•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sparrow

Which HPS is the best ?

Hello,

at the Moment i use the OSRAM Plantastar ( 600 W ) and i like this ! Before i used the Sylvania Growlux BUT after 2 runs this bulb must renew.

With the PLANTASTAR i think the Buds have more resin...

What for bulbs you guys used ?

My box is 90x150x200 and at the Moment i used 1 * 600 W HPS.

What can i do for the the best illumination ???

greetings

I have used eyehortilux for the last 15 years, I can not see any reason to change.

• Like 1

Eye hortilux is also what I use. I used to use ushio from amazon but after one showed up broken and another burned out after 3 months, I switched. The quality is great.

I use General Electric Lucalox,

because they are easily available in a shop nearby.

I use it in combination wih a Gavita Digistar,

that can be dimmed and boosted.

No complaints.

600 watt Agrosun Red Sodium, best bulbs I've ever used, ran them for years, swapping them out with Hortilux, Digilux, and a few others, Agrosuns are better.

The Agrosun bulbs finish plants a half to a week earlier on every strain I've run under them, and that's been a lot! They advertise earlier finish times, and my experience suggests that's accurate, due to a fuller spectrum, and added blue light.

I"m sure there's better tech out there now, for HPS, but I'm an LED disciple these days.

Don’t rule out CMH I’m running a dimlux 630 double bulb adjustable output ! The plants just love it and the grow room is much cooler than running a 1000 watt heat lamp from Gavita !

I also think internode spacing is shorter and final outcome a frostier plant maybe not as large of buds but they all seem to turn into rocks once dried ,I’m happy with my results as I’ve ran hps for years and truly believe cmh makes a better bud !

Next lighting is probably going to be led cob once I figure out how many I’ll need and spacing them accordingly in the room ,for now i run both dimlux and gavita

• Like 1

I have tried many and to be honest I can't say there was much difference in outcome between the $90 bulb and the $30 bulb. These days I buy the best bargain at the time and rarely spend more than $35.

I think that replaceing them more often if better than spending more money on them initially.

• Like 6

I have a question within your thread if you don't mind :)

I am having issues with lighting, for some reason I can't get enough for my plants to grow to their potential, have tried a few things, lowering it, on a mover, etc. If I replaced the one 1000 hps with 2 600, do you all think this might fix the issue?

• Like 2

I have a question within your thread if you don't mind :)

I am having issues with lighting, for some reason I can't get enough for my plants to grow to their potential, have tried a few things, lowering it, on a mover, etc. If I replaced the one 1000 hps with 2 600, do you all think this might fix the issue?

Have you considered the role of color spectrum?

No I guess I have not. It is odd, every since I changed the rooms over to Octopots in that room, I can not get the yield from them. Deathstar in my day room pulled 19, put her in this room I call my might room, she didn't pull 4, something is up. Changed bulbs out, put a mover in, took it out, lowered the light. I use eye hortilux. Nothing is working, the water is cool, ph is correct, nutes going fine. Only thing I can think of is lighting.

Edit, I went ahead and ordered a couple of 600watt set ups. Hopefully that will make the difference, someone said, how about the fixture? lol might be. Sorry for taking over your thread for a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Someone suggested something to me I had not thought of, perhaps it is the fixture :) I ordered the 2 600 watters, so if it is the fixture that will fix that issue as well.

Could be the ballast, maybe? Age?

I'm with Beachbud. From what I've read and even been told by industry peeps, that it's best to change them often, so that means buy the cheapest bulb with a good reputation and change them every run, or two.

I'm using stuff from GrowAce atm. They make all of their own ballasts and other gear under the Yield Labs name. They sell a Yield Labs bulb that sold below $30 last year. Now they're $35-$40 I think. Still not too bad.

Since they break, burn out, and otherwise seem to be close enough in performance to others, even from online scientific results, I choose to go cheap and often. One industry peep told me that since you'll be replacing them once every year or better, you should go ahead and run them on full boost once you're into grow or flower since they will degrade one way or another.

peace

mrG

I wouldn't expect the fixture to have much that could go wrong short of wires coming loose. I'm still learning this indoor stuff as I go, but maybe you could call the customer service of the ballast company and ask if they have a life span that could be a worry. I really don't know if they wear out or not. I should know.

Another thing is to make sure your circuit isn't being a little overloaded. If you have too many things plugged into the same circuit as the light it could sap some energy.

Sorry I'm not more help. I'm just throwing ideas of some basic stuff to consider. Good luck and best vibes sent your way!

peace

mrG

Hey ms G.

19 down to 4 is a big difference. It could be a few things. A light meter is pretty cheap. If you live in a grow community maybe some one you know has one you could borrow. You could measure both rooms. You could swap just the fixtures and test. Just keep going down the line till something shows.

Sometimes when i clone I get a big difference between cuts of the same mom. Maybe where on the plant the cut was taken from. Maybe fertilizer/or lack there of at the time of cut. And then all the little stresses from cut to flower.

19 is a great number and if I hit that I'd be chasing it again for life.

If you figure it out let us know. I am pretty curious.

• Like 2

I agree. My first thought was 19!? Even if it was 9 it would be a big loss. That's why I suggested ballast at first. Hard to believe anything else could have that type of loss.

That is the most I've ever pulled, normally I pull 8 to 9. This is not just the Deathstar, was just using her as the dramatic difference. Gorilla Glue normally pulls 9, she will pull about 3 or 4, it is like I went back to growing in soil lol.

Heck I don't know, I hope this is the fix.

I was so dang tickled to get 19, but bitter sweet, our limit is 15 so I could not go around shouting I pulled 19!!!!!! Yee haw lol

• Like 1

@ g what ballist are you useing the old mag or new diggy theres a big diffrence between the to of them as for useing 1 x1000w 2x600w would be way better BUT if you can fit them in 4x400w will kick the ass of the last to as you can get the 400w lights a lot lower to the plants

space

• Like 1

No amount of 400's penetrate like a 1000 in my long time experience with both.

• Like 7

I don't have room to put 4 in there. Someone was reading this and with my issues, said I have dudding, dump all, I am like say what! Nothing like no sleep last night lol. I ordered two of the 600 set up/ Now pray it is just my room lol. I am not having this issue in my day room, only the night room. My head did a little number when I thought of dudding :(

I had never heard of it, had to look it up, this is from another forum

So when I clone off of a mother plant I have a few genetics that will throw "duds". dud plants grow regular until some point in the first two months when they will suddenly stop normal growth, throw out tiny leaves with lots (7-9) of blades, lots of nodes, and usually will throw large mature pistils at the nodes. Trying to bend the branches usually will break the branch off, and over time the plant's healthy leaves will turn necrotic and begin twisting/dying.

Plants that dud out never produce a decent yield and almost always have a sub-par smell (if any) and very few trichomes. They also smoke like shit.