•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

jimihendrix

Minimum length of Day Light Period to keep plants from flowering?

Say I want to start clones/plants inside, and then put them outside in Mid April, and not have them FLOWER in a few weeks, only to revert. NOPE don't want that.

In Mid April, where I am, there is 13 hours 8 minutes of LIGHT on April 15th.

How can I best match the inside plants, to the outside lighting scheme of April 15/ 13 hours 8 minutes Daylight???

These plants will also be inaccessible on a regular basis, and no way to interrupt the light/dark period in any way. Plus they will be in multi locations, and 100 plants to the location.

Do you think they can veg on 15 hours light, and then adjust to the loss of 1 hour 52 minutes vs inside?

I know 16 hours will keep most strains in Veg. Will 15 Hours ?? I know you have to speculate, as strains are different.

Ive also had plants go outside at 18 hours veg, and not flower, but Ive also had many that did. Don't want a crap shoot.

Thanks in advance

When I grew indoors I grew 18/6, I think they need some darkness. Some grow 24hours.

I keep plants in veg outdoors by turning on lights in the middle of the night. 15min on, 15min off, 3 times.

I use LED spotlights and you need a good bit of them, don't know if you can do that where you live.

Last Summer I started on June 1st because I always started too soon and had problems. That was a little late but still an excellent crop.

So I may start May 1 or so this year.

I was thinking about it last year here:

https://www.opengrow.com/topic/52032-when-to-start/

My research tells me, the plants will start flowering upon a dramatic change in day/night lengths. So a mature plant vegged 24/0 will most likely start flower with a sudden change to a short 8-10 hour dark period. So the closer you can simulate the natural day/night lengths the better off you will be.

If using cuttings, I would slowly reduce there indoor light schedule to match the 13 hours days they will have when you put them outside. Minutes per day if necessary. They may still start flower, but they will stop and reverse. You just want to minimize their confusion.

In nature, the plants don't just use light to know when to flower. Once outside, they will recognize the nights are getting longer and the temps are higher. They will adapt, and resort to their internal seasonal clock. They will reflower after the summer equinox like nature intended.

If you put them out in mid-April and they begin to flower, by mid-May they should be correcting themselves, and re-veg'ing. Shouldn't they?

Yeah, most will reveg, some wont though, but I really would like to avoid that.

I also agree, that they can adapt to the outside as Justcozz has suggested. His is also my conclusion

I planned on vegging the plants at 24 hours, take cuttings, and put them on 18 hours, and then after rooted/vegged some, slowly reduce day length to what I decide from the answers I get here. All the while after rooted using 1000w Hortilux HPS for growth, until they go outside.

Ive already got a couple mothers on 24 hours, that are 4 years old.

I have done this a couple of times, it is tricky. I got the best results using a 400 watt MH light on 18/6 but to avoid problems and a lot of work...

I would reccomend to start them from seed in a litlle greenhouse and just take it from there. It is a lot of stress on the plants the change of indoor to outdoor and it can lead to a lot of problems.

If you want a head start you can start them early in a greenhouse and use a heating mat to get your ground tempurature on a nice level. And make sure the pots and heating mat are elevated from the cold floor.

Succes.

I'm in an outlaw state, and no way to use a greenhouse.

I also don't want to mess with males, thus why Ive already started seeds 150 seeds to determine M/F, then will cull, and veg the fastest, best branching, most water using 15 female mothers under 3 x 1000w Hortilux HPS in 10 - 15 gallon containers, until theyre large enough to take 20-50 cuts from each mother.

I also have vegging mother Mr Nice SSH plant that I will take clones from. Its been around 4 years. We got 6 packs, grew them out, threw out the slow growing/undesirables, and open pollinated all of them F2.

The 1 we kept was 1 from 250 F2 females over 4 growth cycles of 75 days flowering each cycle.

Strains I'm using are also very branchy, and will produce many shoots.

Dominion Seed Company

Dominion Skunk

VA Chemdog91 x SSSC Sk1 x Skelly Hash Plant x SSSC Sk1

Granny Skunk

VA Afghani x Skelly x SSSC Sk1

Sis Skunk

Chem Sister x Skelly x SSSC Sk1.

Coastal Seeds

Puck Yeah

Heirloom NL1 x Skelly ( Puck )

i would start at 15/9…i think the gradual loss of day will have the opposite effect you want. i also found it to be a waste putting em out early, you lose more time revegging then you will just waiting, imo. yes they "START" to reveg in about 3 weeks, but i found it takes about 5-6 to start actually growing again. i'm at 40 latitude and wait till 2-3 week of may to put em out now, after years of trying to plant earlier. good luck!

• Like 2

i would start at 15/9…i think the gradual loss of day will have the opposite effect you want. i also found it to be a waste putting em out early, you lose more time revegging then you will just waiting, imo. yes they "START" to reveg in about 3 weeks, but i found it takes about 5-6 to start actually growing again. i'm at 40 latitude and wait till 2-3 week of may to put em out now, after years of trying to plant earlier. good luck!

I agree, waiting for mid May would be best. I'm also at 40* and we won't get 14 hours until May 5th. Cinco de Mayo, maybe that's why it's a celebration...lol.

Last year I took some Kinky Blaze cuttings and put them outside after rooting the beginning of June. They showed pistils the first week. Reversed in about 2 weeks and grew great after that.

• Like 1

I've grown outside for over 40 years and I always had the best luck planting between May 5 & 10, every time I've gone earlier ( including Tomato plants ) they're always behind the ones planted in May, even then, I do lower my photoperiod to 15 hours of daylight at least a month before I put them outside, it hits 14 hours here first week of May.

Baq

• Like 4

I waited until June 1 last year because I've had problems with too early. It was a good grow but the plants weren't as tall as other years, good quality though.

I buy clones and put them in the greenhouse, don't have indoor setup at all.

Going to try late April this year. I'm running a lot more/stronger light (but still cheap 60w led bulbs). Going to do another wave 2-3 weeks later to compare.

I give them some morning light and evening light as well as midnight wake up routine to keep them in veg.

I've seen pictures in a book where they were out in the fields holding lights over the plants at night to keep them in veg is where I got the idea for night time wake up.

• Like 1

It shouldn't take much artificial light to keep them in veg. A few of the LEDs should do the job. I know a guy who used led rope lights inside a gazebo in the morning and evening. Set to 8 hr of dark, leaves them all summer until the sun only gives 12 hr. He believes that the sudden switch to twelves seems to shorten flower time a bit outdoors. I don't know if he's right, but he doesn't seem to have any issues with the plants finishing before the weather kicks in, he's at 41*, around 5000ft elevation. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Justcozz said:

It shouldn't take much artificial light to keep them in veg. A few of the LEDs should do the job. I know a guy who used led rope lights inside a gazebo in the morning and evening. Set to 8 hr of dark, leaves them all summer until the sun only gives 12 hr. He believes that the sudden switch to twelves seems to shorten flower time a bit outdoors. I don't know if he's right, but he doesn't seem to have any issues with the plants finishing before the weather kicks in, he's at 41*, around 5000ft elevation. 

We use a LED flood on a timer to add the extra daylight hours, thought about the rope lights too, might use that this year.

• Like 1

Talking about when to start, glad I don't have plants out.

Those are commercial growers and a house close to one of their grows.

That's a brown roof except it's white with frost.

EarlyStart.JPG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tacman7 said:

Talking about when to start, glad I don't have plants out.

Those are commercial growers and a house close to one of their grows.

That's a brown roof except it's white with frost.

EarlyStart.JPG

Bummer. 

20 minutes ago, Stringy Pete said:

Bummer. 

I would be setting white plastic 55 gallon drums over them babes or little tents made out of plastic sheeting like a bell jar.

Baq

• Like 4