Raised Beds

22 replies to this topic

#1 tacman7

Lazy Pig Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Making Music with my Computer, Working in the wood-shop.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

I noticed during one of our fires when a marijuana grow got the plastic burnt off it that they were big raised beds like 4' x 4' and maybe 3' tall with one big plant in each one.

I guess you wouldn't do any transplanting it would be like growing in the ground.

Interesting. Anyone tried this?

#2 Justcozz

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, 4 wheeling, dirt bikes, hunting, fishing, anything with friends and family.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:03 PM

I think you are right. I suspect the reason for doing the large raised bed is the ease of mixing and using soil. Doing it in the ground is much more difficult. Digging sucks.

I have a friend that plants his tomatoes in the ground sort of like a raised bed. He uses a 14" auger to dig down about 3 feet. Puts a tire over the hole for a rim, and fills with soil pretty similar to what we use. They grow like crazy. Especially in my area with triple digit temps all summer. The ground keeps the roots cool. This gives me an idea, indoor grow with dirt floor. Hummmm....

It's not always just Cozz, sometimes it is a Just cozz

Kinky Blaze x Silverfields https://www.opengrow...x-silverfields/

1st Ever Grow https://www.opengrow...to-share-a-bit/

https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

#3 baqualin

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Teaching Tai Chi, Music, Fishing, Hunting anything outdoors and growing anything.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

View PostJustcozz, on 02 February 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

I think you are right. I suspect the reason for doing the large raised bed is the ease of mixing and using soil. Doing it in the ground is much more difficult. Digging sucks.

Yes, I've been growing veggie's and weed in raise beds for years, it also makes for easy weed control. You can start a raised bed by building a frame (or without ) and laying down news paper directly on the grass then add your soil mix, the grass will die, worms will come tilling the soil and kick starting Bio activity, plus the more you mulch the richer it gets with time. I never turn mine over, plant a cover crop in the winter, cut it in spring then plant directly into it, if it's right you can dig down with a hand trowel. I also empty all old Coco and potting soils into a mulch pile cook it and onto the raise bed. When mushrooms start growing it's at the sweet spot. I do add Myco and enzymes. We're doing one this year using mulch a landscaping friend brought from his farm, he took it out of the center of a 15 year old pile used for special things, Black Gold, he gets a bag or 2 for it B) . It's on site in a big pile ready to spread, easier than digging but still lot of work hauling it in.

BQ

#4 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

As far as a good mulch, plain old grass clippings are the best. It doesn't look pretty, but it's are full of slow release nitrogen, and they smother out the weeds really good. It also works better than a lot of others in retaining moisture.

I saw some of the pics from the fire, Tacman, and I noticed it too. I've actually seen that before just browsing pages. It looks like the serious growers out there do it that way. I know each one houses a freaking tree, so it must be good.

peace

mrG

"Welcome to Dankville, son"

100% Organically Grown

#5 Sacred Plant Warrior

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1630 posts
  • Interests:mary jane,fine mary jane's,mary jane's with brains, sweet mary jane's

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

yeah that is old school shit frfr, especially in areas where soil compactness/make up is crap it becomes a necessity for some.
I know areas that were great for growing except for the soil was full of rocks and seashells like crazy. i said fuck it and filled trash bags of promix bx. and planted in them. above ground flower bins just make it much easier to maintain the plant with less hassle and watering too.

#6 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

Roots Organics sells a bag of ready to go grow mix and it's made to grow right in the bag. I bought a bag without looking at it closely, and it has everything to grow right away. All the stuff is in there. Probably have to supplement towards flowering. I think I'll do a couple this summer to see how they go.

peace

mrG

100% Organically Grown

#7 brimck325

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

another reason is some guys/gals have pest problems (moles,gophers n such), with the raised beds they can surround the "pot" with wire mesh.

#8 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Good idea. I have moles...

100% Organically Grown

#9 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

If you are old like me and your back is stupid with pain, raised beds are awesome.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#10 Gardener

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostMr Goodfellow, on 03 February 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

As far as a good mulch, plain old grass clippings are the best. It doesn't look pretty, but it's are full of slow release nitrogen, and they smother out the weeds really good. It also works better than a lot of others in retaining moisture.

I saw some of the pics from the fire, Tacman, and I noticed it too. I've actually seen that before just browsing pages. It looks like the serious growers out there do it that way. I know each one houses a freaking tree, so it must be good.

peace

mrG

Grass clippings are only good from trusted sources. Don't use clippings from where weed-killers are applied (golf courses and much of suburbia). That stuff can hurt your harvest, even after the grass has been composted. But if it's your own and you don't use poisons, great stuff.

#11 baqualin

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Teaching Tai Chi, Music, Fishing, Hunting anything outdoors and growing anything.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostGardener, on 03 February 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostMr Goodfellow, on 03 February 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

peace

mrG

Grass clippings are only good from trusted sources. Don't use clippings from where weed-killers are applied (golf courses and much of suburbia). That stuff can hurt your harvest, even after the grass has been composted. But if it's your own and you don't use poisons, great stuff.
So True!! Good advice, left that out.

#12 Justcozz

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, 4 wheeling, dirt bikes, hunting, fishing, anything with friends and family.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

I also have moles and ground squirrels. I find they don't care for wet soil. I water my yard 3 times a day every day. They stay away from it. They are everywhere the sprinklers don't hit. I had a sprinkler go out while I was gone for 2 weeks, came back and had mounds. Fixed the sprinkler and they vacated quick.

It's not always just Cozz, sometimes it is a Just cozz

Kinky Blaze x Silverfields https://www.opengrow...x-silverfields/

1st Ever Grow https://www.opengrow...to-share-a-bit/

https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

#13 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

OOOps, big sorry. That was the most important news that I left out. It has to be from trusted sources. I never use shit in my yards, so mine is always saved for compost if it's straight up good grass. It's rich.

You're right, most likely, that any municipality will have toxins in their cuttings. That would have to be researched and verified ahead of time. For around the yard and small gardens it's a great way to re-cycle it beyond composting it. I love it in a garden.

Thank you Gardner!! Go organic, young man. It's worth the trouble.

100% Organically Grown

#14 Gardener

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostMr Goodfellow, on 03 February 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm actually not that young.

#15 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

Oh, that was meant to address the rest of the world. ;) Especially those less enlightened!

Age is all relative these days. I'm amazed at some of the people I've met and their high ages. It's kind of funny in a weird sort of way and a little encouraging, too.... I guess... :huh:

100% Organically Grown

#16 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostGardener, on 03 February 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostMr Goodfellow, on 03 February 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm actually not that young.
I'm old as dirt son lol at least I feel that way ;) I think bigun was on FB one time, when Indican had his forum, I was like I am the oldest here, Older then damn dirt, Then Bigun showed up lol ;)
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#17 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

I think I have you all beat, but who the hell is counting at this point. In my head I never grew up past the late 20's... Yep, I'm mostly a mess. But, I'm MY mess. :wub:

peace

mrG

100% Organically Grown

#18 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

View PostMr Goodfellow, on 03 February 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

I think I have you all beat, but who the hell is counting at this point. In my head I never grew up past the late 20's... Yep, I'm mostly a mess. But, I'm MY mess. :wub:

peace

mrG
I am thankful all us old bad asses are still around to share with each other :)

Posted Image

#19 tacman7

Lazy Pig Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Making Music with my Computer, Working in the wood-shop.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

I was thinking about two long beds like a horse trough maybe to replace pots

Posted Image

What is Grass?

Posted Image

#20 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3349 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Hmmm, yeah, no grass composting or mulching from your place! :lol:

I like your idea of the troughs. It would be better in a lot of ways imo. Use your pots for dads or moms that need to be moved around for making seeds.

Peace

mrG

100% Organically Grown