•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

gardenartus

Bug spray

@SPW, a good pic, that's the problem. No such thing as a good pic under the hps. I haven't seen the little bastards with the regular lights on yet.

have a regular spectrum light at the ready in the area, have camera phone at the ready and the focus already zoomed in at 50%

wait for ur prey, turn off hps take pic. biff bam boom and ur done lickity split.

• Like 1

Is that one of those nasty stink bugs, they are rampant here in Michigan the past two years. Brown marmorated stink bug, Asian.

No it's not a stink bug. I've done searches and can't seem to find it. I think it might be some kind of moth, but haven't been able to identify what it is. We have them out here pretty bad, but they never entered the grow room before.

gallery_14187_5117_43672.jpg

gallery_14187_5117_24857.jpg

• Like 1

Sure looks the same in the pics. Guess it could be, but the ones n the grow room are slimmer, and they don't stink. Maybe they just aren't mature yet. I will catch the next one I see and get a better pic. Thanks for the help Gardenartus.

• Like 1

About three summers ago, conifer seed bugs kept showing up upstairs in my old wood (loose) house. Never really saw them before then and now they've thinned out. Mine smell like strong chlorophyll or spruce if you squish them (blue spruce outside). They never went into my grow room that I recall.

https://www.modernpe...seed-bug-house/

Be careful making your spray stronger GA, you could burn your plants and cause more harm than good.

Peppermint oil is very strong and can burn the leaves of your plants if too much is used... 5-8 drops per gallon is plenty. Cannabis plants have soft leaves and may be damaged easily from strong essential oils if not diluted properly.

When it comes to using essential oils to make mixtures to spray plants for pests... making a stronger than recommended mixture us not always better... and it can make matters much worse.

About three summers ago, conifer seed bugs kept showing up upstairs in my old wood (loose) house. Never really saw them before then and now they've thinned out. Mine smell like strong chlorophyll or spruce if you squish them (blue spruce outside). They never went into my grow room that I recall.

https://www.modernpe...seed-bug-house/

They look very similar to each other don't they, you might hit it on the head, that is slimmer like Justcozz says his are.

Be careful making your spray stronger GA, you could burn your plants and cause more harm than good.

Peppermint oil is very strong and can burn the leaves of your plants if too much is used... 5-8 drops per gallon is plenty. Cannabis plants have soft leaves and may be damaged easily from strong essential oils if not diluted properly.

When it comes to using essential oils to make mixtures to spray plants for pests... making a stronger than recommended mixture us not always better... and it can make matters much worse.

Yep, it was a bit too strong, burnt a couple plants, gonna redo this and figure out an amount to make of essential oils themselves, then just add drops to a gallon of water. Think a few things can be left out, think I will stick to rosemary, peppermint, cloves, citronella and geranium. Then add to the gallon of water, a certain amount of drops, the citric acid, soap and oil. Do this a bit different.

This was my recipe, not a recommended one, so really flying by the seat of my pants, or hopefully by those home made wings ;)

Did get rid of bugs, we shall see if any eggs were present and not hit or if this did the trick. Most definitely can not drop the water content in half, that was too strong and burnt a couple. But this will do the trick, if I can find the correct ratios, and change this up for ease of having on hand.

Hempy, Not A Fail, takes practice to become perfect ;) Yep yep, it is not failure, it is the learning curve.

• Like 1

Glad your mix got rid of the bugs. Now just tweak it a bit.

Yes, that bug is also similar. The body is almost identical. But the skinny head and fat legs are different. Oh well, I don't see that it is harming the plants and I haven't seen any more.

yes, it's a different bug. the devil is in the details. i have never see a stink bug that wasn't like the big one queen g shows. yes ur name kills me to type it lol. i have to scram to go eat. haven't even rolled nothing yet. least i have something though. :)

yeah, i saw all those essential oils and i was like wow too much. especially with that small amount of water. i'm going to get NOW essential oil. not to expensive really and i have used it before. peace yall

Actually the first mix was OK< the second time should have did more like cut it by a 4th instead of half of water. I chose those eos after reading these other natural ones on the market. Doing a bit of research, I can fine tune that down better, a few have the same things in them so could be cut out.

lol I will call you SPW< you call me Ms G lol ;)

Do not use this, too hot, fine for low light veg, as soon as it goes under HPS, it fries the plants. It dawned on me I was using the wrong percentage when looking at what the big companies used lol, lesson learned.

• Like 1

GA are you growing any Chrysanthemums in your yard? Actually, Chrysanthemum rosum or Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium are the ones to grow and will work the best for making your own pyrethrum insect spray. This spray is very effective on most insects... it'll even work on the stink bug you mentioned.

Take a small handful of Chrysanthemum flower heads and steep them in a liter of boiling water for an hour, let cool, strain it and pour the liquid into your favorite sprayer and let the fun begin!

Be careful which insects you spray with this stuff, it'll kill the beneficial bugs too... if it gets sprayed, it's a gonner!

This mixture is stronger and more effective than the similar mixture made from tomato leaves.

• Like 2

I almost killed one of my plants, makes me want to cry when I wake up in the morning lol. I beat myself up when I make mistakes, this was a mistake. Now couple have to recoop before I can take clones of them. Now I am scared to put any in flower lol. I know they will be OK< just need to wait a few days, boooooo, I hate when I screw up.

I almost killed one of my plants, makes me want to cry when I wake up in the morning lol. I beat myself up when I make mistakes, this was a mistake. Now couple have to recoop before I can take clones of them. Now I am scared to put any in flower lol. I know they will be OK< just need to wait a few days, boooooo, I hate when I screw up.

Been there done that and more than once, I quit using oils for that reason, especially the peppermint. Habanero spray (home made), Nuke em, DE, and mosquito bits are all I use and since I went to those, no pest to be seen flying or crawling. I do think I will add Desert Growns Chrysanthemum flower recipe to my arsenal, I like that.

Best,

Baq

• Like 1

It is my brain, damaged, and at times does not get things correct, I knew better then this, I would never use those ratios with skin products. SMH< I really hate my brain sometimes.

• Like 1

I have some fruit trees that the bugs like. But more importantly the birds will completely strip in 2-3 days. Cherries, plumbs, apples and pears. Will the habanero spray keep the birds away? Last spring the cherrie tree was full, and I literally got 4 cherries off of it. As soon as they turn ripe, the birds will completely clean out the tree. Not one cherry or seed on the ground.

Wow, little buggers :( It might work, it worked great for spider mites in flower lol. I should have just stuck to that, but I wanted to make something I could just have on hand, with essential oils seem natural choice. The deer are always eating my plums.

Birds don't like wind chimes or shiny things like tin plates, maybe hanging those in and around the trees would deter them.

• Like 2

@Justcozz

My grow buddy has a yard full of fruit trees, Raspberries and Blueberries, only thing that has worked for him is netting, doesn't do much for deer though, they pull nets limbs and all to get at his apples and pears, around here there's as many Deer in the suburbs as in the woods.

Bag

@Gardenartus "it worked great for spider mites in flower lol. I should have just stuck to that, but I wanted to make something I could just have on hand, with essential oils seem natural choice."

Just make up a big batch, I grow my own peppers and freeze them to have when needed for spray and my Habanero / Pineapple Barbecue Sauce. You can make up the spray and keep it in the frig. for month's.

The spray will help with deer until they get use to it! :dribble:

Baq

• Like 2

The Chrysanthemum spray will work and it won't leave a residue on your plants. Since it's an organic compound it breaks down easily after it dries. If you are an insect, good or bad,or a larvae of some type and this gets on you, it'll be over quick and there's no getting away or immunity from it... your dead.

So on to a brighter subject... keeping get deer away from your plants.

There are a lot of man-made repellents around that work, but not for long... and other types of repellents such as powders or sprays that must be reapplied often to continue to work.

I always tend to consider mother nature first... she has plants that may be grown in your yard that deer dislike and will stay away from.

Try growing a barrier, away from, and around your plants using flowering plants like various types of Fuchsia, Black-eyed Susan, Lavender, Narcissus, Yarrow, Marigolds, Oriental Poppy, Peony or cool looking and useful plants like Lambs Ear, Sage or Virginia Creeper.

I'm sure there are plants that I left out, but you get the picture. Another thing you can do is talk to local gardeners in your area and ask then which humane deer repellents they've used, with success, to keep deer out of their gardens.

• Like 4

LOL oh heck I don't care, I am the worst at that, I see and just talk lol. I don't care, as long as the mods and stuff don't mind, talk away :)

• Like 1

[offtopic]

????

The Chrysanthemum spray will work and it won't leave a residue on your plants. Since it's an organic compound it breaks down easily after it dries. If you are an insect, good or bad,or a larvae of some type and this gets on you, it'll be over quick and there's no getting away or immunity from it... your dead.

So on to a brighter subject... keeping get deer away from your plants.

There are a lot of man-made repellents around that work, but not for long... and other types of repellents such as powders or sprays that must be reapplied often to continue to work.

I always tend to consider mother nature first... she has plants that may be grown in your yard that deer dislike and will stay away from.

Try growing a barrier, away from, and around your plants using flowering plants like various types of Fuchsia, Black-eyed Susan, Lavender, Narcissus, Yarrow, Marigolds, Oriental Poppy, Peony or cool looking and useful plants like Lambs Ear, Sage or Virginia Creeper.

I'm sure there are plants that I left out, but you get the picture. Another thing you can do is talk to local gardeners in your area and ask then which humane deer repellents they've used, with success, to keep deer out of their gardens.

Awesome! I've used the various repellents and like you said they have to be re applied, also make trips to my barber for hair cuttings, but I've not thought of plants that deer don't like, great advice!

Also I never did get back with you regarding the explanation you gave me about my Old Faithful clone we've had since 79 that was created from bag seed and colchicine, now it makes sense and I learned something. Your advice is always welcome!

Best,

Baq

Sorry, I thought my [ ] would be more informative than just a "."

I should have checked the "edited" box.

I posted a semi-humorous reply to baqualin but it posted two minutes after DesertGrown's post and it wasn't that funny anymore. :unsure:

• Like 3

I posted a semi-humorous reply to baqualin but it posted two minutes after DesertGrown's post and it wasn't that funny anymore. :unsure:

I'm laughing, so it's still funny! :rofl

Baq

• Like 1

LOL I hate when stuff like that happens lol
  • Like 2