in about 30 minutes. gallery_14187_5117_15134.jpg

• Like 6

Hey, I have a home made stirring unit. I used it for propagating yeast for home brewing. Keep us informed on how it goes.

peace

mrG

How difficult is it to remove the oil from the container. Seems like all the residue on the sides would be difficult to collect

Yeah, maybe you could get a small pyrex dish with the sides short. I saw some in Walmart for just a few bucks.