•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Hamme Hydro

What is the best AK -47?

Howdy guys and gals.

I am planning on doing a small round out of seed to select a mother to supply me with AK-47 cuttings.

0025348_molot-vepr-fm-ak-47-762x39-caliber-semi-auto-rifle_600.jpeg

Since i am more into clones, i'd like to hear your opinions. Which AK-47 is the best? Is it the one by Serious Seeds that is also seriously expensive? Or are there better picks or alternatives? I am also open to different strain suggestions that are related to AK-47 and/or upgrades.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 3

your pic seems to be a newer pheno...the original got more wooden parts :)

• Like 4

I read somewhere that te guy from ss lost his original mothers, his ak 47 isn't as good as it was. That's the only thing on ak47 I can contribute...

Maybe look into the cross at bodhi's, that would my pick chosen by the reviews.

Good luck in your hunt :)

• Like 1

I didn't like Nirvana's AK48 or the one from Elite Seeds; not quite like the old Serious seed stock. I've tried Jack47 from Sweet Seeds and every plant of that was ridiculously strong. I'd have to recommend that one.

• Like 1

I bought my AK 47 seeds from I Love Growing Marijuana dot com. This is the only AK strain i have grown. But I like it. It is my favorite sativa, of the ones from my garden. The price seems reasonable.

• Like 1

Well, I would put my money on Joti´s AK - definitely wounds you baaad!

Keep it green!

Wilbur

• Like 2

Back when I was building boxes to grow in, I had a friend, that would set up coffee production plants. When he drew the one in the Netherlands, I gave some money to bring back seeds. I did not seek a specific breeder, or a specific seed seller shop.

I did wanted neville's haze, and he wanted AK47.

It's been years now, but I am pretty sure they came from serious seeds, some Black Label seeds also.

I always worked 3 seeds at a whack. If I find anything worth while, I work another 3 later on and keep labels on everything.

I started the AK's, and I really did not notice how larphy or overly leafed it was, and super compact as the branches were growing out right on top of each other.

She was a nute hog, and totally untrainable, in my small box......then I started to see preflowers inder an 18/6 light schedule??

WTF is that?!?! A first for me.

So not being one to bail out when a normal human being would have, I switched to 12/12, and that plant went nuts.

I was only running a 150 HPS and 70 MH in the box. I did have the floor cut out and sank a huge tub into it, so it looked like the plant was growing out of the floor.

The harvest was great!! The weed sucked however. I mean a hay smell, and very lackluster buzz, but hey I got a shit load of it!!

It all went to making butter, or oil or tincture.

But that was just my experience. I'm not trying to pee on anyone's work.

gallery_340_1652_17475.jpg

gallery_340_1652_83994.jpg

gallery_340_1652_100539.jpg

• Like 7

I always go with the originals, first, if I can get them. I've read nothing but good things about Serious Seeds Ak47, and also read tons of threads claiming such and such a strain "is not the original because he lost the blah blah blah". Good breeders, which Serious certainly is, care about their reputation, they're not going to put out their benchmark strains that suck. They're now saying the same thing about Brother's Grimm's C99 in blogs, I can't believe what some morons write about his "new" strains. And he even states the same on his website, that when he went back in business, he reconstituted his version by combining two separate lines from the originals. Given his history, I'd trust him more than bloggers who've never grown it themselves.

A great example of this is White Widow, my first grow ever, was White Label, as I recall, serious good smoke, but the "ORIGINAL" Mr. Nice version, now called Black Widow, which I waited five years to get, is some seriously crippling smoke, and totally different from the White Label version.

I've been growing Kali Mist from a 10 pack of Serious Seeds I bought over eight years ago, and, it, too, has been "re-worked" somewhere along the line. Western Wind's is supposedly Sagarmatha's version of Kali.

I don't care what a pack of seeds cost, I'm only going to buy them once, in most cases, and I like to start with the originals, if I can get them. Saving $20 or 30 bucks for a lifetime of genetics always seemed foolish to me.

Buy two different versions, from different breeders, and see which one you like, if you want. Holy Grail strains like AK47 cost more for a reason. Odds are, they will both be great, just different.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 7

Thanks for the reviews!

@ Mindless, they often say about classic strains that the breeder lost the mothers, but claims like that are hard to double check. They said that about Sensi's female Super Skunk too, but i grew it and was happy.

@ Gimme5minutes, that Jack47 sound like a good strain and i saw they have a F1 Fast version of it too. Is that just as good? And how do you feel about the current Ak47 by Serious Seeds? Do you think it is still the original?

@ Gardener and Wilbur, i'll keep those in mind too, thanks for your input!

@ Webeblzr, that is a scary story bro, i wouldn't want a shitload of crappy weed! But since it is years ago and rumor has that seeds nowadays ain't the same like they used to, i still may pull the trigger on the strain.

@ Diesldog381, I agree with you that claims about breeders that lost the mothers are often made and that going with different breeders is the best choice!

So, i'll try AK-47 by Serious Seeds and will think some more about what other breeder to pick.

• Like 2

AK47 is on my "to do" list, also. If you go to the actual breeders websites, like Serious, you'll get a more comprehensive description of where the strains are currently. Also, wanted to say, these older strains were the best at the time, and most still are great, but generally rate lower on the THC scale when compared with today's standards.

When googling AK47 for example, I found claims of 13-20%, same with Kali Mist. But I'm generally more interested in the high the strain offers, than it's THC percent. Like a 13% old time Jamaican will have a buzz I prefer to a 28% Ghost Train Haze.

In Colorado, anything under 20% won't even sell anymore. I actually asked for an AK47 in Breckenridge, and the youngling bud tender said, "so you like the REALLY old timey strains, then?" ( I swear I heard him say "grandpa" on the end of that statement)

Almost forgot, I did grow out the auto flowering LowRyder AK47 almost ten years ago, was very nice smoke, as I recall, old school smiley kind of high. No wonder, given it's a mix of all the strains we loved in the early 70's, Mexican, Columbian, and Thai.

• Like 3

Jack47 is great, one puff makes you instantly happier, a joint turns you into a giggling idiot and it go on for hours. I've never tried it outdoors before, maybe something new for this season. The old Serious Seeds stock, like the gear they had around the millennium, that is still what I consider to be top notch. The first time I tried Chronic it literally laid me out on the ground, the only words I could say were "fuck" and "yeah". Sadly, those days are gone. Chronic nowadays is more like Big Bud. White Widow has become White Wood and the AK47 has morphed into something else entirely. The potency is just gone. I used to have such good memories of Serious Seeds, its probably why I'm hesitant to try their new strains like Serious 6.

• Like 2

I'd go with Serious Seeds AK47 too, it's the original strain that they've kept around since '92. It hasn't been changed and nothings been added to it... it's the real deal.

Easy to grow, mostly sativa (65% sativa/35% indica) and a high that will make your day a better one... no matter what!

I agree with dieseldog... stick with the original breeders if you can, more times than not, you'll thank yourself later.

Breeders that have a good reputation will do what is needed to uphold that reputation at all costs. Serious Seeds has one of those reputations and has been a leader in selling quality cannabis seeds globally for close to two decades now. These breeders wouldn't have the reputations they do if they sold bad seeds or made shoddy strains... and they definitely wouldn't still be in business 20 years later.

• Like 2

Chronic is definitely garbage now. But I wonder how serious have kept the magus stuff. Ak was great stuff. If what desert says is true to, then go for that. Great yield and great high. A little pricey but if serious have kept the line true for this long, I feel like they've earned it.

• Like 1

I would go with Serious too and pheno hunt just like any other strain, if it's still for real you will find a keeper in the pack. I even pheno hunt fems, much less variation, but growing Skywalker OG multiple times taught me it's worth it.

Baq

• Like 3

I would go with Serious too and pheno hunt just like any other strain, if it's still for real you will find a keeper in the pack. I even pheno hunt fems, much less variation, but growing Skywalker OG multiple times taught me it's worth it.

Baq

I've gotten a bunch of phenos from the same lines of fems. And I think Barney just posted a mad berry that looked like nothing I've seen yet.

• Like 2

So not sure if many people know but Joey Weed is back and has offering in another corner of the net. His works have always been great. Not only are his hybrids great but has an excellent eye for preservation. That other corner of the net I speak of has some of his AK47 F2's. These are from Serious seed stock. I remember Joey Weed going off the map almost a decade ago, so these come from parent stock that's decently old. Would be a great place to look and pan for some gold. Treasure hunting is fun.

Btw I particularly enjoyed the sour baby poop pheno of AK47. It was my hands down favorite among heavies. I need to go make an order...

• Like 3

Thanks a lot for the replies! I have decided that i will go with the AK-47 by Serious Seeds and leave the other breeders for what they are at this point.

What shall i pick, the female or the regular version?

• Like 6

Thanks a lot for the replies! I have decided that i will go with the AK-47 by Serious Seeds and leave the other breeders for what they are at this point.

What shall i pick, the female or the regular version?

Personally I would go for regs and get a few packs. You're gonna want to hunt the newer AK47 offerings, I would make F2's and search for the perfect AK.

• Like 2

go for the regs.

Also I bet that joey weed offering is way good.

If you are thinking about grabbing a few things from serious get the warlock too. If they kept the line from magus the same, then it's the best weed I've ever seen/ grown. Dead skunk smells and speedy euphoria high.

• Like 2

Apparently Joey Weed Seeds can only be purchased by money order or sending cash to Hempdepot in Canada. The first option is too much hassle in my country and the second too risky, so i'll stick to my guns and will go with the AK-47 regs from Serious Seeds.

• Like 3

Understood, just wanted to throw it out there. I know ordering from Canada can be difficult as well.

Being from the States customs is a bit rough, I've had great success though, Canada takes forever though. Average about a month turn around. Chicago customs is the worst though.

Very interested to see what you come up with. AK47 can be most wonderful smoke.

• Like 3

"What shall i pick, the female or the regular version?" Regular, always. I've got hundreds of Kali Mist seeds I made from one ten pack eight years ago, grown out at least 100 plants over the years, and all pheno's are remarkably consistent, EXCEPT for the smell, every one seems to have a different scent, from no scent at all, to fruit, to garlic skunk, and some are noticeably frostier than others.

Chicago customs sucks, only place I ever lost seeds to customs, and it's a bit unnerving, because they've been known to share address info to surrounding states law enforcement.

• Like 1

The reviews have been very helpful. I will order the regular AK-47 seeds from breeder Serious.

The idea is to select the best AK-47 mother to supply me with cuttings. But i may keep a male too to cross with a clone from the to be mother.

I will keep you posted about the project.

If you get a dude you should cross it with that super skunk!

Ak was one of the first big grows I did. I was younger and it was the wild west. People who had any cut worth a shit started buying guns.

I don't miss those dumb days.

• Like 2